When Will the US Reach 100,000 COVID deaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh please. Give your righteousness a rest for one night.
You think I'm making it up or something? You think there aren't real people struggling to put food on the table for their kids right now?

And I concur with the PP. Your post was clearly meant to antagonize. You shouldn't be surprised that someone felt the need to respond.

I can't care anymore what everybody else is doing. Each area has a unique set of circumstances to figure out for themselves. What matters most is my family and this area seems to be working together well enough. Already started reopening some things with a methodical approach and the majority of people and businesses are swayed toward making the effort to reduce spread as we do that. So far. We'll see what happens.

Will strategic thinking have better success overall where economy and care thrive best? Who knows at this point but I'm sure there will be no consensus there either between the complexities and results. That's what everybody will be disagreeing about 1 to 2 years from now.

Last edited:

I do love irony.
Yes, I guess we can add “predictable”, or as I like to call it, logically consistent, to the list of things that make one deplorable on the DIS. And funny how your opinions are boorish and repetitive while theirs (played on a never-ending loop) are fresh and insightful every single time. :laughing:

Yes, I guess we can add “predictable”, or as I like to call it, logically consistent, to the list of things that make one deplorable on the DIS. And funny how your opinions are boorish and repetitive while theirs (played on a never-ending loop) are fresh and insightful every single time. :laughing:

Careful, dear. You’re projecting again.

Just because this idiot did something reckless and stupid, it doesn't mean that others in good health shouldn't advocate for being able to get out and support their families. It's not a good look to belittle those who are begging for a way to put food on the table in a responsible manner. It's really quite disgusting to belittle it.

Trouble is, most of the ones advocating for such and presenting themselves as champions of the poor working class just trying to feed their families are people that cheered the dismantling of our safety net, don't support an increase in the minimum wage, don't support universal health care, all of which could be helping those struggling to put food on the table as we speak. In fact, when it was time for the bailout they complained that some poor sap making 30k was going to get an extra hundred bucks or two while unemployed. I'm just choked up with tears of joy at all the caring. And now the truth is laid bare. The knight in shining armor act towards the working class is nothing more than a temporary argument of convenience to get what they want.

Last edited:
Trouble is, most of the ones advocating for such and presenting themselves as champions of the poor working class just trying to feed their families are people that cheered the dismantling of our safety net, don't support an increase in the minimum wage, don't support universal health care, all of which could be helping those struggling to put food on the table as we speak. In fact, when it was time for the bailout they complained that some poor sap making 30k was going to get an extra hundred bucks or two while unemployed. I'm just choked up with tears of joy at all the caring. And now the truth is laid bare. The knight in shining armor act towards the working class is nothing more than a temporary argument of convenience to get what they want.

Nailed it.

Got to hand it to these people creating a new meaning for Memorial Day: A day of remembrance of those who made sacrifices to improve the intellectual gene pool in the US.

Meanwhile, over in China, a new cluster case in a NE region has the government requiring lockdowns again.
tenor.gif

Funny how that works, huh? :scratchin

This argument is intentionally disingenuous. In America's capitalistic system, individuals have the freedom to pursue economic prosperity, but this is not guaranteed. No, I don't support unlimited free handouts to encourage a nation of people to become dependent upon their government. I support a system where government allows individuals the freedom to make their living as they see fit; some will succeed; others will not. People that want to engage in work should not be inhibited by their government. The minimum wage argument is a fallacy. This was never meant to be a long-term living wage. No one starts out at minimum wage and 10 years later is still making the same salary and if so, it is by their own design. Again, prosperity is not and has never been guaranteed. But in this country, every legal citizen is afforded the *opportunity* to prosper. And for over 225 years that has been an opportunity unmatched in any other country on the globe.

This argument is intentionally disingenuous. In America's capitalistic system, individuals have the freedom to pursue economic prosperity, but this is not guaranteed. No, I don't support unlimited free handouts to encourage a nation of people to become dependent upon their government. I support a system where government allows individuals the freedom to make their living as they see fit; some will succeed; others will not. People that want to engage in work should not be inhibited by their government. The minimum wage argument is a fallacy. This was never meant to be a long-term living wage. No one starts out at minimum wage and 10 years later is still making the same salary and if so, it is by their own design. Again, prosperity is not and has never been guaranteed. But in this country, every legal citizen is afforded the *opportunity* to prosper. And for over 225 years that has been an opportunity unmatched in any other country on the globe.

"it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."

"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.

"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"

"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."

"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?" said Scrooge.

"Both very busy, sir."

"Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course," said Scrooge. "I'm very glad to hear it."

- Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol.

M.

From a relevant article that I probably can’t link:

I don’t know how to explain to someone why they should care about other people.

Personally, I’m happy to pay an extra 4.3 percent for my fast food burger if it means the person making it for me can afford to feed their own family. If you aren’t willing to fork over an extra 17 cents for a Big Mac, you’re a fundamentally different person than I am.

I’m perfectly content to pay taxes that go toward public schools, even though I’m childless and intend to stay that way, because all children deserve a quality, free education. If this seems unfair or unreasonable to you, we are never going to see eye to eye.

If I have to pay a little more with each paycheck to ensure my fellow Americans can access health care? SIGN ME UP. Poverty should not be a death sentence in the richest country in the world. If you’re okay with thousands of people dying of treatable diseases just so the wealthiest among us can hoard still more wealth, there is a divide between our worldviews that can never be bridged.

I don’t know how to convince someone how to experience the basic human emotion of empathy. I cannot have one more conversation with someone who is content to see millions of people suffer needlessly in exchange for a tax cut that statistically they’ll never see.

There are all kinds of practical, self-serving reasons to raise the minimum wage (fairly compensated workers typically do better work), fund public schools (everyone’s safer when the general public can read and use critical thinking), and make sure every American can access health care (outbreaks of preventable diseases being generally undesirable).

But if making sure your fellow citizens can afford to eat, get an education, and go to the doctor isn’t enough of a reason to fund those things, I have nothing left to say to you.

I can’t debate someone into caring about what happens to their fellow human beings. The fact that such detached cruelty is so normalized is at once infuriating and terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter