What would you do

I assume all those places flew the flag, but it still isn't something I ever noticed. I didn't spend pretty much anytime around government offices or schools during a lot of the moves and usually only stayed in places for 5 years or so, so I wasn't sure if it was just my experience or if people themselves in other states knew what their state flag was and had one at home to display.

I can't think of anyone that I know that displays a state flag, lots that display the US flag but no states. Maybe I'm an outlier.

I don’t display one at home either. We had them on our cars.

Most of the flags flown here are either LSU, Bama, or Saints. With the Saints being the majority by far.

Last edited:
I also do see some holiday flags (currently Thanksgiving and generic autumn), Philadelphia Eagles 🦅 flags and an occasional rainbow 🌈 flag.

We put it on koozies & t-shirts & flags. It’s everywhere. I don’t have a big flag, but I do own a garden flag replica.

Attachments

• F3DE424F-08FE-495B-940B-15DD837747E5.png
    F3DE424F-08FE-495B-940B-15DD837747E5.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 11
Just a thought here. About all of this representation stuff.
So, if it is okay to judge, confront, threaten, etc... based on some perceived 'representation'.
What was said to the one poster, and what has happened to others, is a threat...
It is censorship. You can't say, do, show this.. OR.
Or what? That is a threat.
I am not assuming that it would be "or somebody might pat you on the pack and pay for your tank of gas at the gas station"

So. Then, knowing that some people might not like something, a gay couple should not represent themselves as gay. (somebody might not like it) A woman who believes in covering her head should not wear a hijab. (somebody might not like it) etc... etc...
I thought that this type of thing was something to fight against.
I thought that freedom of expression was something to fight for.

Ummm, unless it only goes one way. Then it is okay.
It is funny how some just do not seem to see and face their own judgement, hypocrisy and hatred.

Maybe everyone who is from the South should now fight to become a 'protected class'.

Last edited:

Just a thought here. About all of this representation stuff.
So, if it is okay to judge, confront, threaten, etc... based on some perceived 'representation'.
What was said to the one poster, and what has happened to others, is a threat...
It is censorship. You can't say, do, show this.. OR.
Or what? That is a threat.
I am not assuming that it would be "or somebody might pat you on the pack and pay for your tank of gas at the gas station"

So. Then, knowing that some people might not like something, a gay couple should not represent themselves as gay. (somebody might not like it) A woman who believes in covering her head should not wear a hijab. (somebody might not like it) etc... etc...
I thought that this type of thing was something to fight against.
I thought that freedom of expression was something to fight for.

Ummm, unless it only goes one way. Then it is okay.
It is funny how some just do not seem to see and face their own judgement, hypocrisy and hatred.

Maybe everyone who is from the South should now fight to become a 'protected class'.
Knowing some ppl might not like your symbol of racism, I would say no you shouldn’t display it. I don’t condone violence so no one should be threatened, but the pp never explained what the threat was.

Knowing some ppl might not like your symbol of racism, I would say no you shouldn’t display it. I don’t condone violence so no one should be threatened, but the pp never explained what the threat was.

They didn't say anything like "be careful going through xxxx! With that flag they might shoot you" or anything like that. When we stopped for gas, at a rest stop and at a truck stop for food, different people just asked where we were going (it was a large group of people so it was obvious we were with a sports team of some sort) and when we told them, they said "be careful. You may want to take those MS flags off your car when you get into Georgia. It could definitely cause ya'll some problems" Or something to that effect. Its been a long time so I don't remember the exact wording. I think it was in north Alabama.

The people that rode up later and were approached about the flags, it did happen in Georgia and I think (if I remember correctly) it was at a truck stop local to the area they were in or it could have been a local restaurant, I am not positive. Someone just said something about they should be ashamed to have that flag or something like that.

At the rest stop we all stood around and discussed removing the flags but decided that we weren't going to do that.

They were NOT confederate flags nor were they any type of "symbol of racism". They were our state flags.

They didn't say anything like "be careful going through xxxx! With that flag they might shoot you" or anything like that. When we stopped for gas, at a rest stop and at a truck stop for food, different people just asked where we were going (it was a large group of people so it was obvious we were with a sports team of some sort) and when we told them, they said "be careful. You may want to take those MS flags off your car when you get into Georgia. It could definitely cause ya'll some problems" Or something to that effect. Its been a long time so I don't remember the exact wording. I think it was in north Alabama.

The people that rode up later and were approached about the flags, it did happen in Georgia and I think (if I remember correctly) it was at a truck stop local to the area they were in or it could have been a local restaurant, I am not positive. Someone just said something about they should be ashamed to have that flag or something like that.

At the rest stop we all stood around and discussed removing the flags but decided that we weren't going to do that.

They were NOT confederate flags nor were they any type of "symbol of racism". They were our state flags.
Maybe they just didn’t like the state of MS?! Just kiddin’ 😉
But saying you should be ashamed & threatening someone are 2 different things. I agree it’s just dumb though so it was just your state flag.

My experience living in the Northeast is that state flags are mostly only flown outside government buildings. It is not common for people here to display the state flag outside their homes or on their vehicles. I would recognize my state flag if I saw it, but I probably couldn't draw it from memory.

I know the flags of my homestate and where I live now. It stands out more in my home state (CT) than it does here (NY). But you rarely see them outside of an official capacity (government buildings, multiple flag poles, etc.). I can tell you what the flags of a few other states look like because they are unique and are part of that state's culture, like the California flag is everywhere and on everything, same with Maryland and Texas. The rest, I have no clue.

I see Confederate Flags all over Georgia, so maybe it was just Georgia not liking Mississippi?

I love the South, as I've said before on different threads. I don't think the Confederate Flag always represents slavery. However, because I know some people DO & because I'm familiar w/ the connotations associated w/ the flag, I don't display it. And people have to know - if you're displaying a Confederate Flag on your front porch or on your car, some people are going to make some automatic assumptions about you, right or wrong.

I consider my dad a wise man. He's lived in the South his whole life & is a Georgia boy & a Vietnam War vet. He & I talked about the Confederate Flag once, & I brought up the "heritage not hate" argument. And he replied, "But, if you know it hurts some people & causes fear & anger, why would you want to be part of that?" And, then he added, "Besides, we're all the United States now."

We are a free country w/ the liberty for people to display all kinds of different flags. While I don't think the Confederate Flag should be illegal & don't want to erase our history, I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing it reserved for cemeteries, memorials, & museums.

Maybe they just didn’t like the state of MS?! Just kiddin’ 😉
But saying you should be ashamed & threatening someone are 2 different things. I agree it’s just dumb though so it was just your state flag.

LOL! Could have been!

You are right, its not really a threat. It did make the people uncomfortable and throughout the tournament, they only went places that at least one other family was going and that was after the flags were gone! (not sure if others know this but little flags do not keep the color in them being blown around on a car antenna. The color just whips right out of them!) I wonder if they have ever been back to Georgia? It really made a bad impression for them.

Personally, I figured it was one idiot and if that was the way he/she felt, then that was ok. For the most part, the people of Augusta were very nice and welcoming. I think the waitresses at Shoney's got a little tired of us but other than that, it is a lovely area.

I see Confederate Flags all over Georgia, so maybe it was just Georgia not liking Mississippi?

I love the South, as I've said before on different threads. I don't think the Confederate Flag always represents slavery. However, because I know some people DO & because I'm familiar w/ the connotations associated w/ the flag, I don't display it. And people have to know - if you're displaying a Confederate Flag on your front porch or on your car, some people are going to make some automatic assumptions about you, right or wrong.

I consider my dad a wise man. He's lived in the South his whole life & is a Georgia boy & a Vietnam War vet. He & I talked about the Confederate Flag once, & I brought up the "heritage not hate" argument. And he replied, "But, if you know it hurts some people & causes fear & anger, why would you want to be part of that?" And, then he added, "Besides, we're all the United States now."

We are a free country w/ the liberty for people to display all kinds of different flags. While I don't think the Confederate Flag should be illegal & don't want to erase our history, I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing it reserved for cemeteries, memorials, & museums.

Like I said, we were quite surprised by the warnings and really surprised at what was said to one of the family members. I think it was when so much hullaballoo was going on about changing the different flags in the south. Georgia's was changed in 2003 but it was before that. MS voted on our's in 2001. So I think it was when all the discussion/debate was going on and maybe that had tempers a little on edge. And maybe with all the debate that was flying around, some were confused about what was the Confederate flag and our state flag (being Georgia, you wouldn't think that but never know)

I don't disagree with you on the Confederate flag at all. We had the MS State flag. Like most southern flags USED to have, it has a section of the confederate flag, we are just the only state that still has it. (Georgia's was actually bigger, I do believe) And like I said, I do think we should at least vote on it again. There have been other great options presented for a state flag that would still protect the heritage of our state and perhaps include the heritage of ALL Mississippians.

I would have nothing to do with them and would absolutely deter my DD from doing so. It doesn’t seem as if they are seeking you out so I would distract my DD from doing so.

Yes, she will run into many POV’s once out in the world at school but absolutely no reason to put her in those situations.

The Tennessee State Flag has 3 white stars in a blue circle on a field of red w/ a blue bar at the end.

At one point, since elements of the Confederate Flag were used & it was designed by a soldier from the TN Regiment, there was talk of changing it.

Yeah state flag a big thing here too. Flown almost everywhere. Ppl even put the logo on t-shirts & other things. Thankfully the pelican is not controversial though so it’s ok.

The same symbolism on the state flag is also the Official Seal of LSU (albeit with subtle differences in scale). Since the age of 18 I've had the University seal on my car, because I'm an alumnus. There are a lot of people in/from Louisiana who display the pelican in one way or another because of LSU, rather than as a deliberate display of the state flag.

The seal of the University of Georgia also contains the same imagery as on the state flag, though on the seal it is central, and on the flag it is only on one side. I don't know of any other states where the symbolism of the flagship university seal and the state flag are the same, but then again, I really haven't made a study of it.

The same symbolism on the state flag is also the Official Seal of LSU (albeit with subtle differences in scale). Since the age of 18 I've had the University seal on my car, because I'm an alumnus. There are a lot of people in/from Louisiana who display the pelican in one way or another because of LSU, rather than as a deliberate display of the state flag.

The seal of the University of Georgia also contains the same imagery as on the state flag, though on the seal it is central, and on the flag it is only on one side. I don't know of any other states where the symbolism of the flagship university seal and the state flag are the same, but then again, I really haven't made a study of it.
True! It’s on my diplomas & transcripts.

Hhhhmmm? "You', and 'Your'.
Not "What they consider to be...", or "Their..." symbol.
Is this yet another personal attack? That word 'you' when in direct reference to one if my comments,
Hard to see this as otherwise.
Or, possibly, there a reading comprehension issue? Because I have stated that I have not, and neither has anybody I know personally or associate with, displayed that 'symbol'.

And again, Maybe somebody who is not Muslim, sees somebody who represents as Muslim, maybe with the hijab or full beard, as a person associated with hatred. (some do chant "Death to America". and commit heinous violent acts). So, okay, they get to confront and judge, and hate or even threaten, anyone with that perceived 'representation'.

Maybe one sees somebody who has on a church T-Shirt, or a cross, or some other so called perceived "symbol' of hatred, maybe against gays, or whatever. So, that alone justifies judgment, prejudice, hatred, threats, etc.

Remember, as always, things do go both ways.

Hey, if you truly believe that it is okay to judge and confront, etc.. because of some perceived 'representation' that is not clearly construed as hate-speech, then go ahead. OWN that. Just own it.

Okay, I am out here...
Let the justification for judgement and hatred and prejudice continue.

It does, without a doubt, come from all sides. (nobody is immune, nobody has the market cornered.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!