Where do I start getting info and planning??

MaryAnnDVC

"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless
Just started kicking around the idea of a cruise and I'm already overwhelmed. :( I'm thinking if things work out the way I've got it running through my boggled brain, we'd go on the Disney Wonder 3 night cruise on August 14. This is all very up in the air...just researching at this point, but I assume I should hurry up if we'd be going this August.

I've got the video, which the kids and I will watch later today.

There are 5 of us, so we will need a category 4 room (?). What are the sleeping arrangements like for 5 people? What's different about the different decks? Are any more preferable than others?

Food is included, except for alcohol? I saw a picture of a place to get ice cream...extra cost? Is this 3 meals/day, or two??

What ARE the extra costs? Saw here on the DIS about some excursions, but what about ON the ship.

Will we feel cheated doing a 3 day cruise? We've never cruised, and I'm cautious about going, but DH and the kids want to...3 days doesn't seem very long, but may be good for me for a first cruise.

Are there discounts out there? BIG ones? I'm thinking of tagging this on to the end of a week at Portofino (Universal) and BWV.

Is it very structured as far as dining and shows?? Do you get a choice of seating (read somewhere about 2 seatings/night for dinner??) Do you book shows in advance or just show up??

Is it HOT, rainy, hurricane-y in August??

Please feel free to answer questions I haven't asked too. :)

Well you have started in a good place for lots of information on disney cruises. Another place I found is cruisecritic.com. If you do a search you will find lots of cruise internet sites just full of info.
Disney does not offer too many BIG discounts,but you will probably do better going through a cruise only agency to book than through your local travel agent.
You will probably wish for more thaan 3 days once they are over, you will just be getting your 'sealegs' and it will be time to pack to go home. But it is a good trial run.
All meals, snacks, snacks and just plain snacks are included in the price. You will pay for soda, drinks in the bars, bottle water and if you eat in the optional resturant. Also spa treatments are not included. You can purchase a soda mug for $$ but we usually bring our own soda and bottle water on board with us.
You will pay for excursions if you take them
Also you will be expected to tip your waiter, assistant waiter and room steward. The suggested amounts are listed in the cruise brochure.
There is a early seating and late seating for dinner, usually around 6pm and 830pm shows are worked around the two seatings. Everyone has there own preferences for which dinner seating they want. Shows you just show up for and enjoy.
Keep checking the boards and you will just get all the info you can handle, don't try to overplan the whole thing you will drive yourself crazy!

With 5, you may want to consider 2 rooms. Even though DCL offers the split bathroom (shower/sink & toilet/sink) logistically getting 5 people showered & ready for dinner was a little hectic.
Cat 4 room is 1 bed, couch that converts to a bed, pull down (pullman style) bunk over the couch and a murphy bed that opens from the wall to sleep at total of 5 people. When opened, the murphy bed blocks access to the verandah. There is a privacy divider (curtain) between the bed and the rest of the room.

The category 4 room that sleeps five was fine for our family of 5 for the 3 day last June, but we would definitely book two lower category rooms, preferably adjoining when we do the 7 day with all of us. As stated before, the Murphy bed blocks the verandah, and since my teens stayed out MUCH later than their parents!, they wanted to sleep in, so it was difficult to enjoy coffee on the verandah when you had to climb back anfd forth over it! For a 7 day cruise, I KNOW I would want to spend time out there, so I would plan on booking a category 5 and either an adjoining category 5, or an inside cabin across the hall. Of course, it depends upon the age of your children. My three will be teens or above the next time we cruise, so this would be a great arrangement for us. You will have a GREAT time!!!

I'd just throw my two cents in with regards to the length of the cruise. We did the 3 day this past October. It was our first cruise ever and if I could do one thing over again it would be to do a longer cruise. 3 days just isn't enough. It did feel like we were just beginning to figure out the boat and the way things work and suddenly it was time to go home. 3 days really isn't three days...it's just three nights. Thursday you'll have half a day on the boat, Friday and Saturday are whole days but then you need to disembark by 9:00 am Sunday. I'd recommend looking at the 4 day or even 7 day cruise.

JUST MY 2 CENTS 3 DAY IS TOO SHORT AND HAVING JUST COME BACK FROM A 4 DAY, THIS IS MUCH BETTER, BUT MY ALL TIME FAVORITE IS THE 7 DAY. TOOK OUR FIRST LAST JUNE AND WENT FOR THE 7 DAY AND CAN HARDLY WAIT TO GO BACK NEXT YEAR!:bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter