Wheelchair on Boat Question

dizcrazee

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if a regular folding wheelchair (not ECV) can be taken on the boat that goes from MK to FW/WL? I've heard that the boat can't accomodate an ECV, but I was wondering if we could bring a regular chair.

Thanks,
Ann

Actually a ECV/powerchair can go on that boat most of the time. The only variable is the water level. A manual chair will not be a problem. Maybe you were thinking of the smaller boats that go to GF and Con. :pug:

Thanks for the information. We are staying at FW and we are trying to figure out what route would be best, rent a wheelchair or ECV, or bring a wheelchair with us from home. :confused:

How funny! I was just wondering about the ECV going on the boat from the WL to MK. I called WDW last night and was told that they can accomodate the wheelchairs and ECVs.

It is a long haul if you have to use crutches.

We were able to ride the boat from MK to WL last summer with a power wheelchair. The only problem we encountered was trying to go from the MK to the Poly...later found out we were given wrong information and we actually could have done it.

In October, we took the boat from MK to FW for HDDR, so the boat was very crowded, people standing everywhere. We found that the manual WC was very hard to maneuver onto the boat (there's a turn) and the fact that they pack people on like sardines for HDDR made it a very uncomfortable ride. One wave, and someone's in your lap. Getting off the boat, we tried to wait until everyone else was off, but the chair had gotten turned in the path somehow so that people were literally climbing over us to get off the boat. (and we were stuck, couldn't move until the crowd thinnned)

I can't imagine that boat with an ECV. My advice is, if you're going over for HDDR, go as early as possible in the hope of a less crowded boat.

Shelley

I also think using a EVC in the boat would be really hard to do. My DD is in a WC and we have stayed at Fort Wilderness a lot . The turn when you get on the boat is tight. I have never seen anyone on with a EVC.

I used my ECV on the boat from MK to HDDR. It was a tight fit and once I got on I couldn't move. But I didn't mind. I rather that than the multiple changes if I took the bus. Water level was a little low so my DH had to lift the front of the ECV to allow me to ride off the boat. Although we were plenty early for HDDR I think I would go earlier and avoid the crowd on the bus.

Maybe you were thinking of the smaller boats that go to GF and Con. :pug:

The smaller boats go to the GF and Polynesian not the CR.

coinkc said:
We were able to ride the boat from MK to WL last summer with a power wheelchair. The only problem we encountered was trying to go from the MK to the Poly...later found out we were given wrong information and we actually could have done it.

The boat from the MK to the Polynesian can't accomodate a power chair unless it is a portable one that can be lifted down the aproximately foot high drop into the boat. The entry is also narrow. We did this once on a recent trip because our daughter missed riding on those boats. My husband removed the battery and folded the chair.

But you can take the very large ferry to the TTC and then just take the short path to the Polynesian. Very easy.

I used my ECV on the POFQ to DTD with no trouble at all..
It was a tight fit, and I am glad I own a smaller ECV :wizard:
Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter