Wheelchairs at Resort

Hollymom1229

Art's Girl
I'm going to WDW with my mother, MIL and sister in September. My MIL is still in physical therapy from back surgery last year, and is scheduled to have both knees replaced the first week of October. So the heavy walking of WDW is not an option for her. We are hoping to get a wheelchair at our resort, not sure how to go about that any help would be appreciated? Also, if the resort can provide a wheelchair, can we keep it for the whole trip? Lastly, if the resort has no wheelchair, is the process of getting them at the parks fairly easy?

We'll be staying at the Grand Floridian, so most of the time will be monorails to the parks.

Free wheelchair loans are available at the resorts if they are in stock. I have never borrowed one, but from what I understand, there is normally no choice in either size or quality. If you are able to borrow one, you can use it for your entire stay. It is very easy to get them at the parks; I have never heard of them running out of wheelchairs.

However, we often recommend renting an ECV, especially from an off-site company. If you go to the disABILITIES Index the 4th item down is the "disABILTIES FAQ" with lots of information. Your MIL may prefer that as it gives her more freedom than a wheelchair. Also, unless you are used to pushing a wc and you are in good health you can easily get worn out pushing one and you will discover that there are hills at WDW.

::yes:: agreeing with Cheshire Figment.
You should be able to find out quite a bit by looking at the disABILITIES FAQs thread. It does have sort of the "collected knowledge" of DIS posters.

I didnt know that they had wheelchairs there, nice to know that they do...anyway it would be a lot better to have your own wheelchair coz sitting on a wheelchair for a long time could make you feel very uncomfortable, take my word for it....coz it takes some time to get used to a new one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter