Wheelchair or ECV rental: where and which?

pumpkinboy

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
We are sending my 64 yr old retarded Aunt to WDW with her personal care attendant (PCA) next week, and need some advice. This 64 yr old has Down's sydrome (and is going strong at 64!), tho an "atypical mosaic" type. Mainly we're sending the two of them as a treat to the PCA who would not be able to go on her own salary, plus my Auntie loves Disney.

We are DVC members and were able to get them a studio at OKW, which should work out great for them.

By now, Auntie has had both hips replaced and has some significant mobility issues. However, she also has the mental maturity of a 7 yr old, roughly, so we're not certain she (or those around her) would be safe on an ECV. So we're thinking maybe a wheelchair, and having her very nice PCA push her; but then they may have trouble in places like AKL with rough surfaces and inclines (her attendant is strong but slight), and it might not be fun for the PCA. So what do you all recommend here? Perhaps she should try out an ECV, and if she is having trouble controlling it properly, switch to a wheelchair?

Also, I understand there are Wheelchairs and ECVs you can rent from the resort, but there is no way to reserve one ("first come, first serve" was what MS tells me). Should we chance it with the OKW staff on a Sunday in May, or should we reserve from an off-site company? Can any of you recommend a rental company who would deliver to OKW?

Thx in advance for your help. I am really excited that we can send Auntie and her PCA to WDW. I am hoping my Aunt enjoys herself but we are especially hoping that she's nice to her PCA, who is so good to us and to my Aunt, and has had a rough time this year.

I have reserved an ECV from Walker Medical & Mobility (www.walkermobility.com or 1-888-726-6837). I'm sorry I can't help you decide on what equipment to get, however they may be able to help you. I called a few months ago to reserve the ECV for my dad, whom we will be taking to WDW next month for the first time. This was my first experience with them (dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons about 2.5 years ago). I spoke to "bob" and he was incredibly helpful! I could not get over how nice he was and the suggestions that he offered were things that I would not have thought of. This is what they do for a living, and he couldn't have done it better! He told us different tips on using the ECV in the parks and the WDW transportation systems. I think it's definately worth the call.

Hope this helps!

You might want to take her to Walmart or the grocery store to try an ECV there first before renting one. That way you will know if she will be safe using it.

Renting off-site, while it may be more expensive then borrowing one from the resort, is the way to go. That way the attendant won't have to worry about finding one at the resort or park. And they do run out of the equipment, I hear.

We are renting an ECV for my FIL for our trip in a few weeks from Care Medical. They have been great so far and they deliver the equipment to the resort and it will be there waiting when we arrive.

I hope your sister and her PCA have a great time!

Stacey

What a nice nephew you are!

I'm almost positive that the resorts don't have ecvs available, although they do have wheelchairs most of the time (first come, first serve).
You might want to have her try out an ecv in a store, although you also have to think about the additional "confusion" at WDW - lots of people, unfamiliar, etc.
A lot of whether or not she would be safe one one is going to depend - like is she impulsive and might go too fast, does she have any hearing or vision problems that might affect her ability to drive safely, what about her ability to make decisions quickly and stop safely? The WDW ecvs might actually be better for her because people post all the time about how poky and slow they are. If she does use an ecv, Epcot would be the better place to try since the paths are wider and it's usually less congested. If she can walk for a bit, she could also drive the ecv to get to a place - like to get from country to country at WS and then walk around in the country where it's more congested. AK is kind of tight and busy and I'm not sure how feasible it would be for her to drive an ecv there (at least as her first place to try).

All of these places will deliver to OKW:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

http://www.scootaround.com/ Not much feedback. Several people who reported they had no problems.

Randy's requires that someone be there for delivery and pick up. The rest will deliver to Bell Services and leave it for you. Having it delivered while she is there might be good since they could get a quick run-through of how it works and make sure there are no questions.

Does anyone know what the weight limit is on the ECV's they have at DisneyLand? I emailed guess services with that very short question and I got all kinds of other info but no mention of what the weight limit is. TIA!:D

As the mom of a 22 yo with Down's, bless you pumpkinboy. Your aunt is lucky to have you in her life.

Hey, Thx for the responses all! I knew this was the right place to come for these answers.

I actually did a DVC add-on specifically so I could send Aunt Ingeborg (hey, she is actually a Baroness - my Grandfather was an Estonian Baron before the Russian revolution - Auntie was born before he renounced his title so Mom and Aunt Ingeborg are still Baronesses officially). Her PCA has been so wonderful; and the agency she works for has treated her so miserably - so we're gonna send her and Auntie to WDW outside of the programs.

So I am thinking that we should rent a wheelchair, but try out an ECV at EPCOT first and see how she does. I worry a bit about our PCA's enjoyment of AK if she has to push my Aunt's chair around the whole way.

Thx again for all your input!

Does anyone know what the weight limit is on the ECV's they have at DisneyLand?
I know (not from personal experience though) that they have one type of ECV for up to (I think 250 pounds) and a heavy duty model for over that weight. Hopefully, someone who knows the right weights will post.
You might also try posting on the Disneyland Discussion Board. I'd also suggest sending a reply back to Disney, thanking them for the answer and pointing out that they seem to have missed one of your questions. I've had pretty good luck when I have done that.

And pumpkinboy, I'll be curious how your Baroness and her PCA do. My biggest hint for AK is to keep a map nearby and realize that the park was designed to be confusing (I'm not making that up, it's in a book I have about AK. Well, maybe they didn't exactly plan for it to be confusing, but they did plan for it to be a not-straight-forward park that was meant to be discovered).

Pumpkinboy,
You sound like a great guy and way to go Auntie...may she keep plugging along! Regarding the WC we realized last week that we were going to need a wc for our son. We called Care Medical (I know the info is in this posting) and they had a chair for us the next day. They were wonderful and able to figure out what our needs would be. Good luck.
Cora

I just wanted to add that my dh pushed me around for years before we switched to ECVs. I am not svelte and he was not unhappy even in the summer. He is 38 and in average shape. There were a few things that are bad but avoidable (eg going to the front in Beauty and the Beast in MGM, which requires a long steep uphill push to get out). Overall, there are a lot of places to stop and look around in the AK (and elsewhere), which is what he cared about when pushing. I might suggest trying a wc and seeing how it goes. In my experience, the wcs at resorts are in far better condition than the park wcs (plus they are free) but others' experiences have not been the same. The big plus for me w/ the ECV is independence -- to be able to go by myself -- and I am not sure that will be a plus for your aunt over the wc if her PCA can manage the wc. The park ECVs, while slower as Sue mentioned, can be hard to back into place at rides, etc. I think if your PCA paces herself (which is easy to do, there are so many places to stop or attractions/shows to rest at), the wc is a fine idea. My dh brings a tote and hangs it over the back with water bottles. He is a pro pusher and if there are any questions he can answer, please do ask. What a nice trip for your aunt and her PCA!!!!

:wave: Cupcake

Another thing to think about is renting a lightweight transport chair or wheelchair from one of the medical supply companies.
The park and resort wheelchairs are what we in the medical field call "tanks" ;) . They are pretty heavy and indestructable. Those kinds of wheelchairs themselves often weigh 40-50 pounds, empty.
The lightweight ones you can rent from the medical supply places are on the order of maybe 30 pounds. Transport chairs have 4 smaller wheels instead of 2 small ones in the front and 2 big ones in the back. They are made for people who are not going to be propelling themselves and are a lighter than regular wheelchairs.
I don't know how much your auntie weighs (her weight might dictate that she needs a "tank"), but it's at least another option.

The other thing, like cupcake mentioned, is to just take it slow and have pleanty of rests. WDW is a great place to sit on a bench and enjoy the world going by for a while.

Thx for all your input! The Baroness and her PCA are on the ground in Orlando as I write, and are gonna try out the resort wheelchairs to start with. I programmed Walker and Care Medical into her cellphone so she can trade to a lightweight one if she so desires. Both are ecstatic to be there!

BTW, my Auntie was charmed when her "bionic" knee set off security at the Airport here in Boston :rotfl:

Thanks for the link. AFter looking at the prices. its cheaper to go thru them then to get it each day at the park. And we can use it anywhere in town. AWEsome, THank you For the link!!!!:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter