What your parents did wrong that you now do right?

EdmondD

DIS Veteran
I love my folks! We took one trip, when I was 12 and it was a big deal for us, money-wise. It was a good time, but man, they left a lot to be desired when it came to a WDW trip.

We got to the parks well after opening and left early. I remember leaving MK at like, 5, when it was open until 9 and I just couldn't understand this decision.

My dad forced me to order off the kids menu, which I found horribly embarrassing. I pretty much let my kids get whatever looks good to them.

We rode a ride once, and that was considered enough.

My very provincial parents had no interest in the World Showcase. We didn't step foot in there. It remained a mystery to me until I was an adult.

We met no characters.

What are your examples?

If your parents took you to Disney, it sounds like they were at least doing something right.

Just because it's not what you would choose doesn't mean it was the "wrong" way of doing it. Maybe they were happy with how they did it? Now as an adult you get a chance to do it however you like.

The one time I went growing up, we stayed offsite. I remember seeing the Grand Floridian from the TTC boat and wishing we could have stayed there.

Staying offsite wasn't "wrong" and I certainly never complained about it. I was happy just to be at Disney World.

But I will say that staying onsite has been a way to give my son special experiences at Disney that I didn't have the opportunity for as a child.

If your parents took you to Disney, it sounds like they were at least doing something right.

Just because it's not what you would choose doesn't mean it was the "wrong" way of doing it. Maybe they were happy with how they did it? Now as an adult you get a chance to do it however you like.

Meh.

My dad took us to Santa Cruz beach boardwalk many times and did it all wrong. I'd rather not have gone the way we experienced it. Having to beg and beg, having a reluctant father take you, staying an hour...nope.

My husband's father did similar things with Disneyland to his family.

It's ok for the op to have negative opinions on how her parents experienced Disney.

Growing up we never took a family vacation to Disney World. My parents had (and still have) no desire, and that's okay.

My DH and I probably have at least 10 trips in the last 7 years with our kids plus 2 trips before we had any kids!
:flower1: Just our thing I guess

My parents didn't do anything wrong with regard to Disney trips. At least nothing that I can think of.

My only time visiting DW as a child was a 1 day visit. We lived in FL for a period of time when I was a child so it was only about a 2-hour drive. We ate breakfast at home before we left. Lunch was PB&J sandwiches. No FPs back then, or maybe there was and we just didn't know about them. Still ranks as my #1 day at Disney ever.

I remember when I was 9-10 that we did our first Florida vacation including Kennedy Space Center, Universal Studios, and WDW. The only thing is that we did Epcot and MGM Studios parks only and skipped Magic Kingdom. I still ask my dad to this day why we never went to Magic Kingdom and he said it was because we did Disneyland all of the time and it would probably be the same rides/attractions.

However, I think the more important thing is the memories and all of the experiences of that trip, not necessarily what we did/didn't do. There will always be things that you wished you could have done, but it always makes for a great excuse to go back.

However, I think the more important thing is the memories and all of the experiences of that trip, not necessarily what we did/didn't do. There will always be things that you wished you could have done, but it always makes for a great excuse to go back.

I agree. My only WDW experience was when my parents took a wrong turn while we were visiting family in Orlando. I woke up from a nap in the backseat just in time to see the "Welcome to Disney World!" entrance signs. Imagine my disappointment to learn we were *not* going to WDW.

While it was heartbreaking as a kid, we still laugh about that wrong turn. I "fixed" the problem decades later by taking my parents to WDW for their first visit and joking that the Magical Express was going to turn around.

Well I never went as a child at all so all you people that are complaining that your parents did it "wrong" are very lucky. There is not right or wrong way to do Disney. I have been a Mickey fan since I was very little. I had to wait until I was an adult to finally go to a Disney park. Thankfully I married a man who is a huge Disney fan too!! When we heard about DVC we were one of the first people to buy into it. Our kids have grown up with Disney as their second home. My mother never did get it. And that's ok. Disney is my thing, it was never my parents thing. Now for my kids thankfully I raised two Disney fans and hopefully some day I will have grandbabies to bring. A Disney vacation is a luxury that not everyone can experience. My family is very fortunate. We get to go multiple times a year. But even a once in a lifetime trip is more than some people can manage.

Enjoy The Magic!!

My parents couldn't afford to take me, but my Grandpa did. I am pretty lucky and cherish those two trips, especially now that he's gone. He did a lot of things right. The first trip included a relative who new the ins and outs, like King Stefan's Banquet Hall. Epcot was newly open, so we spent a lot of time in the World Showcase, because my Grandpa loved his time in Europe in the Army after WW2, especially Germany. However, we couldn't afford to stay in the onsite hotels. That wasn't their fault, but now that we can, we always stay onsite.

I wouldn't say they did it wrong. But I grew up during a time before digital photography. So we took a few trips to Disney in the mid to late 80's and I have very few photos of those trips. My aunt had a few I could scan. But I wish I had more photos.

My daughter is lucky that with I always have a camera on me. And I print her some to actually hold. Which is also important. If they stay locked up on your phone or computer, what good are they?

My only WDW experience was when my parents took a wrong turn while we were visiting family in Orlando. I woke up from a nap in the backseat just in time to see the "Welcome to Disney World!" entrance signs. Imagine my disappointment to learn we were *not* going to WDW.
:sad:

I never went to Disney World as a child. It wasn't something my parents would have ever taken us to.

My husband went once as a kid and said they got there late and left early because his Dad couldn't stand the crowds. The only park open at that time was the Magic Kingdom.
So it's kind of hard to compare then and now.

When my husband is with me, we usually get to the parks late so nothing has changed there but we do stay until park closing with maybe a break in the middle someplace if we need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!