When and What's Happening at Hilton Head and the Low Country in April, (and now May) 2020

We have a reservation to check in next Sunday and it has not been cancelled yet. Hope that is helpful!
It is, thank you! We have one arriving on June 14th and we're going back and forth about booking something else as a backup. Crossing my fingers for you!

The pics of the crowded HHI beaches this weekend have us a little freaked! Were they taken in a normally busy public access area? Will beaches be less crowded in front of our hotel? We are traveling weekdays only. M-F.

The pics of the crowded HHI beaches this weekend have us a little freaked! Were they taken in a normally busy public access area? Will beaches be less crowded in front of our hotel? We are traveling weekdays only. M-F.

I cant speak to HHI beaches, but I’ve been in Florida for the last week and have been to the beaches everyday. Saturday Sunday beaches were pretty packed, however I wouldn’t let this freak you out. It’s not like you go to the beach and set up shop right next to someone. The beach to me seems like the best social distancing activity there is. Also there is about a 0% chance it can be transmitted outside in the open air. You need the Vitamin D, GO TO THE BEACH!

Reservation cancelled now for this weekend and next week.
Oh no! We have June 10-13 booked. Moved from WDW trip. I wanted to book July as I figured that would give us better odds. But DH is itching to get away and insisted I book the soonest I could. Booked this last week. Still hoping they open by June 10. We also added June 7-10 at a Shelter Cove rental (Harbourside III). Wish DVC would let us know now so I can extend the condo rental for the entire week. I do need to use the DVC points...like 46 of them as they expire July 31. So this is my last hope to use them. But if they can't be used...no biggie. But we still have to go that week due to the cash rental booked as that is non refundable at this point.

Oh no! We have June 10-13 booked. Moved from WDW trip. I wanted to book July as I figured that would give us better odds. But DH is itching to get away and insisted I book the soonest I could. Booked this last week. Still hoping they open by June 10. We also added June 7-10 at a Shelter Cove rental (Harbourside III). Wish DVC would let us know now so I can extend the condo rental for the entire week. I do need to use the DVC points...like 46 of them as they expire July 31. So this is my last hope to use them. But if they can't be used...no biggie. But we still have to go that week due to the cash rental booked as that is non refundable at this point.
That sounds like a lovely plan! I hope it all works! I’m not holding out a lot of hope that Disney HHI is open by that point; however, I will cross my fingers for you! I’m going to miss crabbing with DS and breakfasts from the French bakery there at shelter cove.

Ours was cancelled as well. We booked a condo in Palmetto Dunes and are going anyways. It won't be the same as Disney, but it's better than staying home moping about not being there!
That sounds great! Any day at the beach is a good day! Looks like you will have some pretty days there.

I apologize if this is common knowledge, it was new to me and I want to share in case it is helpful!

I just finished an online chat through the DVC website and the agent filled out a form and had our points rolled into next year. We have a small contract; the points were supposed to be banked by 4/30. I’m not sure about the rules regarding a special dispensation; however, it might be worth it to try if you are unable to use your points!

I did go ahead and waitlist a few nights in mid-July just for the heck of it - we haven't missed a summer at DHHIR since we started going 10 years ago :sad1:

I’m not at at the Disney DVC location, but have been in Hilton Head since Saturday. Coming from the northeast, this has been a huge change with everything open. It has been a much needed break from being on lockdown. The beaches in pictures look crowded but there is plenty of space to socially distance as much as you want on the beach, restaurants, bike paths, etc.

Today's Update from https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/ :

Walt Disney World Resort Temporary Closures and Important Information
• Pending approval from government officials, the phased reopening plans we submitted calls for Walt Disney World theme parks and Disney Resort hotels to open beginning July 11 for Magic Kingdom Park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom followed by EPCOT and Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 15.
• Additionally, Disney Vacation Club properties at Walt Disney World and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen to Members and Guests on June 22. Disney Vacation Club properties in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will open on June 15. Disney Springs has begun a phased reopening. Upon reopening, theme parks, Disney Resort Hotels, restaurants and other offerings may be modified, limited in capacity and subject to availability or closure. Learn more.
• We have taken enhanced health and safety measures. Follow all posted instructions while visiting Walt Disney World Resort. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. View important details.

