Where to stay with partially disabled at OKW

StaceyRN

Earning My Ears
I am going to be staying in a 1bedroom at OKW with my mother who has a bad knee. I was wondering if anyone knows where is a good place to request that we stay that is close to the main section and a bus stop. Thanks for your help.

Building 62, 63, or 64. They are near the Hospitality House (HH), a bus stop, the main pool, the boat dock. They also have elevators in these buildings.

Actually...I would request a first floor for medical reasons and a bldg near a bus stop....I would not worry too much about being close to the HH....since all of the bldgs except about 3 would probably be farther than she wanted to walk....for anyone mobility impaired a car parked right by your door at OKW is great....you can just drive to the HH.

My 84 y/o mother goes to OKW every winter for 2 weeks with my aunt and several of their friends...none of them are exactly spry....(they don't do the parks anymore) but they will drive up to the HH and have lunch at Olivias or sit out in the evening and people watch or ride the boat to DTD....they have a great time, and being able to park right by their door is a Godsend....they could never make it from some of the villas to the valet stand at most of the DVC resorts!!

Does she want peace and quiet or does she want to walk to the big pool etc?

During my most recent stay i was able to choose from a number of buildings at check in - it was lovely! I think i finally settled on 62 and that was GREAT!!!!!

Hmmm....this post got me thinking.

I will be staying at OKW in a 2 bedroom...I will be renting my mother a ECV since she can not walk a long distance because of a problem with her toe that requires yet another surgery.

I my neighbor was telling that not all the buildings in OKW have elevators. Now I didn't think this was going to be a problem until I realized I have to charge this ECV at night.

I don't want to end up with a handicapped room. DM can walk to the room fine....she just won't be able to walk the parks for a long time without being in pain. Any suggestions on rooms or buildings.

Thanks

DisneyAunt said:
Hmmm....this post got me thinking.

I will be staying at OKW in a 2 bedroom...I will be renting my mother a ECV since she can not walk a long distance because of a problem with her toe that requires yet another surgery.

I my neighbor was telling that not all the buildings in OKW have elevators. Now I didn't think this was going to be a problem until I realized I have to charge this ECV at night.

I don't want to end up with a handicapped room. DM can walk to the room fine....she just won't be able to walk the parks for a long time without being in pain. Any suggestions on rooms or buildings.

Thanks
In this case your best bet is likely to change your reservation to a HC room. Otherwise there's no guarantee you'd have access to get the scooter to the unit as only 3 buildings have an elevator. Thus only about a third of the units would be accessible by a scooter or one who could not maneuver the stairs. This is a direct reservation and not a request so it would be guaranteed if you had the reservation. Second choice would be to ask for the buildings listed above plus any first floor for medical reasons and that request is usually granted but still might be a HC room. IMO, it's OK to ask for a first floor (or 62-64) and not a HC room, but it's your choice and your chances. And if you get third floor or other unit not accessible to the ecv in this situation, there would be nothing for you to complain about. I'd guess the odds of you getting first floor (or 62-64) non HC in this situation are only about 50/50, but it's just a guess.

I'm guessing there would b a place to leave the scooter outside and charge it but I don't know if you'd be able to secure it or not. A big chance with such an expensive piece of equipment. I hope it works out.

We use a wheelchair and just request wheelchair accessible but HC designated not required and have never had a problem. Some CMs say it is just easier to book the HC room, some say that not requiring one gives us more choices.

Thanks for the info. I am going to call members services tomorrow and see what they recommend.

Someone told me that I could leave it to charge in OKW check-in area to charge...not sure about that but I will find out soon enough.

DisneyAunt said:
Thanks for the info. I am going to call members services tomorrow and see what they recommend.

Someone told me that I could leave it to charge in OKW check-in area to charge...not sure about that but I will find out soon enough.
You can request first floor or one of the buildings with an elevator for medical reasons. Since all buildings have first floor rooms, you are almost guaranteed to get one of the first floor rooms. They do fill medical requests before general requests (and most people at OKW who request a floor are requesting a higher floor, not first).

There are not that many fully handicapped accessible rooms at OKW, so requesting one of those gives a lot fewer options. As long as you have a first floor room, you won't have a problem with manouvering the ECV around the room.

You can store and charge an ECV at Papa's Den in the check in area. There are usually a number of them there. Remove the key if you leave it there and no one can drive it away.

SueM in MN said:
You can request first floor or one of the buildings with an elevator for medical reasons. Since all buildings have first floor rooms, you are almost guaranteed to get one of the first floor rooms. They do fill medical requests before general requests (and most people at OKW who request a floor are requesting a higher floor, not first).

There are not that many fully handicapped accessible rooms at OKW, so requesting one of those gives a lot fewer options. As long as you have a first floor room, you won't have a problem with manouvering the ECV around the room.

You can store and charge an ECV at Papa's Den in the check in area. There are usually a number of them there. Remove the key if you leave it there and no one can drive it away.
Sue, the difference is that the HC rooms are booked directly and therefore, guaranteed. The problem is that many request first floor but not HC. And while I don't have any problems with the request, I do with the expectation it be filled, or more specifically, being upset if it's not.

make sure that you say medical reasons first!!!

otherwise it is a request.

OKW understands the different between a request and a real medical need.

when I travel with my mother (83 and hates steps) or my brother - plastic hip - I request first floor and have always gotten them because they are medical requests.

I personally hate the first floor - the reviews aren't as great as the higher floors.

we use to get 2nd floor before mother knee went bad. but around 7 years ago that changed and walking period is a problem. I get her a wheelchair there.

spiceycat said:
make sure that you say medical reasons first!!!

otherwise it is a request.

OKW understands the different between a request and a real medical need.

when I travel with my mother (83 and hates steps) or my brother - plastic hip - I request first floor and have always gotten them because they are medical requests.

I personally hate the first floor - the reviews aren't as great as the higher floors.

we use to get 2nd floor before mother knee went bad. but around 7 years ago that changed and walking period is a problem. I get her a wheelchair there.
Pat in this case, it's still a request, just reportedly a higher priority one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter