What's up with De-theming the Resort Rooms?

Or it appeals to a broader group of people because it's more universal. Too much theming in my room is just tacky. It's why we would never stay at AoA...there's too much going on in those suites, for us. I like calm and relaxing...and a more streamlined look helps with that.

When you stay in a Disney THEMED resort, that's what part of what you're paying for. All the little things in and out of the room that make it NOT a hotel room.

I'll stick with the answer of it's just cheaper to replace and maintain over having all the custom items.

Bonus to that is... who's going to steal plain, white, unbranded towels from Disney if it's the same thing you can go get at Walmart or wherever. If there's nothing unique about them, what's the point of trying to take them home?

I agree with this.

Keep the theming in the main area of the resort. The grounds, the lobby, the pools, etc. I prefer that the rooms are less themed because to me that means they are "calmer". I don't need crazy, in your face, and busy when it comes to the place I sleep. I get enough of that in the parks! I need someplace I can rest and relax.

Plus, I personally prefer the new aesthetic.

To me there is a huge area between crazy, in your face (looking at you AoA) and plain and boring (sorry new Pop rooms) and Disney should be in that area. The reason I stay away from AoA is I always think that if I wasn't feeling well, the room would make me feel worse. But they still could have a few more Disney touches in the new rooms than what they are putting in.

Answer: $$$.

That is all.

Generic furniture is easier to replace than custom made. It's also cheaper. So while the rates skyrocket, the quality decreases.... y'know, like the food.
How is it immediately that quality is decreased? I think it actually looks nicer. I have not stayed in one of these rooms so I don't know the actual quality of the pieces, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is "bad" for everyone. Or in general. Just to you really.

When you stay in a Disney THEMED resort, that's what part of what you're paying for. All the little things in and out of the room that make it NOT a hotel room.

I'll stick with the answer of it's just cheaper to replace and maintain over having all the custom items.

Bonus to that is... who's going to steal plain, white, unbranded towels from Disney if it's the same thing you can go get at Walmart or wherever. If there's nothing unique about them, what's the point of trying to take them home?

You're still staying in a THEMED resort. When I stay at the GF, I don't feel any less "Victorian" when I'm in my room versus the lobby. There's nothing wrong with the rooms not being too busy. There's also nothing wrong with them using less personalized items, making them easier to replace, thus everything having less wear and tear because it can be replaced more frequently. Just because it's less themed doesn't make it lesser quality.

How is it immediately that quality is decreased? I think it actually looks nicer. I have not stayed in one of these rooms so I don't know the actual quality of the pieces, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is "bad" for everyone. Or in general. Just to you really.

When I see that the cool little things that made the rooms stand out from something off-site are gone, that's a decrease in the quality. Again, the Disney resorts are themed. People are paying for that theme. Who wants to stay in the Poly on the outside, but look like you're staying at the Holiday Inn on the inside? I want a Poly experience on the inside and outside of the resort. Same for values, mods, etc...

Also, anything after "I have not stayed...", I disregarded.

Wow, I didn't know this would be such a polarizing issue. I started the thread out of curiosity over what may be driving the changes in room décor. Maybe the majority of guests prefer the plainer rooms. Maybe that is why the change.

When I see that the cool little things that made the rooms stand out from something off-site are gone, that's a decrease in the quality. Again, the Disney resorts are themed. People are paying for that theme. Who wants to stay in the Poly on the outside, but look like you're staying at the Holiday Inn on the inside? I want a Poly experience on the inside and outside of the resort. Same for values, mods, etc...

The Poly rooms are still plenty themed without being obnoxious.

I don't know. Mickey Mouse ears on wooden chairs are like towel animals to me. If I stayed there and saw those once and they were gone the next time, I would miss them, but I really can't see declaring that I'd stay at Holiday inn instead of an on property resort because of it.

Plain is "classier"? Have you ever seen Buckingham Palace?
Believe it or not I don't call that classy, I call it loud and ostentatious. I prefer the more simple decor. I don't pick the resort for the decor exactly, at least not the carpet or bed linens. It's the over all look that goes beyond what is in the room.

The resorts I like the least are the values with the loudest, or biggest, decorations

Then that is your opinion.

And now that I have had time to look at photos, I have stayed at POFQ since they were changed to a less themed interior. I prefer the new look over the old look by a TON. And I felt the quality was just fine. So I simply do not agree with your definition. There is still a theme in the rooms. It's just not as in your face as it used to be. Even in PoP. Look at the "headboards" over the beds. Those are adorable and well themed... but not obnoxious like the old styles could be.

Plus, at least now it looks modern and not outdated. My biggest issue with the old rooms. SO outdated.

I've even noticed wood floors in some of the resorts....which is actually something I like! I think the themed carpets are cute and everything but it looks nicer with wood flooring and I'm sure it's easier to clean! I've also noticed the bedding has changed to mostly white linens with a comforter at the foot of the bed..which is also something I like. I do feel sorry for the kids because they don't get to see some of the really cute stuff in the rooms that we enjoyed. I had also stayed at POFQ before the re-model and think it looks way better too! it just used to be too over done...now it's more subtle but still a beautiful resort to stay at.

I'm also a fan of the new decor. A lot of the rooms looked very dated. I don't know if I'm a fan of the wood floors though. Carpet is just so much cozier. I know it's harder to clean, but I like having carpet in my bedroom.

My favorite room at Disney was a 1 bedroom in BLT. It wasn't over the top Disney, but I still felt immersed in the magic. The decor was so sleek.

I will say I'm not a fan of the new Pop rooms, but I've never stayed there and probably won't any time soon. I saw it described as a hospital room, and I think that description hit the nail on the head.

Then that is your opinion.

And now that I have had time to look at photos, I have stayed at POFQ since they were changed to a less themed interior. I prefer the new look over the old look by a TON. And I felt the quality was just fine. So I simply do not agree with your definition. There is still a theme in the rooms. It's just not as in your face as it used to be. Even in PoP. Look at the "headboards" over the beds. Those are adorable and well themed... but not obnoxious like the old styles could be.

Plus, at least now it looks modern and not outdated. My biggest issue with the old rooms. SO outdated.

Then we agree to disagree.

I like the look of the new Pop rooms. The upgrade to the bathroom is really nice with a barn door instead of a curtain, plenty of shelves and a wand shower along with a regular shower head.

I also like the way the new Yacht Club rooms look. The Mickey lamps were adorable in the old room, but the furnishings were very outdated. The new look is very nice, in my opinion.

We'll be staying in the refurbed YC rooms this fall, and I'm looking forward to it. I've compared photos of the old and new rooms, and the old rooms look a bit "much" to me. I also like the idea of the laminated floors (I'm sure they're much easier to keep clean than carpet, especially with the humidity). My only concern is that it might be noisy, but I bring earplugs anyway and I'll toss my white noise machine into my suitcase.

This is sad to hear. DH and I spent a night or two at Pop Century Music years ago. We are going to POFQ in two weeks. I'm looking forward to waking up and knowing I am in a Disney hotel. We own a timeshare near AK and could just as easily stay there.
Staying at POFQ being able to boat to DS , walking along the river, taking the Disney bus to the parks are all we need to feel we are in Disney. Before I married DH I stayed off property . The not driving past every chain restaurant from home plus the traffic is all I need to know I am in a Disney hotel.

Add me to the list of those who like the newer decor. Our first trip was in 2013, and I thought we would stay at one of the deluxe resorts. I got on the Disney website to look at them, and was horrified at the prices, particularly because I thought the rooms looked terrible, especially those bedspreads!

I didn't know back then that the official Disney site is just about the worst place to go for Disney information, and I later found out that the website pics were old and most (if not all) of the deluxe resorts had already switched to white linens at that time. However, for that first trip, the bedspreads alone were enough to push me offsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter