When did you make the transition from "Mommy/Daddy" to "Mom/Dad"?

Our 14 and 11 year old still call us “mommy and daddy” but when speaking to others say “my mom and dad”

I called my mom Mama ( Spanish) until see died in my 20s. I called my dad “daddy” forever. He died a few years ago and I am in my 40s.

Never understood why people think there is an age that you have to stop and why it is creepy sounding.

I called my parents 'Mom' and 'Dad' by elementary school, probably because I heard other kids saying it. But, funnily enough my sister and I say 'Mommy' and 'Daddy' when we talk to each other about them: "Remember when Mommy said..." or "Daddy would have loved this." It's just something we do.

This is a Zombie thread? Whoopsie...

I for one would like to know if the original poster ever made the transition.

My son is turning 10 next weekend. This past summer he made a very visibly conscious decision to call us mom and dad. It was funny to see him catch himself and correct it to the "mature" name. Not sure why he decided he needed to change it. My daughter is 4, and she uses mom sometimes. I blame having an older sibling on her younger usage of the mature names!

DD8 is in the transition now. If she's tired or sick, it's mommy and daddy, but she is about 50/50 now with mommy/daddy vs mom and dad.

I’m from the south. It’s been Mama & Daddy my whole life. Most ppl I know do the same. Best it usually gets in adulthood is “Ma”, but that’s only if you’re directly talking to her. If you’re talking about them it’s still often mama & daddy.

A little off topic but this reminded me of a co worker of mine.
She calls her mother Mommy when she talks about her mother to me, or to anyone else. For example, she might say, "I have to take Mommy to the doctor in tomorrow." UGGHHH, It's just weird sounding. If she wants to call her mother Mommy that's perfectly fine, but referring to her as Mommy when speaking about her to others just turns me off.
But even worse is that she has a live in boyfriend of many years. He is about 15 years older than her, so about 75ish. Anyway, she calls him Daddy....double UGGHHH.
OK, rant over :tongue:

Personally, I think it’s creepy to call your dad Daddy when you are an adult. Don’t come for me, it’s just my opinion. My mom still refers to my dad as Daddy when she’s talking to us lol

When I was little I called my mom "mama" and I've always called my father by his first name "Eddie". It's kind of a wierd thing, but it is just how it has been forever. My mom thinks it came from me hearing other ppl call him by his name and nobody ever corrected it when I did it bc they thought it was funny and cute. I remember calling him "daddy" once and everyone made such a big deal about it that I never did it again. So he's always been "Eddie". At some point, maybe middle/high school I started calling my mom "ma" and that's what I call her now. "Ma" is such a Boston thing I think...just picture us saying it with the accent. I think a lot of ppl I know call their mom that once they are adults. Not sure why I switched, it just sort of happened...mama to ma is an easy switch to just kind of happen. My 2 DS are 7 and 9, they call me "mom" mostly and sometimes my older one calls me "mama". They both still call my husband "daddy".

Last edited:
(yes I know this is a zombie thread).

I probably started calling my parents Mom/Dad around 5th grade, I think. But I never really stopped calling them Mommy and Daddy, I used both interchangeably right up until their deaths (in my late 40s). I will mention that once I had kids old enough to talk, I started calling them Nanny and Papa (what the kids called them) most often. Even now that they have passed, when my brothers and I talk about them we use Nanny/Papa most often.

Personally, I think it’s creepy to call your dad Daddy when you are an adult. Don’t come for me, it’s just my opinion. My mom still refers to my dad as Daddy when she’s talking to us lol

You have a right to your opinion so not coming for you lol! I do wonder why though? Maybe its the gold diggers calling their sugar-daddies "daddy"?? :)

But I guess, really that's just the way it is here in the south. We call our father's "Daddy". My sister sometimes went back and forth between Dad and Daddy, my brothers called him Dad. But they all really grew up in New York and partly in California. I was only 3 when we moved here (much younger than my siblings).

Dd is 19 and dh is still Daddy and something tells me he always will be. Even her boyfriend knows that while she and I are extremely close and best friends (especially now that she is mostly grown) but she will forever be her Daddy's girl. What Daddy says well, that is just the way it is. (even though he really can be wrong sometimes lol)

I've always called my parents Ma and Pa...but I grew up watching Little house on the Prairie so...

DD15 still calls us mommy and daddy at home, but when she is out in public or with friends, shes calls us Mother and Father. And she always says it in her highfalutin tone- "Mother, please pass the gray poupon".

My parents were Mommy and Daddy until they died, and my 50- and 45-year old daughters still call DH and me Daddy and Mommy or Poppi and Mum, even when they refer to us when speaking to others, as in "my Poppi said this..." or "my Mum said that..." I think it's endearing.

Queen Colleen

still call them mommy/daddy to their face and I'm in my 20s. but when I'm talking to others, I refer to them as "my mom" or "my father", etc...

That's what our kids do. They call us mommy & daddy when they're with us and that's what we call ourselves. But, when taking to others it's always my mom or my dad.

My husband still calls his mother mommy and his siblings do too. My sisters and I called my parents "Ma" & Dad. Never Daddy sometimes Mom, but not very often.

I'm 41. My mother, until she died, was still Momma and my father is still Daddy. Of course, where I'm from, those are the standard parental names, no matter the age. DH calls his parents the same. My brothers call our parents the same. It's just normal here. I've told the kids that I don't mind being called Momma, but I DO NOT LIKE being called mom.

EAT: ACK! Didn't notice the zombieness of the thread!

Don't know when I transitioned but I know I did at some point because they used to be mommy and daddy and are now mom and dad (occasionally mamasita for no reason at all)

DS (16) shortened mommy and daddy to mom and dad around 7 or 8. DD (15) normally called me momma over mommy and still does about half the time but also uses mom, mommy and mother depending on her mood. She called DH daddy but dropped that saying it's weird and now uses dad or father when she's trying to be funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter