What's the cheapest way anyone has gone??

LoDivaLoca

<font color=deeppink>Tinkerbell <font color=teal>W
I'm curious...like, has anyone perhaps just booked a room at WDW & maybe never got PHP's? (Maybe just bought I ticket for 1 or 2 days of their trip? and hung around the resort?) Maybe just make the trip shorter - like 4 nites as opposed to 7 or more? Maybe opted not to book a rental car & just gone w/ the WDW transportation??

Just trying to get some ideas cause I'd LOVE to return sometime next year, but just don't know if it's in the budget!! :(

Thanks!

I have never rented a car in Orlando. I usually book a towncar service for transportation between the airport and WDW. This allows me to travel in comfort and stop at a grocery store on the way to WDW to stock up on breakfast items, snacks and drinks. I have found WDW transportation to be adequate for the most part. The most difficult travel is between resorts. Of course you could really cut costs by driving to Orlando. I have done that also to save around $400.00. I have APs, but if I didn't, I would have no problem skipping the parks for a day or two and hanging around the resort. Of course, my choice of resort for this would be a moderate. I find the moderate resorts more comfortable for relaxation than the value resorts. If you feel that you are able to swing an annual trek to WDW, you might want to consider the investment of Annual Passes. It took me three trips within a year to realize I was going to be going back to WDW at least once a year, if not twice and finally purchased Annual Passes. That is a considerable savings over purchasing 4 or 5 day Park Hoppers twice in one year. Not to mention that you might snag a room discount!!

I hope this information helps!

We had annual passes from a trip in October, so, we used them again in January, got two free airline tickets with frequent fliyer miles, stayed at POR with a post card rate and just ate fast food except for Tepenyaki Japan. Very cheap trip coming from Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

We drive down from our home in Georgia. We have annual passes, and for three of our trips this year, got our hotel room on Priceline, once for $30 per night. We bring poptars and other breakfast foods to save in the morning, fill our water bottles at drinking fountains, and bring snack foods from home.

sounds good everyone - thanks for the tips!

In exactly ten days we will be going to WDW for the SECOND time this summer!!! For once in my life I actually WON SOMETHING!!! I was given the choice of Haiwii or WDW!!! To me there was really no choice. Since we already had AP's from our July trip, the company I won the trip from is picking up the whole bill.!! PLUS we will have a little bit of money left over for food expenses.

I was never one to enter contests online, only entered this one becasuse I was buying something from the website and it was a "free" entry. Now whenever I see a contest for WDW or DL I enter it. Never know if my luck can be repeated!!!!

but outside of depending on Lady Chance, we looked for the best deals and kept looking till we found the one that fit us the best. In July we stayed at the WL for $192 including taxes, and had a lagoon view which we could see the MK fireworks from. IT WAS AWESOME!!!

Yea, well I'd LOVE to win a contest! The biggest thing I ever won was $330 at bingo once.....but I keep trying iwon.com anyway.... somebody throw me some pixie dust!!! :)

We are doing exactly that in October!!

We took our girls to WDW for the first time last year and did it up BIG TIME. Of course, another trip was not in the budget quite this soon. However, DH has business in Orlando for a couple days in October so the girls and I are tagging along. Turning a 2-day business trip into a 5-day mini-vacation.

We're flying down Friday night (DH's flight is paid for, we have one FF ticket to use, so we only have to buy 2 at a total of $248/rt) and beginning our stay with 2 nights at ASMu ($49/night). Saturday we plan to catch the bus to MK bright and early and spend the entire day. On Sunday, we're heading off to the beach (which, when you live in the midwest, is a HUGE deal). Sunday afternoon we'll be moving from ASMu to POR-FQ ($99/night) for 3 nights. On Monday when DH goes to work, we're planning to hang out at the resort, use the pool, game room, take the boat to DD, etc. We may possibly hit a park (just mom and the girls) again on Tuesday but it's not in the immediate plan.

Liz

Besides winning a contest.

I know some people would disagree with me, but one of the things we do is have Uncle Sam take a a little bit extra out of my paycheck. Now some people would say, why not put it into a savings account so it can earn interest. We tried that once, and always seem to find reasons why we needed to "dip" into the vacation fund, for house emergencies. This way we don't miss the money, and our vactions are determined by the amount of refund we receive in the spring. hey it doesn't work for everyone, but it does for us.

We just returned from a five day stay with four children. It was actually better to alternate "resort days" with park days. It makes you feel rested and ready to combat the crowds. We spent time at Downtown Disney, at our home resort fishing, riding bikes, visiting other resorts and swimming. We made an event out of eating a meal at another resort and explored for hidden Mickeys and we even went to Epcot for a one hour "free pass". We paid to get in with the intent on shopping and were given a refund after leaving the park within the specified one hour window. The kids loved it and we did too. You can watch fireworks from some resorts, do the campfire thing and petting zoo all for free.

We only buy tickets for two or three parks at a time and buy the bounce back passes to save money. For us it is the most economical way.

We budget for one charactor meal, one counter dinner and one sit down late lunch a day. Breakfast is in the room. I pack snacks in the backpack, drink water mostly and have a cooler full of cokes for resort time.

The best thing is to allow the children a set amount for souvineers which they get to purchase the day we leave at DD with the MKC card discount. That way if anyone acts up they loose a dollar of their money. My kids were never so good after this plan. I also buy little Disney stuff from Walmart, the Dollar Tree and Big Lots before we go too. That way they don't get all bent out of shape if they don't get everything they want.

Good luck.

If you can't get the discounted super rates at the value resorts, you can save a lot of $ by staying at one of the WDW properties on Hotel Blvd over by DD. I know that some people don't care for the Grosvenor, but it's one of my favorite places to stay if I need to save a few bucks, and still be close to the Disney action. I love being able to walk across the street in the evening to get an ice cream cone from Ghiradelli's. You can often get the Grosvenor for $89 on the internet. The Best Western right down that same block might even be a little cheaper.
And, depending on where you live in NJ, you might get a better air far rate in Phila than Newark. You could always drive from NJ (been there, done that...never again!)
You didn't mention if you have kids, or their ages, but I find that renting a small car is about the same price as hiring a car to get you to WDW from the airport. I'd never consider NOT having a car...it's just SO much more convenient. I've even found a car at L&M (they are located in the airport, right next to the Dollar counter) for $77 for a week! That is definitely the least expensive way to go.
Nw, of course if you really want the CHEAPEST way to get to WDW from the airport, take a public bus! You have to make a transfer and it takes about 1½ hours, but it's under $2!
On our last trip, we stayed for 16 days (splitting between offsite, Grosvenor and the then DL). We only had 7 day passes and found lots of other stuff to do for 9 days! Touring the resorts is a fun way to spend a day. Ride the monorail and ask to sit with the conductor! FUN way to ride, with a great view!

WOW - thanks for all the great ideas!!! NCbyrne - I live in the NEXT town over, Westfield! :)

Yea, I agree that renting a car is cheaper than doing TTC or just a little more than shuttles, I'd rather pay for the convenience of coming & going as I please. But checking out the different resorts, and campfires, etc. sounds like a great way to spend time at Disney w/out splurging too much!

Thanks!!!!! :) :) :bounce:

(P.S. I have NO kids - I'm the BIG kid here!!!) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter