When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today it was announced that large cruise ships aren't allowed in Canada until Oct 31. I assume this will lessons the hope of the borders opening then. :-(
I don‘t think that staying closed to cruise ships, (which were absolute hotbeds of rapid spreading Covid transmission when this all started) means that the border won’t be opening. The cruise ships with their thousands of passengers and crew from all over the world are a huge risk. In my opinion it’s a wise move but won’t mean the borders stay closed that long .

Last edited:
I think they'll make some exceptions soon for families that are separated, but the quarrantine will probably still be in place. After reading about that doctor that didn't self isolate and went on to infect people, I can't see them doing away with that right now.
I think we might have 1 active case in our area right now. We have a lot of border towns around us with anxious americans wanting access to their property they own (cottages). I could see them expanding the list of who is able to come across to include business or resort owners and those that own property, but I can't see it opening up for a free for all to let everyone come and go like before after being so strict.

My thought (for what it's worth) is that the borders will stay closed for as long as the cruise ships are banned. Yes, cruise ships are hot beds and it can spread quickly from one to another but all you have to do is turn to any news station and see the hot mess the US is right now. They don't seem to be taking this seriously for the most part and it can spread just as quickly with a group of weekend partiers crossing for some fun as it can from a group coming off a ship for an excursion. Our area has no cases and has been very careful but we are a historical site and a very popular vacation destination. We are twenty minutes from a border crossing. If the borders open up we will see it show up for sure.

I just don't see the government blocking one end but opening up the other however the government has done some weird stuff so who knows. Guess we wait and see.

I’m worried that they may open soon but the states might devolve into an insurrection before I get to go down.

I'm already expecting to not go to any parks in the U.S. for the rest of the year. As long as Wonderland in Toronto area opens I will be happy. People will just have to take their littles there instead.

Yeah, that was a surprise. :(
Also be aware travel insurance will likely not cover this.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/travel-insurance-in-time-of-war-or-civil-unrest-2973077
“Nearly all travel insurance policies exclude war and civil war, declared or undeclared, from covered events. This exclusion means that if your trip is delayed or you must cancel it entirely because of waror civil unrest, you will not be entitled to reimbursement from your travel insurance provider.”

My thought (for what it's worth) is that the borders will stay closed for as long as the cruise ships are banned. Yes, cruise ships are hot beds and it can spread quickly from one to another but all you have to do is turn to any news station and see the hot mess the US is right now. They don't seem to be taking this seriously for the most part and it can spread just as quickly with a group of weekend partiers crossing for some fun as it can from a group coming off a ship for an excursion. Our area has no cases and has been very careful but we are a historical site and a very popular vacation destination. We are twenty minutes from a border crossing. If the borders open up we will see it show up for sure.

I just don't see the government blocking one end but opening up the other however the government has done some weird stuff so who knows. Guess we wait and see.
I don’t disagree with you in principal and think it should stay closed , but I have a feeling it won’t stay closed that long . I too live in a heavily touristed border area and I think the devastation to that economy will play into decisions to open .
I also know this isn’t the place for politics so I will keep it brief and only say that when I stand back and give my head a shake and take a good look at what’s going on down there I would feel like I wasn’t being true to my ideals to travel there right now. It’s so disheartening and I just can’t be a part of it , even in a small way . Sometimes I forget that and I have to take a good hard look again and I’m painfully reminded. I’ll leave it there .

Also be aware travel insurance will likely not cover this.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/travel-insurance-in-time-of-war-or-civil-unrest-2973077
“Nearly all travel insurance policies exclude war and civil war, declared or undeclared, from covered events. This exclusion means that if your trip is delayed or you must cancel it entirely because of waror civil unrest, you will not be entitled to reimbursement from your travel insurance provider.”

You're seriously worried about the United States devolving into armed chaos ala Syria? Sell Fear much? Maybe you should never leave your house again.

It's called riots, and they happen in more or less every Western democracy at some point or another - or are you terrified to travel to France due to the gilets jaunes or Vancouver due to the Canucks choking?

EDIT - I should probably have left this be due to the "Reminder about Politics and Religion" sticky, but this and the other threads are rapidly devolving into fear-mongering as opposed to providing useful information on the border opening.

The United States Army mobilized in one state, the national guard in two others. Mass protest though out the US, with curfews in many cities. This doesn’t seem normal to me.

1./ Thanks for butchering my quote - if you're going to quote someone at least quote the full sentence. Or at least the intent.
2./ You originally indicated that travel insurance was not going to be valid as the United States was falling into civil war, not that deploying the NG wasn't normal.

Is the NG being deployed unusual? Yes; however mass unrest in the US is much like mass unrest in France - something I would expect/anticipate and take care to avoid.
Is it likely to be an issue when the border finally opens? No.
Is the US going to fall into CIVIL WAR like your ORIGINAL POST indicated thereby nullifying your travel insurance? Highly unlikely.

This whole Canadian forum is based on positivity, open discussions, and understanding.

@von Monster, we do not fear monger here.

*heading back over to my safe threads now*

I’m worried that they may open soon but the states might devolve into an insurrection before I get to go down.

Posting that the USA was falling into civil war isn't fear-mongering?

This might be a dumb question but isn’t Air Canada resuming (or already) flying between Canada and the US? Doesn’t sound like our borders are closed.

From my understanding the US is only restricting access at the land border with Canada with no restrictions on air travel - https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

From the Q&A section:

Q: What will this mean for airline travel and other travel across the border?

A:
This action does not apply to air, rail, or sea travel at this time, but does apply to commuter rail and ferry travel.
Thanks! That explains it.

This might be a dumb question but isn’t Air Canada resuming (or already) flying between Canada and the US? Doesn’t sound like our borders are closed.
I’m sure someone will point out if I’m wrong but I don’t think any Canadian airlines are flying to the US at the moment. I think they are booking for the very end of june at the earliest. There are some US flights by US carriers coming in but the Canadian government is wanting to see a 14 day plan for quarantine upon arrival.
We will wait and see if flights actually do start up again then.

I’m sure someone will point out if I’m wrong but I don’t think any Canadian airlines are flying to the US at the moment. I think they are booking for the very end of june at the earliest. There are some US flights by US carriers coming in but the Canadian government is wanting to see a 14 day plan for quarantine upon arrival.
We will wait and see if flights actually do start up again then.

Not very many, and a lot of codeshares but at least Air Canada is flying there. Here's an Air Canada flight to Kansas City yesterday.

Haven't seen any to MCO this week though, and that's what I'm waiting on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!