Here is the message sent to DVC Members this afternoon regarding the updated resort information:

Dear Disney Vacation Club Member,

A little more than two months ago, I shared with you the details of our company’s plans to temporarily close our parks and resorts, pause cruises and make other changes because of COVID-19. While this time apart has been challenging for all of us, physical-distancing efforts around the globe have helped slow the spread of the virus and have allowed Disney to plan for a gradual reopening.

We began earlier this month with the phased reopening of Shanghai Disneyland and Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort. Today, Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced additional plans including the expected reopening of Disney’s Vero Beach Resort and Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort on June 15 and all Disney Vacation Club properties at the Walt Disney World Resort on June 22.

This is fantastic news and yet another positive step forward – for our Members, guests and our Disney teams.

As we prepare to welcome you home, we have assessed every aspect of the resort experience – from pre-arrival to housekeeping to recreation – with your safety and that of our Cast Members as our top priority. A summary of what you can expect during your next visit is posted on the Disney Parks Blog. Some of the operational adjustments include:

• Enhanced cleaning of all rooms prior to arrival, including additional measures for dishware and appliances for Disney Vacation Club units, along with the standard Disney Vacation Club housekeeping services during your stay

• Increased cleaning and sanitization in high-traffic areas

• New hand-sanitizing stations in key areas

• Physical distancing at restaurants, lobbies, pools, fitness centers and other public areas, including reducing capacity where appropriate

Our Members and guests will also play an important role in helping prevent the spread of illness. Like our Cast, all Members and guests will be asked to wear face coverings in public resort areas when not eating or drinking and to respect physical distancing. Members and guests are also strongly encouraged to check in remotely through the My Disney Experience app, frequently wash their hands and use cashless payment options. More details about these operational adjustments, including offerings that may remain temporarily suspended at individual resorts, are available online at disneyworld.com. While these adjustments may make the places you call “home” feel a little different for the time being, we will continue to make adjustments as the situation evolves.

As you may be aware, it was also announced today that Walt Disney World Resort submitted a proposal to government officials in Florida describing our approach for a phased reopening of Walt Disney World Resort theme parks planned to begin on July 11. Reopening dates for The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa as well as Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina Hawai’i have not been determined, and we will share updates about those resorts just as soon as we’re able. Members wishing to alter their existing resort reservations may do so online at disneyvacationclub.com or contact Member Services for assistance.

Finally, as part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring points. April, June and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. Additional information on these policies is available at disneyvacationclub.com.

All of us at Disney Vacation Club thank you, not only for your patience and understanding but for the many well wishes we’ve received during our closure. The reopening of these resorts is an encouraging step forward, and our Cast couldn’t be happier to welcome you home. To borrow words from a familiar tune, there’s a great big beautiful tomorrow, and tomorrow is just a dream away!

See you real soon,
Signature
Terri A. Schultz
Senior Vice President
Disney Vacation Club, Guided Adventures & Expeditions and Golden Oak

Disney Vacation Club properties in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will open on June 15.

This is very welcome news. We had plans this week to be on the Fantasy celebrating DD’s sweet sixteen. Plan B moved to a stay at HHI, but COVID also took care of that. We opted to stay a few days at the Omni Resort and it’s been sad to see the Disney Beach House parking lot empty this time of the year. They have the Signals “closed for the season” sign up, too.

Like one of the prior posters said - it’s been nice to get out of the NE and experience a bit of “normal”. Not sure what Disney’s plans will be, but some of things going on at the Omni: no housekeeping, pool reservations required and they close it all down every 2 hours for cleaning; only 2 people permitted in spa area at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter