When did your kid learn the truth about the characters?

Tinkerbell8956

Mouseketeer
my 4 year old daughter has recently started asking questions about the characters and whether they are real, or people in costume. How old were your kids when they learned “the truth” about the characters, and how did you handle it?

I really don't remember, probably around that age. When they start asking that is when we tell them. We don't lie to them so if they are curious and ask then we tell them what's what.

I agree with not lying but at the same time I got to prolong the magic a little longer. When my son started asking questions because he saw Mickey in Epcot and then Mickey in MK he wanted to know how that could be. I turned around and asked him...”Hmmm...what do you think is going on?” And he came up with “I think so many people want to meet Mickey that they have some people dressed up like Mickey and only one is the real Mickey.” Definitely! I agreed. And added “And you never know which one you are meeting.” He was around 4-5 when we had this conversation, and I’m glad I didn’t out and tell him because it bought me a few more trips of magic fun.

I never told my son anything and when were we there when he was 5 waiting in line at a character meet and he says to me "it's just a guy in a costume". And we were waiting for chip & dale I think so it wasn't a face character! He just knew somehow. But he still wanted to meet them and get his picture taken so it didn't "ruin" it.

I'm pretty sure she understood the fur characters were costumes as soon as they touched her, as you can feel their hands through the suit. Tigger as an example...
We love costumes and dress-up in our household so it's not anything strange to her. I'm big on practicing our belief in Pixie Dust!

My older son was 2 when I said "Look...it's Goofy!" He looked at me like I was crazy and said "It's a man." He has always been too smart for his own good.

However, my other son is almost 12, but is autistic. I'm pretty sure he thinks he is actually hugging THE REAL Mickey Mouse. He LOVES him! He also still fully believes in Santa...

When my kids make comments about it I just say “what do you mean? That’s Mickey” or whoever. Of course they know, but why not play along with the fantasy and keep it a little more magical (especially for the really little ones). And as for not lying to your kids...Santa? Easter Bunny?Tooth Fairy?

This always makes me sad thinking about when the magic will be a little bit over, but my older kiddos are 5 and 7 and have never said much about it. But we have had this convo about all the Santas at different places and they tell me all of their theories, so I'm sure its similar. I don't say one way or another, I mostly listen and act like I'm not sure either. They do agree that the talking Mickey at MK is the REAL DEAL! I feel like my daughter must realize with the princesses since the start of princesses coming to birthday parties and all of that.

During her very first WDW trip at age 3. She was never decieved for a moment. I had the exact same experience when I was that age and visited the Magic Kingdom, so I was prepared for it (we are a LOT alike). I gave her the talk about, "We don't spread that info around becase some kids do believe."

My DD knew the fur characters were fake when we went at 4. She’s almost 6 now and still thinks all face characters are real.

My kids were 3 and 6 the first time we went to Disney. We've never had a conversation about the characters. They just always knew they were people in costumes.

Mine were 2 and 4; same thing.

They never thought they were "real" characters.

That doesn't mean they're not cute to see, although we never have waited in line to get autographs (never got into that). We've taken a few (very few) photos with them, if there was no line. They're cute and all, but never have been a big part of why we went to Disney.

My son is 4, and he already knew they were people dressed up in costumes before our trip this past January. We may have tried to tell him something along the lines that the cartoon versions that he saw on television couldn't live in the real world, but it didn't matter. He was still interested in seeing them and meeting them (his autograph book is FULL from all of the signatures he got over 6 days), and he had a lot of fun.

Yesterday DD age 5 (waiting for Mickey, Goofy and Minnie) asked and said she thought they were people in costume. I said possibly but I also said that when I am in Disney I like to believe in magic ;) she said ok let's believe!!

We always told them they were people in costumes, so when they went at 4 years old they knew they weren't real.
I think the standard answer for parents who don't want to reveal the truth is to ask "what do you think" and go from there.
I know some feel that the magic will be lost if kids know the characters are really people, but that isn't true at all. WDW was never not magical for my kids, my dd is 20 and still is excited when we go.

My kids are 10 and 12 neither of them have really talked to me about it. DS (12) did make a comment maybe when he was 9 but I told him we don't talk about it in the parks. Neither of them have said anything about Santa, the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny. Now I don't believe that they still believe in any of them anymore but they play along with it.

Mine were 2 and 4; same thing.

They never thought they were "real" characters.

That doesn't mean they're not cute to see, although we never have waited in line to get autographs (never got into that). We've taken a few (very few) photos with them, if there was no line. They're cute and all, but never have been a big part of why we went to Disney.
You are lucky! My kids are much older now, but they still love to line up for the characters. It drives me a bit insane. Thankfully, this year they'll be old enough to wait in line on their own. :thumbsup2

When my DS was about 6, we went to a local recreation event for children at a nearby high school. The HS students had volunteered their time to run games for the children and some were dressed up as characters. At one point, DS and I were walking through a room at the event and one of the HS boys had his character head off. DS didn't say a word and I wasn't sure what to say. They next time we went to WDW, we were walking around EP WS and walked by one of the character meet and greets. As we walked by, DS whispered to me in a very caring voice, "you know, mom, they aren't real. They are just people dressed up in costumes". It was as if he wanted to break this to me very, very gently, LOL!!! He is 10 now and though he knows the characters are just people in costumes, he still believes in Santa!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!