When you first bought DVC...

We were 27 (pregnant with our first child) - young, dumb and stupid with money as I like to call ourselves then. We financed and bought sight unseen on a late summer cruise on DCL in 2004.

However, that being said I have no regrets now as we now have a stable budget where the dues are part of our monthly expenses and no debt except our home. So, all the family trips and vacations that we have taken in the last few years have been 100% worth it. In fact, we bought, with cash, our first and probably only resale contract last year; at the same resort and UY for almost the same price as we did 13 years prior. Now, we have 250 total points, which is the perfect amount for us.

Bought in 2006, we were early 30's with 5 year old and a 1 year old. They've since had dozens of Disney vacations and love it just as much as us. Now they are 16, and 12 (and we now have an added 3 year old in the mix) and while they now love the more "grown-up" things in Disney (Countries/etc) we find it's really fun to show the 3yo all of the things they loved when they were young. (

This sounds like us - My 13 and 11 year old love to show their 4 year old brother around Disney like pros.

We were 35 and 36 in 2015 with 2 young kids. Bought VGF brand new. Then an add on at VGF. Then AKL. Then an add on at AKL.

I was 31 when I bought my first membership in 1998 with my sister, who was 36. We were two single females, no kids. Fast forward a few years, I bought a separate membership with DH, when we were both 38, but still no kids.

Our trips have changed over the years (DS is almost 6), but that’s the beauty of DVC! We’ve had trips in studios up to grand villas, and everything in between. And we’ve stayed at most of the DVC properties, except for the latest few.

I just bought last year, we were 47 and 48 with a 9 year old son. Purchased resale AKV cash. Took our first trip in March, going again in June and loving it! Planning big trip in 2020 taking 15 people! I only have 180 points and would love more!

We are in our early 60s and bought DVC 13 years ago at SSR. We have 2 children now adults along with 2 grandkids. We only go every 3 years but bought enough points back then for a 2 bedroom, 230! We now need a 1 and 2 bedroom, and have to borrow points from following year, and our dues are one of the lowest out of all the DVC Resorts. BUT it is virtually impossible to get into another resort when my 7 month date comes up! This year we were able to move to OKW for our December trip! So make sure you buy where you don't mind staying all the time!!!

DH and I bought earlier this year - early 30s, no kids (yet). Paid cash for a resale and direct (before the 2/18 change) for a total of 188 points at SSR (DH is already talking about adding another 25...)

We knew we wanted to continue going to Disney and we wanted to be able to take our (hopefully someday) kids. And with room rates continuously rising we thought why not consider DVC? We're good at saving (when we put our minds to it) and saved up the funds in 6 months (obviously much easier to do when you both work and have no kids/daycare costs). Figured we should do it now before all our discretionary income goes to that...

We bought in 1996. 310 points at OKW. DH was 27, and I was 24. We had no kids then and have none now. We’ve gone to Disney together multiple times every year since. It was the one of the smartest financial decisions we’ve ever made.

We just bought last week (yay!). I'm 31, DH 30, DS 6, and DD 2. We've noticed after our first trip in 2016 we keep coming back. In 2017 we went to Cape Canaveral and found ourselves spending time at Disney at the beginning and end of our trip since we were so close. After last year's Christmas party we decided to make it a Christmas tradition to come down just before Christmas every year and attend a party and have some rest days before the holidays. Right now DH is finishing up his bachelor's (will be done next May) so we bought a small contract direct for 75 points at CCV since we always find ourselves at the resort walking around and enjoying the atmosphere. We figure for now that will be good for our Christmas trips. Once DH finishes his degree we plan on buying some more points resale so we can do a bigger trip every couple of years.

2003 when we were 50 and our daughter in college-we were visiting every other year and when we finally toured it made sense to buy in. We started with points at BC and while staying at Hilton Head purchased points at AK. They were offering a 500.00 gift card and 100 one time use points at SSR.

We live on the east coast so HH and VB are nice options for us-especially now that I’m retired from a school schedule!

My husband and I travel alone and take a family trip every other year with our daughter and her family-traveling with a grandchild is the best!

Mom and Dad purchased DVC property 21 years ago when I was an infant and my older sister was 2. There home resort is OKW and we enjoyed many vacations together. When I was 16 my Dad passed away but my Mom still enjoys the DVC property using it for vacations with me or my sister or even with her friends. She told me and my sister our dad would want us to still enjoy what we love and he is still apart of it when we go.

DH and I bought earlier this year - early 30s, no kids (yet). Paid cash for a resale and direct (before the 2/18 change) for a total of 188 points at SSR (DH is already talking about adding another 25...)

We knew we wanted to continue going to Disney and we wanted to be able to take our (hopefully someday) kids. And with room rates continuously rising we thought why not consider DVC? We're good at saving (when we put our minds to it) and saved up the funds in 6 months (obviously much easier to do when you both work and have no kids/daycare costs). Figured we should do it now before all our discretionary income goes to that...

This is kind of where I'm leaning. Buying resale and then adding points later. New contracts are just very pricey!

This is kind of where I'm leaning. Buying resale and then adding points later. New contracts are just very pricey!

Another option would be to buy the 75 points direct (in order to get the membership perks - if that is important to you) and then adding on later via resale.

We bought in 2010 and DH and I were in our mid 30's and our DDs were 10 and 8. We go to WDW at least twice a year (even before we bought) and we throw in a trip to DLR every other year. Buying DVC just made sense for us.

After our 1st WdW family trip (2006 )we purchased. My DD was 4. She grew up at Wdw. Learned to swim...keep the magic of childhood alive:-)
That trip was my moms 1st plane ride since her honeymoon. Since that 1st Wdw trio we have been back countless times that opened our appetites for world travel. We are now seeing the actual world as well :-)
DD just turned 16..... we are bringing 3 friends to Wdw instead of a party.
I am very happy with our Dvc purchase!
To think one day to bring grandchildren is just to much joy to think of:cloud9:
Kerri
When our son graduated from HS, he got to bring eight friends with him to WDW and we all stayed in an OKW GV on our points. We drove two cars with a UHaul trailer full of luggage, stopped one night on the way down (rented three hotel rooms). The kids all had their own tickets and spending money. We paid for the hotel rooms going down and coming back (plus the trailer and gas). We took them all to Chef Mickey's for one breakfast and made them wear the Mickey Graduation Ears that I bought for each of them. It was quite memorable.

Late 30s, 13 years ago. No children, still none unfortunately. ;) Waited ten plus years to buy, in order to pay outright. Everyone has different circumstances, but for me that was the best choice. Only stating that because life can throw you curveballs, and that choice became paramount.

I am beyond thankful to have memories with family and friends. But especially with my parents, so many memories. It's comforting to look back on those times, now that they're both gone.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!