Wheelchair 'compatable' winter coat?

LoriWV

Mouseketeer
We visited with my great-uncle last night. He is 96, and having more and more problems with mobility. He currently has a fleece jacket that is difficult for him to put on (reduced arm mobility, difficulty standing up, etc.). He loves going on outings from the nursing facility he lives at, but it can get mighty cold. Any suggestions (especially from experience) for something that would be nice and toasty, but not so hard to maneuver? I've "Googled" it, but the quality, etc. of the choices out there are not entirely clear from the descriptions. Mom and I may opt to do this for him instead of getting Christmas gifts for each other if the cost is significant. (If this is to "Un-Disney" and there is a better spot to post, please let me know!) Thanks so much!

Just noticed the community board. If these needs to be moved there, please move or let me know process for doing so. I apologize for the confusion/mis-post!

Since it’s for a a Christmas gift, I’m going to leave it on this board for now. This board gets a lot more views than the disABILITIES Community board.

This sounds like a very thoughtful gift!

My daughter is a wheelchair user and we live in Minnesota, so dressing for winter weather is a concern for us. She also is active in a couple of groups for wheelchair users, so we have seen a lot of different ways to adapt coats.

If you think a poncho or cape will work, you can find those on Amazon.com. A couple of people we know use them along with arm warmers since capes only keep your arms warm as long as they are inside the cape/poncho.

Depending on his flexibility, a coat a size larger might work. We’ve had good luck with Columbia brand, especially the ones with a feature that reflects heat back to the wearer - I cant think of the name right now. The most important thing is to not have fleece or flannel lining on the coat or sleeves. Those catch on the clothing underneath and are hard to get on/off.

Finding adaptive coats is hard and there are few companies. You need to order them online, so you can’t see the quality and they are usually more expensive than a ‘regular’ coat.
Everyone I know who has an adaptive coat is using a regular coat that they adapted. If you (or someone you know) is handy with sewing, you can do it yourself; if not, you can find a tailor shop that can do it for you.
I don’t have time now to go into how to adapt a coat, but I’ll post more tonight.

what about a bed jacket style? they are shorter so won't be as bulky when you sit down. I always just use a lap blanket for my legs anyway. Down is light, but nice and warm.

We purchased a "soccer blanket" from LL Bean - warm fleece on one side, water proof nylon on other. Modified by cutting a square to use as a "flap" the added ribbed material to the edge of the square to be more of a turtleneck style opening. Then added the "flap" back to that area can be closed. In winter our son uses this as a cape that can easily tuck in all around the chair with nylon side "out" and in spring/fall/summer travels with us as a very comfortable blanket (nylon side against the ground to keep us dry from any ground moisture) for stretching out watching soccer games.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I'm thinking we might need to go the poncho route for now. My brother is a PT and is trying to check some of the resources he has, as well. We have an excellent local seamstress who might be able to work with a regular coat, but her plate is often full, so I'm not sure how long we would be waiting. I'll look forward to any info you can share on adapting coats, SueM, just in case we hit it lucky and it is a down time for her. Again, I really appreciate the help and support so far!

Didn’t have time to post last night.

To modify a coat, the easiest way is to cut the back.
Start at the bottom and end the cut at least several inches below the collar - you don’t want to cut the collar.
If you use a down jacket, be prepared for feathers all over - best to use a coat with fiberfill.
Fleece is easiest to adapt because the seams don’t need to be finished (much or at all) - cut edges won’t ravel.

I actually found a good Step by Step tutorial with photos: http://adaptingcreatively.blogspot.com/2010/11/split-back-wheelchair-jacket.html
She used Velcro to close the back, but I’ve also seen a zipper, just leaving it open and pushing it behind the person or attaching a flap to one side to wrap around.
If you are using fleece, you won’t need to finish the edge as much as she did.

Some other hints:
- the opening doesn’t need to be exactly at the center of the back. It may be more comfortable offset to one side so the seam/closure isn’t right on the spine. Not as much a problem with Velcro, but might be better with a zipper.

- If using Velcro, I’d suggest soft Velcro if your garment is fairly lightweight. It’s more flexible, won’t catch on things as much and is more comfortable if you are putting pressure against it. It works well for fleece or other lightweight fabric and should work with some quilted fabrics. Really good for fleece since it won’t stick as much to fleece as regular Velcro does. https://www.velcro.com/products/for-fabrics/900205__sew-on-soft-flexible/

- extension flaps can be very simple - just something to tuck in behind the person. Fleece works well for that.
Other alternatives with a flap would be to open the coat down the center back, but have one flap that is long enough to pull over to one side, almost to the side seam.
You can secure the flap to the side with Velcro or a separating zipper. One side of the zipper/Velcro would be attached to the flap and the other to the outside of the coat near the side.

- I’ve seen coats with back zippers, but that would be my last choice. Harder to put a zipper in and hard against the back. If you use a zipper, I would make a flange of fleece or something on the underside so the zipper has a little more padding between it and the skin. Attaching a loop to the zipper pull also helps with getting it on and off.
The person needs to be able to lean forward more using a zipper than with Velcro or fleece flap.

I’ve also seen people open up the arm/side seam on one arm. You would close it similar to closing the back with Velcro the way the tutorial shows. That works best for a really simple coat/jacket with a single layer - like fleece jacket without cuffs.
That kind of jacket is pretty easy to put on, especially if the person can’t lean forward much.

Hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask questions if it doesn’t.

Here’s a website that sells wheelchairs coats.
https://xabilitystore.com/

The story of how the company was formed
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...elchair-users-mother-girl-cerebral-palsy.html

I just saw this company's info on another site and thought of you. the whole point of the coat was the mother wanted something easy to put on her wheelchair bound daughter who has CP. they make adult versions in regular length and also full body length. it looks like you spread the coat over the chair first and then sit down, and it sort of wraps around.

I just saw this company's info on another site and thought of you. the whole point of the coat was the mother wanted something easy to put on her wheelchair bound daughter who has CP. they make adult versions in regular length and also full body length. it looks like you spread the coat over the chair first and then sit down, and it sort of wraps around.
I’ve seen video of it being put on.

That is exactly how it is done. The coat gets put onto the wheelchair, then the person gets/is lifted on and the coat is fastened around them. Having struggled to put a coat, snow pants and boots on my daughter when she was little, I can really appreciate the ease of an all in one solution!
It’s a great idea and very creative, but the person still needs flexibility to get their arms around and into the sleeves. There are no features to help with that.
Their shorter length coats have holes for straps, etc. but not for getting sleeves on easier.

Thanks so much to everyone who took time to make suggestions! We talked with my great uncle. He was most excited about the idea of the cape/poncho, so that is what we went with for now. I'm saving the information on adapting coats, though, in case he changes his mind. (I also work with a number of students who may benefit from the info, so it will be great to have that on hand to pass along to families. ) For now, Uncle Vince is thrilled with the idea of staying toasty on outings without pain. Thanks for helping to make that happen!

Something that I know can help a lot is to replace mechanical closures (snaps, zippers, buttons) with magnetic fasteners. Dryzt makes a set they sell at most fabric shops and less fancy sew-in magnets can be bought on Amazon much cheaper (https://www.amazon.com/Raza-Magnetic-Clothing-Accessories-Fasteners/dp/B0744JVT8P)*

The magnets are what's called rare-earth magnets and they are very strong. Not so strong as to prevent even a weakened fellow from pulling them apart but strong enough to hold a coat closed. And there is no fumbling to get them to close, just get the two sides of the coat close and ... ~snap~ they jump together.

*I hope link is okay. It's just for example purpose, I'm not selling the things.

Something that I know can help a lot is to replace mechanical closures (snaps, zippers, buttons) with magnetic fasteners. Dryzt makes a set they sell at most fabric shops and less fancy sew-in magnets can be bought on Amazon much cheaper (https://www.amazon.com/Raza-Magnetic-Clothing-Accessories-Fasteners/dp/B0744JVT8P)*

The magnets are what's called rare-earth magnets and they are very strong. Not so strong as to prevent even a weakened fellow from pulling them apart but strong enough to hold a coat closed. And there is no fumbling to get them to close, just get the two sides of the coat close and ... ~snap~ they jump together.

*I hope link is okay. It's just for example purpose, I'm not selling the things.

I love the idea of the magnets - I think it's very clever, but I do have a concern about laundering the clothing after the magnets are sewn into the garment.

If the magnets "stick" to the drum of the washer or dryer (or even the drum of the dry cleaners equipment) then it is quite possible that the garment will not be completely cleaned, or dried, and may even cause issues with other items in that same load.

Most modern laundry equipment (that I have personal experience with) has either a porcelain-coated steel drum, or a stainless steel drum.

One of the reasons that Velcro remains a universally popular closure method on garments for the elderly and/or disabled is because it is *much* softer and more pliable now as well as not causing problems in the laundry if the Velcro closures are fastened together prior to laundering.

The poncho from Silvert's arrived yesterday and Mom took it straight up to Uncle Vince (the nursing home he is in is about an hour away from us)! She said it looked warm and durable. He was absolutely delighted. Had her take it straight to the laundry to get his name ironed in, and is looking forward to opportunities to wear it out and about. Many thanks to all of you for the suggestions and support along the way!

I love the idea of the magnets - I think it's very clever, but I do have a concern about laundering the clothing after the magnets are sewn into the garment.

If the magnets "stick" to the drum of the washer or dryer (or even the drum of the dry cleaners equipment) then it is quite possible that the garment will not be completely cleaned, or dried, and may even cause issues with other items in that same load.

Most modern laundry equipment (that I have personal experience with) has either a porcelain-coated steel drum, or a stainless steel drum.
Well hrmm... I may be too clever by half...
With the drizt type closures the magnet is actually recessed into the 'button' and I think would prevent it sticking willy-nilly to the wash machine. This type is sometimes used on purse closures (to give an idea of what I'm talking about). If one has a stainless steel wash drum, the magnets might not stick but can't say for sure without testing it. Stainless steels vary in composition with some of them being, what's called, austenitic; non-reactive to magnets.

Well hrmm... I may be too clever by half...
With the drizt type closures the magnet is actually recessed into the 'button' and I think would prevent it sticking willy-nilly to the wash machine. This type is sometimes used on purse closures (to give an idea of what I'm talking about). If one has a stainless steel wash drum, the magnets might not stick but can't say for sure without testing it. Stainless steels vary in composition with some of them being, what's called, austenitic; non-reactive to magnets.

LOL I'm going to put you in charge of that research! ;)

Another problem with magnets is their ability to negatively affect things like credit cards. Pass a credit card too close to a magnet and you strip the info from the magnetic stipe. Not necessarily a problem with today's chip cards, but can still be an issue.

SW

I’ve actually seen some magnetic closures on clothing for disabled access. The issue I’ve seen with it is that they can pop open pretty easily. We got rid of the piece of clothing my daughter had with magnets for that reason.

I’ve got some purses with them on, too. One has a strong set of magnets that it’s hard to get open. The other doesn’t hold well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!