What's wrong with my brownies????

BellyBaby

I swear Walt had OCD, too!
I am at my wit's end, and I'm hoping someone out there knows what the hey I am talking about!

I have used the same brownie recipe for years. They were rich, chocolately, had that nice little "crackle" on top that made it decadent. :cloud9:

I have since moved, and now they are dry, like a heavy cake, and do not have that nice "crackle" on top or a rich chocolate taste.

I CANNOT for the life of me figure out what is going on. :confused: This is the scoop so far:

1. The obvious - it's the very same book, same recipe.

2. Altitude is the same from old house - new house.

3. I no longer have a gas stove in the new house...but I've baked in a regular stove before for years and was able to make good brownies.

4. I've tried using different size pans...8x8, 9x9, and what the recipe calls for, 13 x 9. No difference.

5. I'm using real butter now. Just realized that one now....hmmmm. But you'd think that would make them better, not worse....?

6. I have used half sugar, half Splenda, but pretty sure I've tried whole sugar because of the yucky outcome with my dry brownies since moving to the new home.

7. I use free range eggs now, can't see how that would make a difference???

That's all I can think of. If anyone can see something obvious, I'd love to hear it. :idea: I hate wasting food, but yet hate wasting calories not enjoying a good, rich, fudgey brownie. I figure if I HAVE to ice a brownie to make it taste edible, it's not a good brownie. Period. :sad2:

This whole post probably sounds pathetic, but I've been eating bad brownies for a year now, finally thought maybe the Dis crowd would know what to do. Like I said, it's my same recipe I've used for years. I think my house is brownie-haunted. :scared: Help please!

My guess is that the oven temperature is off causing the brownie to be over-cooked.

There definitely is a difference between margarine and butter. While I agree that butter is better, I think it's more what you are used to. Since it is a change, it could be causing a change you don't like.

Good luck.

I may try the margarine instead, it's the only thing that is different besides the oven.

I forgot to mention that I did buy an oven thermometer awhile back while adjusting back to the electric oven.

I should try a basic mix, and if that doesn't work, then it's definitely the oven!

My old oven cooked way hot and fast, so everything had to be cooked on a lower temp and for less time - I'm still finding things (after nearly 2 years) that I need to adjust timings and temps back to the recipe. (Especially toad in the hole).

does sound like your oven is a bit hot. Also, are your eggs smaller maybe?

My guess is that the oven temperature is off causing the brownie to be over-cooked.

::yes:: Oven temperatures can be off by 25 degrees in either direction from the temperature marked on the dial.

Also, electric stoves take longer to heat up. So, if you used to let the oven pre-heat for 5 minutes, let this one heat for 10 minutes and turn the over all temperature down a little while cooking.

You could also try moving the oven rack up or down. Each oven heats differently and has hot & cold spots.

Alternately, take the brownies out of the oven sooner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter