Wheelchair/Das/best way to help my kid?

Garden

Earning My Ears
Hi! We booked our weeklong DW vacation at the end of last year, thinking my 10 year old's foot pain issues were temporary. They are worse, and the new doctor says the first doctor's treatment probably made everything worse. Great.

Anyway, her challenge is both feet/lower legs. Standing for a long time is painful. Walking for a long distance is painful. It is all cumulative - the inflammation makes each additional distance more painful. She can walk about one mile/day, if it's all spread out over the course of a day. This would spare her most of her pain until the end of the day (when she asks to be carried upstairs and cries while she stands and brushes her teeth). If she tried to walk a mile at once, she would be in a lot of pain.

She can physically walk (some), and I don't want to overstate her physical challenges. One day at Disney without assistance would be way too much, and a full week, forget it.

Should I rent a wheelchair first thing each morning and make her ride in it the whole day? Should I see how much she can push it the first day before getting one (this could result in a ton of pain on Day 2 and/or wheelchairs running out). When I spoke with a cast member, she suggested DAS. I only sort of understand it, but I read online somewhere that is doesn't exist anymore or is only for severe cases? She can wait for a ride, but the standing part might be very difficult. Do I just push her through the line in a wheelchair? That seems disingenuous, too, as she can walk and transfer herself.

I would appreciate any advice on how to handle this. We won't see her doctor before we leave (in a few days), but we will see her PT. I think it's possible her feet will hurt quite a bit by the time we get through security each morning...

Get the wheelchair first thing, or even consider renting from an offsite vendor, no sense pushing her when you know it will cause pain and possibly ruin the trip. if you get one from an offsite vendor you can use it at the resort (there can be quite a lot of walking at the resorts )and also between the parking lot/bus stop and the entrance to the parks. plus, if you get one off site and you are using the buses she can wait in it while waiting at the bus stop (which can take a long time), and on the bus (they get crowded with standing room only fast, and it is no guarantee anyone will give up a seat for her). you do not get a DAS for using wheelchairs, most of the lines are wheelchair friendly and the few that aren't you will be directed to a separate entrance. I'm not sure why the cast member recommended a DAS, because it is not meant for mobility issues; it's hard to believe but many of the cast members you speak to on the phone don't actually work at the parks and in reality have no idea how things work! take her through the lines in the wheelchair; my daughter does not usually use a wheelchair but she does at disney. first time we went we used the chair for getting around the parks but did not take it into line. big mistake, for many of the rides the distance from the entrance to the actual ride is much farther than you realize, and when you are doing multiple rides a day it really adds up. we take the wheelchair into lines now, and it conserves her energy so much better.

A person does not have to be 100% unable to walk to use a wheelchair. It's just a tool. At most of the rides it will actually be so much easier for her to transfer out of a wheelchair to enter a boat/vehicle if she can walk a few steps. Save those precious few steps she has available to her so she can ride something like Peter Pan or the People Mover.

When I could still walk some unassisted I used to park outside the restroom and then walk in and could use a non-handicap stall. It's okay to get up from a wheelchair and walk. Your child is too young to use an ECV so the wheelchair is really her only option. I strongly recommend renting from off site. There's so much walking around resorts and to use transportation.

I'd plan on renting the wheelchair. It sounds like you know her limits pretty well, and the way you describe her situation makes me think that trying to push it on day one and seeing what happens is not going to be fun for any of you. I definitely wouldn't make her use it though. Again based on what you said, it sounds like when she hits her limit she'll know. As has already been mentioned, check with outside vendors to have the wheelchair throughout the trip. It might actually end up cheaper then renting in the park every day.

On a slightly different note, here's a little advice from someone who has been that kid. If she is responsible and can handle it physically, don't push her all the time. If it's not a crowded area, let her have some freedom with it. That's a point my dad and I still get into screaming fights about. I would stay out of the wheelchair and push myself too hard simply because how he would handle the wheelchair drove me nuts.

Hi! We booked our weeklong DW vacation at the end of last year, thinking my 10 year old's foot pain issues were temporary. They are worse, and the new doctor says the first doctor's treatment probably made everything worse. Great.

Anyway, her challenge is both feet/lower legs. Standing for a long time is painful. Walking for a long distance is painful. It is all cumulative - the inflammation makes each additional distance more painful. She can walk about one mile/day, if it's all spread out over the course of a day. This would spare her most of her pain until the end of the day (when she asks to be carried upstairs and cries while she stands and brushes her teeth). If she tried to walk a mile at once, she would be in a lot of pain.

She can physically walk (some), and I don't want to overstate her physical challenges. One day at Disney without assistance would be way too much, and a full week, forget it.

Should I rent a wheelchair first thing each morning and make her ride in it the whole day? Should I see how much she can push it the first day before getting one (this could result in a ton of pain on Day 2 and/or wheelchairs running out). When I spoke with a cast member, she suggested DAS. I only sort of understand it, but I read online somewhere that is doesn't exist anymore or is only for severe cases? She can wait for a ride, but the standing part might be very difficult. Do I just push her through the line in a wheelchair? That seems disingenuous, too, as she can walk and transfer herself.

I would appreciate any advice on how to handle this. We won't see her doctor before we leave (in a few days), but we will see her PT. I think it's possible her feet will hurt quite a bit by the time we get through security each morning...

Yep - what everyone else here said.

Rent from an outside vendor for 2 reasons: First, depending on where you stay, some of the Disney World Resorts are HUGE in and of themselves; let's encourage her to ride there, to save her steps for the Parks! :) Secondly, the Parks rentals (that you will rent just at the entrance to each of the 4 Disney Theme Parks) are heavy-duty, old and get beat up. Most rentals will be lightweight, and typically in better condition. Additionally, you can make sure you rent a chair that is appropriate for your daughter; although it seems OK to just pop a 10 year old into a wheelchair, she will be better served in a chair that is the right size for her. Since her feet and legs hurt, you will want to have a chair that her foot rests can be adjusted to her leg length when sitting, to help support her feet and lower legs.

Bring along a pair of inexpensive bike gloves (Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon) in case you start to develop blisters from the hand grips on the chair.

Plan on bringing along some battery powered lights (and some loops of Velcro One Wrap to hold them on) to decorate her rental chair - and you can also drape a Disney-themed beach towel over the seat to dress it up as well! In fact, put her in charge of ideas for decorating her rental chair! Remember that Velcro One Wrap, blue painters tape and zip ties are your friend :)

Keep an eye on areas that are exposed more to the sun - so when she is sitting in the chair, tops of ears, shoulders, arms, tops of her legs, knees and tops of her feet can all get sunburned, so sunscreen is in order. She won't be able to see as well, so consider having a family member walk a few steps ahead of your daughter and her pusher to create a "bubble" that will help her be able to see! It also helps keep people from walking right into her.

Our daughter is now an adult, but she is a bilateral club foot "survivor" - so I understand exactly where you are now. Work with PT to see if you can identify exercises to help keep muscles stretched, remember that soaking her feet/legs in a warm tub or pool may help prevent cramps, and make sure that she is wearing good, supportive shoes so that every step does not do more damage. If she has AFOs or SFOs, make her wear them, and get a couple of pairs of BraceSox. And last but not least, if you haven't, call the Shriner's Hospitals for Children; they don't care if you have insurance or not - they just care if they can help your child. Our daughter would not be able to walk today without the care she received at Shriners.

And become familiar with Spoon Theory.

I would get her a wheelchair from off-site ( the top of this page has some places you can get a wheelchair off-site) so this way she will have it for outside the parks too.

I would have her stay in the wheelchair as much as she wants to you can take the wheelchair through the lines and up to the boarding area for the rides, she can then get out and on to the rides itself. ( this will be more walking then you think) you can also let her know that if she would like to walk some then she can but I would keep the wheelchair close by in case she needs to sit.

It sounds like a wheelchair will meet all her need ( since she can not stand or walk fair) so a DAS will not be needed.

good gravy. DEFINITELY rent a WC from offsite. the average person walks 8-10 miles a day in any of the parks. if all she can do is one per day cumulative by half way through day one she will be unable to function for the rest of the week.

another saying off site vender for wheelchair. main reason at end of day when she is in most pain chair has to be left inside the gate. no where near transportation be it your car, tram, bus, boat or monorail. then when you get you will have a walk to your room. and at prepark security you can not send someone to get chair and bring to her just as end of day they are not allowed out the gate. yes the chair would go with her thru the line until she loads and it will be waiting where she gets off. there are a few that can take a chair People Mover and the train in MK but you can take it folded with you if not getting off at same stop you boarded. plus usually the rental is cheaper off site and some have smaller chairs more her size

I agree with the suggestions for renting a wheelchair from an offsite vendor. And try to get a smaller-sized model; not all vendors have them but check around as I know at least a couple do. She’ll be much more comfortable in the right size seat; too big could cause backache to sit in it much of the day for multiple days in a row.

Another option is a special needs stroller. But at 10 years old she may think that’s babyish and prefer a “grown up” option of a wheelchair. You know her disposition best, or offer her a choice. If you do go with the stroller, stop at Guest Relations for a stroller-as-wheelchair tag which will allow the stroller to go through queues.

Enjoy your vacation!

The replies were incredibly helpful, thank you! We’ve rented a small wheelchair from Apple. Guy on phone confirmed that the foot rests are adjustable.

DD is now on board, which was the biggest hurdle.

Love the battery lights and giving her some control suggestions. And the bike gloves!! I’m v. familiar with spoon theory as I have some health issues myself. We’ll let her spend her spoons where it is important to her.

I hope we’ll be able to park the wheelchair near the front of restaurants, etc. I don’t have experience with what they allow due to space/liability.

Thank you everyone!

When you make your ADRs note that you have a need for disability access. I have always been able to take my ECV to the table where I transfer to a chair and the person who has seated me moves my ECV to a place for storage during the meal. At the end of the meal it is returned to me.

The same process would work for a wheelchair or she could remain seated in it for the meal is she so desired.

I would rent a wheelchair from offsite personally. As for restaurants, request accessibility when booking reservations, if they are already booked, you should be able to modify them to add it. She could either use the wheelchair at the table or you can take it to the table and it can be moved just like an ECV. The choice is generally yours to make, after all they couldn't deny access to someone just because they can't transfer.

The replies were incredibly helpful, thank you! We’ve rented a small wheelchair from Apple. Guy on phone confirmed that the foot rests are adjustable.

DD is now on board, which was the biggest hurdle.

Love the battery lights and giving her some control suggestions. And the bike gloves!! I’m v. familiar with spoon theory as I have some health issues myself. We’ll let her spend her spoons where it is important to her.

I hope we’ll be able to park the wheelchair near the front of restaurants, etc. I don’t have experience with what they allow due to space/liability.

Thank you everyone!
granted I was using an ECV not a chair but I was able to take ECV to most tables then they removed and returned to me when we were done. the one I had trouble with was Garden Grill. manger came by to tell me they would work something out for me as ECVs did not fit. had to laugh at him as I told him well one of his guys had just taken mine out and said he would bring it back, manger came back and said I was correct and he would bring it back

"She can walk about one mile/day, if it's all spread out over the course of a day."

An average Walt Disney World guest walks up to 10 times that in a single day.

Speaking as someone who has tried to self-propel in a manual wheelchair at Walt Disney World, I think the advice to let her push herself needs to be qualified With a big red sticker that says "sometimes." There are so many hills, ramps, and cobblestones than I had noticed before! I would have to have been crunching dumbbells for months beforehand if I was going to push my arms that hard all day.

My Daughter broke her leg. The cost to rent (from an outside vendor) a wheel chair was more than than the cost to purchase a chair off amazon. We have been using the light weight transfer chair. She can't wheel it like a bigger chair but it is light weight and I can pick it up easily to put in and out of my van. It has been a lifesaver for everyday stuff as well. Hope your daughter feels better soon

My Daughter broke her leg. The cost to rent (from an outside vendor) a wheel chair was more than than the cost to purchase a chair off amazon. We have been using the light weight transfer chair. She can't wheel it like a bigger chair but it is light weight and I can pick it up easily to put in and out of my van. It has been a lifesaver for everyday stuff as well. Hope your daughter feels better soon

For a temporary issue like a broken leg, that can be OK. However, for a more long term or permanent issue, I am very reluctant to recommend transfer chairs for older children or teens. You lose a lot of independence with a transfer chair. You are completely dependent on someone else to push the chair. If it is for a younger child that might otherwise be in a stroller or holding a parents hand, that's one thing. But if it is a child that is used to being able to walk around some on their own, I always recommend a standard manual wheelchair. I personally do not consider the loss of independent movement for the child worth the convenience of the parent.

Of course if this is not a short term problem you would make different choices. Obviously we wouldn't have a handicap accessible van etc. Also If I can't lift the chair on my own then we can't take it in the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter