When did your princess grow out of BBB?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
My DD has suddenly started chatting up a storm about her BBB experience last year. This has me rethinking not doing it for her birthday this year. I know the princess phase will be short. When did your DD lose interest in BBB? Dressing up at the park?

My daughter was 6. Then she loved everything about it. from about 4-6. Now (at 8), she isn't so much into the dress up part, but likes the make up part. We rarely go anywhere near the princesses now, unless it's a unique one.

My daughter will be 7 at the end of this month - she doesn't generally dress up at home anymore unless she has a friend over (as compared to 3/4/5 yo when she was constantly in a state of dressing up) and the last couple trips she has said she wasn't going to wear a dress but as soon as she gets in line to enter the park she all of a sudden wants to dress up. She still talks about BBB and wants to do it - she loves makeup and getting nails done.

We were there last month. My daughter is 9, she aged out of Princesses about 4 years ago, but wore a beautiful sun dress covered in Belle roses, and loved the hair, make up and nails experience.

And there are some little girls who never were into that stuff at all. Dressing up wasn't a thing in the 80s but I would have murdered my parents if they would have tried. But I adored meeting the princesses, just not being one. I like dresses and make-up now sometimes.

We never took our DGD to BBB when she was little, so I don't know about that. But I know about the princess phase. We first took her to WDW at age 5, where she met every princess in every park, and loved it. Got so many precious pictures of that. Then we took her to DLR every year for the next 8 or so years. At age 6, still into the princesses at DLR; and more pictures. The next year, at age 7, we went to DLR. I suggested going to Princess Fantasy Faire. She looked at me as if I were crazy. "Those aren't princesses, those are just adults dressed up in princess costumes".

I tried to look OK with that, as I picked up the pieces of my broken heart :sad:

My DD is almost 7 and she is almost out of the princess stage. She had the castle package in Feb and I’m so glad she did it since she’s little for just a little longer. Now that you mention it, I think I will call tomorrow and try to get her in for our next DL trip. Thank you.

Dd was totally into the princesses when she was younger and enjoyed wearing her various dresses to character meals, but was never interested in BBB at all.

I did notice a waning in interest wearing princess t-shirts to school (but not a home or WDW) around kindergarten/1st grade. I think an older student must have commented that they were babyish. She started wearing them to school again in 3rd grade and still does as an incoming senior in high school. :-)

My older daughter was over the princesses by the time she was 6 or so. She loved (and still loves) the villains. She was never really into BBB. We tried it once when she was 4ish and she was excited to take out her hair and didn't want to wear the dress for very long.

On the other hand my younger daughter is 9 next month and is in love with anything princess. She hasn't done BBB since she was 3 but I think she would still love it. She occasionally dresses up at home still. I can see her still being interested in BBB when we do our next trip to DL when she is 10.

I’m surprising my daughter with the Castle Package at BBB next month. She’s 7 and while she doesnt dress up in her dresses at home much anymore she’s actually been asking for the princess makeover at BBB a lot lately. She wanted to do it in our last trip but we didn’t have reservations and were with friends that had no interest.

I think when they are immersed in the fantasyland atmosphere and surrounded by all the “pretties” in the BBB they are washed over with awe...and caught up in make believe and the whole thing. The age limit is 12, so I’m glad we are getting it in now..I’d regret not doing it

My DD has suddenly started chatting up a storm about her BBB experience last year. This has me rethinking not doing it for her birthday this year. I know the princess phase will be short. When did your DD lose interest in BBB? Dressing up at the park?
When it opened in WDW, DD was already too old to do it, and she was pretty angry about that. She was a different Disney princess every Halloween, and would have loved experiencing BBB no matter what her age. She's almost 21, and she would do it right now. Granted, she's an actress and dresses up for a living, but still, she would love to be done up like Aurora.

Last edited:
My daughter was an avid princess fan. We first took her to DLR at age 4 and she was in heaven. Princess everything. Every year after, pretty much the same.

Fast forward to age 18. She is going off to college near Disneyland (Fullerton) and she is still into it. She has all of the info about applying to DL and hopes to be a princess. She is a Musical Theatre major, btw.

Her younger sisters (now 15) enjoy it, too. If there was a princess meal, they'd still want to go. I am a feminist from way back so it's one of those things I've just had to adjust to.

When DD was3 she loved it. When she was 6 dressing up was ok. When we went when she was 8 she asked if I could use do a Minnie tutu for her. Now at 10. She does not care about BBB but more about Disney accessories. Mini backpack or headbands. She loved her pin collecting.

Thanks everyone! Some of those answers were so young!! It sounds like I might need to do it again if it’s going to pass by quicker than I thought!
I would take advantage of this fleeting period of time in your daughter's life. Unfortunately, some children grow out of that magical phase earlier than others.

DD had a group of friends that tried to ruin Santa for her at a young age. Fortunately, she ignored them and went on believing. I'm grateful for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter