Where will your first post-Covid vacation be?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
The plan here originally was: 10 days in New Hampshire this summer, and then originally, we were going to do a Disney vacation next year, since DH promised DD he would go back with her for a trip (long story). But, with the dollar being bad, and Disney prices continuing to soar, by the time I priced it out, a week in a value resort with a discount, with only 3 day tickets, meals, travel etc... was going to be $6000 (!!!), and I just really didn't want to spend that much money on Disney. So then we said, well maybe we'll do a "Southern" vacation, go to Hilton Head Island for a 4-5 nights and then spend 2-3 nights at Disney and use our one day comp tickets, which would be about half the cost.

And now here we sit, with our summer vacation cancelled, in our third week of not leaving our tiny house except for a daily walk to get some fresh air/exercise, getting emails from stupid Frontier of $22 round trip flights anywhere in the US, and I find myself dreaming of travelling... I figure I might as well direct this building energy into planning a kick-butt 2021 summer vacation, LOL. And I have no idea where I want to go! One thing this has shown us - the future is very uncertain, we just never know, and... why put things that you really want to do off for "someday" when someday may not come, or could be ripped away?

So a part of me wants to say heck with it and plan the Disney trip and be darned the cost. Another part of me is thinking of all those other places we've wanted to go and have just said "maybe someday" to like a week in Hawaii, a summer driving across Canada etc... I do know I really want to give the children the experiences on their bucket list which include: swimming with dolphins (DD) and visiting an amazing aviary where you can hold/feed birds (DS).

Assuming the situation has stabilized, I think next summer will be a good year to travel because the industry will be reeling from the wash out year this is going to be, and there'll likely be significant travel discounts/incentives. So it seems like a prime time to take that dream vacation.

So... where will you go post-Covid?

It's hard to say because everything is so up in the air right now so I'm not sure when post-covid will be! We have flights booked for a trip to the UK in October. We were really excited about that because it will be our kids' first time going to Europe, but I'm not sure if that will happen. If we have to cancel that, we might possibly book something in North America (assuming that travel is okay at the time). I was hoping to go to WDW early next year and then to Croatia in July 2021 for my 40th birthday, and then we're having a family trip in Hawaii in fall 2021 to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary. But all of that is up in the air now. My DH works at a plant that has to do shutdown every 5 years and then he's blocked out for vacation for a few months at that time. It was scheduledfor spring 2021 (so we were trying to work around that) but there's a possibility it might get pushed to summer 2021 which would mean he can't go anywhere for my 40th birthday! :sad: Or if it gets pushed back to fall then I would have to ask my family to reschedule Hawaii (nothing is booked at this point). Right now I've decided I'm not putting anymore money into vacations until I feel a little more certainty about the situation. I haven't booked anything else for our UK trip because I don't want to have to cancel more things!

I was originally interested in going to New Zealand on a cruise with a land tour to wine country added on. May have to rethink that. Can’t say as I find Disney even slightly appealing — too many crowds. Maybe I’ll stay in Canada.

I'd like to do a cruise, but if that doesn't work out it will probably be an all inclusive, somewhere warm and sunny in the middle of a Canadian winter... that's the goal! I do want to return to Disney but we have been doing trips every two years and while that is 2021, I am thinking we may wait until 2022, unless there are some good deals. And we want to go to Universal & SeaWorld at the same time as Disney. I do find half the fun is planning the trips.

I have over 300 points tied up in a BCV 2bd in Aug - 250ish are borrowed from 2021 😐. So WDW, before July 31 2021 when all the points expire (if I have to move our Aug trip which is looking likely). Maybe next March if our APs get extended that far..?

I’ve mentally written off the $ paid to Spirit for our March flights, for which we got a voucher that we moved to Aug flights. I figure by working at home we are saving a tonne on gas and vehicle wear & tear so it’s a wash.

I'd like to do a cruise, but if that doesn't work out it will probably be an all inclusive, somewhere warm and sunny in the middle of a Canadian winter... that's the goal! I do want to return to Disney but we have been doing trips every two years and while that is 2021, I am thinking we may wait until 2022, unless there are some good deals. And we want to go to Universal & SeaWorld at the same time as Disney. I do find half the fun is planning the trips.

Ugh. I wish we could travel during winter. But DH teaches at local college, so we're stuck with summer only.

If we go to Florida, I'm really torn between doing an on site Disney only trip, or an off site Florida trip. I think the kids would love Discovery Cove since it checks off both their bucket list (swim with dolphins and aviary), and I know they would love Sea World. I think Wild Florida would be great to do, too. We have one day comp tickets to Disney we could use (though I imagine we would at least add another 1 day PH).

We had been talking about going back to Maine and Acadia National Park, as it's been a few years for us and that's one of our favorite places to visit. (also non flying, since we're in CT) I suspect we'll most likely be doing that in September.

Still hoping to make it out to Disneyland in October, a few friends were talking about that before all this craziness. That may be my only Disney trip this year since my April trip to WDW was cancelled.

We had been talking about going back to Maine and Acadia National Park, as it's been a few years for us and that's one of our favorite places to visit. (also non flying, since we're in CT) I suspect we'll most likely be doing that in September.

Still hoping to make it out to Disneyland in October, a few friends were talking about that before all this craziness. That may be my only Disney trip this year since my April trip to WDW was cancelled.

Ooh care to share what you do in Acadia, where you stay, best (easier, family friendly) hiking etc? We've talked about doing this as well. We've been to Bar Harbor (it's only 2.5 hours from us) but never explored the park.

I saw Bill Gates on Trevor Noah last night and have almost zero hope it will be safe to travel to the US next January so our hoped for Disney trip will likely be off (although we will wait and see for awhile).

Given the mess the economy will likely be in, if it's ok to travel in summer 2021, I think we will stay in Canada and spend our dollars here to help the tourist industry. Maybe we will go out to Alberta to see dinosaur stuff or up north to see our friend in Whitehorse. Or out east and rent a cottage. there's so much to see in Canada!

This summer we hope to be able to see our parents who live several hours away.

I dream about future vacations basically daily! Pre-COVID-19, we were thinking about a disney trip next May, right before the kiddo turns 3 (and gets much more pricey at disney!).

Now...who knows! I have no desire to cruise, which is something else we have tossed around.

I usually daydream about international trips. Japan, New Zealand, parts of Europe...nowhere that we should be responsibly traveling right now!!

Realistically, our next trip will be in Canada. Somewhere we can drive, and somewhere with a moderate price tag.

I try not to get too attached to any specific ideas, since we hardly know what tomorrow is going to bring these days.

I saw Bill Gates on Trevor Noah last night and have almost zero hope it will be safe to travel to the US next January so our hoped for Disney trip will likely be off (although we will wait and see for awhile).

Given the mess the economy will likely be in, if it's ok to travel in summer 2021, I think we will stay in Canada and spend our dollars here to help the tourist industry. Maybe we will go out to Alberta to see dinosaur stuff or up north to see our friend in Whitehorse. Or out east and rent a cottage. there's so much to see in Canada!

This summer we hope to be able to see our parents who live several hours away.

I can recommend a great cottage in PEI with private beach access!

2 weeks ago our plan would have been to continue with our Disneyland trip this October and rebook our cancelled cruise for next Spring. At this point I'm starting to think it will be 18 months before we feel comfortable travelling out of country. So we might have to find something to do in Canada for a couple of years. We've been talking about a road trip to BC for a long time and never do it because Disney always wins out. 2021 might be the year.

Depends on what happens.

Our next booked trip is end of August. Disney parks + short Royal cruise. Flight is already booked. Highly doubt we will be making that one. Will still continue with booking FastPasses, etc until we are sure we are not going to make it.

We have a rescheduled Royal cruise for end of December. So hoping that one will go ahead, but will have to see. Holding off of the flight.

My first vacation is going to be a road trip to Cedar Point and a stay at Breakers. Need my roller coaster fix. Really miss going 120 mph in 4 seconds.

Canada will be our next vacations. If stay-at-home and stay-in-your-region/province are lifted this summer, we will probably just visit my parents in Qc city and good friends in Toronto. Even for summer 2021 I am planning on staying in Canada since our country economy will need our dollars to be spent here. So instead of California and Disneyland we are thinking of visiting Alberta. Our return to Disney will probably be in 2022 (either first week of March or early summer) because I have a kid ticket to use before my youngest turns 10 yo on July 22nd, 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter