When the hoopla fades away a bit...

Thinking of selling my two contracts at OKW, as much as I love the larger rooms we fell in love with BW with BWview. If I sell OKW and buy AKV I get the extra years and would will over to my grandchild. He is 13 this year, lives in florida and would get to use it longer then OKW.

Just curious, but what information is being given to prospective new members interested in AKV at the resort DVC desks (particularly the one at AKL), the park kiosk locations or at the SSR Sales Center? No model, no info sheets, no pictures...?????

I mean, they were supposedly already working on the model at SSR when we were there in October after the announcement had already been made. I've had whole houses built in less time than this AKV model is taking! ;)

I just find it rather strange, but we haven't been members long enough to have been around to experience the process and procedures for other new resorts that have opened.

Sales are only open to members. As far as the floor plans all the rooms look pretty much the same with slight variations. once AKV goes public there will be a ton of points to sell, I really doubt that the layout will be anything but impressive. To date DVC and Disney overall has never disapointed me, so I feel safe adding on an AKV membership NOW!

We decided not to wait for the hoopla to die down and told our guide that we want to buy, and are buying 150 points. We already own at OKW but we have found that ALK was our favorite resort outside of the DVC resorts, and would probably choose it over BCV or BWV if you had to compare it with the dvc resorts.

Like OKW this resort feels like HOME to us. Even though I believe that given the size of the completed resort and the proposed percentage of savannah view rooms we could likely book S.V. rooms at the 7 month window we still felt that this purchase would be good for us. We chose 150 points because this would guarantee us a 1 bedroom SV most times of the year and holidays with a little borrowing. We also would like to be able to do the Sunrise Safari and having access to conceirge ammenities/services for a reasonable points cost is an enticing treat.

As far as no model rooms - I really don't care. I expect Disney will stay with the African safari theme of the Lodge which we absolutely love. I know the Disney quality will be there. Since recent refurbishments have gone to dvd players/flat-screen tvs for entertainment I suspect the new DVC rooms will have these too. I fully expect to be "WOW'd" by the model rooms once they are shown, and by the actual rooms once we start staying there.

For our family I only see plusses. Most rooms larger than any other on-site dvc property other than okw, the ambiance of the AKL theme, the great dining options, possible conceirge for reasonable points. I think the official 1 bedroom sleep 5 / 2 bathroom setup will be a significant part of some families decision to purchase here instead of having to book a 2 bedroom at other resorts. This may be only resort where the 1 bedrooms book up before the 2 bedrooms.

For these reasons I think the "hoopla" may have more staying power than some may think.

...I recently came to a realization that I had previously overlooked! (Duh!)We can buy AKV and STILL stay at OKW pretty much any time we want to. That's the beauty of this system, after all, isn't it? I can keep hubby happy with AKV points (he loves Boma!) and have the extra years and even if I don't like the parking or the floor plans or whatever...once I've tried it, I don't HAVE to stay there! How "empowering" that is! I feel so much better...but I'm still waiting till it quiets down anyway. Gives me more time to save up the $$$$ after all...:cloud9: (And it's great to hear so much feedback from all those who understand things like hoopla and Minnesotans!)

...I recently came to a realization that I had previously overlooked! (Duh!)We can buy AKV and STILL stay at OKW pretty much any time we want to. That's the beauty of this system, after all, isn't it? I can keep hubby happy with AKV points (he loves Boma!) and have the extra years and even if I don't like the parking or the floor plans or whatever...once I've tried it, I don't HAVE to stay there! How "empowering" that is! I feel so much better...but I'm still waiting till it quiets down anyway. Gives me more time to save up the $$$$ after all...:cloud9: (And it's great to hear so much feedback from all those who understand things like hoopla and Minnesotans!)

Great point! Since our favorite resort (so far) is SSR we can always book there at 7 months if AKV turns out to be less than FANTASTIC,which I doubt. Fact is for the times we travel I've never had any trouble booking even at a couple weeks. Last year we booked BWV at 7 months no problem.
Another note on the hoop-la, being from South Jersey, I'm not that fancy it's a "BIG FUSS" :laughing:

:rotfl2: People in Massachusetts would say "when all the commotion dies down!"

Fisher-both my beautiful cats were homeless animals! They are now spoiled and well loved!

My plan was to sit and wait. Now I'm not buying at all. I put that money elsewhere.

I truly believe that when the smoke clears it will be easy to get into AKV. It is by far the worst location on property IMO. No direct ties to theme parks or anything else for that matter. When the main AKV section ends up being a long hike to even get to AKL then you have a completely isolated resort. That will be ideal for some but you'll likely find many still clamoring for BCV/BWV in the end.

Besides the resort is large and 80% of the rooms will have a savanaah view. I'll take my chances.

Fisher-both my beautiful cats were homeless animals! They are now spoiled and well loved!
Makes you feel good when they realize they are staying in their new home and no longer have to worry about anything:wizard: .
Wish I could bring my pound puppy to AKV, She'd love all the new smells.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter