What's happening? No DVC Resort availability December and January

Lisa01

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know why all WDW DVC resorts are fully booked on Dec and Jan? Very frustrating!

The major downside to DVC is the necessity to plan far in advance. While 11 months is optimal, 7 is practically necessary. As PP said, you're at 3-4 months out and December is typically the hardest month to book.

Actually, I think It is a legitimate question. In my opinion, when EVERYONE is needing to plan 7 months in advance, then the system is too tight. People pay a LOT of money for DVC and should really have a little more flexibility in how they can use it. Disney is not honest in their presentations, they don’t fill their commitments well, and we let them get away with it..

Um you're trying to book for December/January in September?
Xmas eve to New years day is the absolute busiest time of the year.
You need to book well in advance for that time period.
Think April if you want to go in late December.
Also DVC members generally have an 11 month and 7 month booking window and even then I hear of many people being wait listed.
Its much harder to get a DVC room than one might think.

The system is designed for home resorts, everything else at 7 months is a crap shoot. For years the ownership was down so availability was better at 7 months. Now DVC is reaching the point that Disney designed, if you want availability, buy more home resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

Actually, I think It is a legitimate question. In my opinion, when EVERYONE is needing to plan 7 months in advance, then the system is too tight. People pay a LOT of money for DVC and should really have a little more flexibility in how they can use it. Disney is not honest in their presentations, they don’t fill their commitments well, and we let them get away with it..
I totally agree with you. Disney just keeps selling more and more DVC. Even with new resorts opening, the demand outweighs the supply. We bought when it was "the best kept secret." I remember part of the sales pitch was that we could decide last minute to take a long weekend of we chose and it would be no problem. Well, that's gone!

Um you're trying to book for December/January in September?
Xmas eve to New years day is the absolute busiest time of the year.
You need to book well in advance for that time period.
Think April if you want to go in late December.
Also DVC members generally have an 11 month and 7 month booking window and even then I hear of many people being wait listed.
Its much harder to get a DVC room than one might think.
I realize all of this. We have been members for 13 years; however, it was never like this. We used to be able to grab a few days here and there. Even Saratoga is booked now.

I realize all of this. We have been members for 13 years; however, it was never like this. We used to be able to grab a few days here and there. Even Saratoga is booked now.
If you are aware of everything I said then it would seem that you would also be aware that DVC purchasing and renting has dramatically increased in recent years and it's gone very mainstream so everyone knows about it.

Until DVC gets rid of the rental brokers the 7 month availability will never get any better, same goes with the fall frenzy.

I’m not defending the rental brokers. But what you are actually saying is that we should get rid of the rental Brokers so that a lot of people have to just let their points expire because they can’t use them and they can’t get any value from renting them. That way those rooms will be available for the rest of us. Personally I don’t feel that is fair to them.

Now it is true that with the rise of the rental Brokers, Reservations are probably busier now than they had been in the past, because less points are going to waste, and Disney has not adjusted the availability to account for this. And they are probably STILL not taking it into account for future resorts.

For years, many owners let their points expire. That allowed the rest of us to be less concerned about booking right when the windows opened. As the system grew and the internet more prevalent, more owners learned how easy it was to rent their points. The brokers made it very easy. As the economy improved, the demand from non-owners grew to absorb those points and then some. Non -owners have caught on to the booking windows. We longtime owners now have to pay close attention or risk not getting what we want.

Disney hasn't oversold. More owners are using or renting their points instead of letting them expire.

Last edited:
RE: Get rid of Brokers.

Does anyone think that this could/would ever happen?

No. How. It is in the contract that DVC owners have the right to rent their points out. And if an off-site company is a “facilitator” and only functioning as a go-between, but not actually manipulating points themselves, then how are you going to stop it. You can’t stop people from advertising, or talking with each other.

Disney might try to tighten things up a bit, but if they want to place blame for the rise of rental brokers, they have only to look at their own rise in hotel prices. Why would someone pay $500 per night for a room that they can get from a rental broker for $250, and, hey, DISNEY used to charge $250 for that room!

For years, many owners let their points expire. That allowed the rest of us to be less concerned about booking right when the windows opened. As the system grew and the internet more prevalent, more owners learned how easy it was to rent their points. The brokers made it very easy. As the economy improved, the demand from non-owners grew to absorb those points and then some. Non -owners have caught on to the booking windows. We longtime owners now have to pay close attention or risk not getting what we want.
Disney hasn't oversold. More owners are using or renting their points instead of letting them expire.

Once again, BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO USE THEM! (And don’t trust the, frankly, LYING presentation that says, “Oh, sure. You can book almost ANYWHERE at 7 months! OR, you can just go for a quick weekend retreat! IT ISNT A MISTAKE, IT IS A DELIBERATELY TAUGHT AND PROMULGATED FALSEHOOD. The only reason they can get away with it, legally, is that it isn’t in writing. AND, we let them keep doing it.)

Last edited:

Once again, BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO USE THEM! (And don’t trust the, frankly, LYING presentation that says, “Oh, sure. You can book almost ANYWHERE at 7 months! OR, you can just go for a quick weekend retreat! IT ISNT A MISTAKE, IT IS A DELIBERATELY TAUGHT AND PROMULGATED FALSEHOOD. The only reason they can get away with it, legally, is that it isn’t in writing. AND, we let them keep doing it.)
Most everywhere that booking is described, it is followed by "subject to availability ".

FWIW, in the past, it was very often true that most every resort did have availability at 7 months. Many of us could (and did) book "last minute" trips.

People have more money in their pockets these days and want to have a nice vacation. The renters have all learned to book at seven to eleven months out.

There is nothing like overselling DVC. It would be against state law governing timeshares. But you have added Aulani into the mix as well as HHI and VB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!