Where would you stay in December? update

lundve

DIS Veteran
See update post #15

We are getting off the cruise ship on 12/20 and I am thinking of staying three nights after that at a DVC resort just to stay around during the holidays since our house will be devoid of Christmas this year, the kids are out of school already, and the hubby has the vacation time to use. I've decided not to decorate since we are going to be gone so long this year prior to Christmas and our cruise is everybody's gift. We would not be doing any park days and the availability at this point is spotty.

We could do AKV Jambo, OKW or SSR - where would you choose to just resort enjoy with boys ages 9, 7, and 1? It would be a 1 bedroom.

We could do AKV Jambo, OKW or SSR - where would you choose to just resort enjoy with boys ages 9, 7, and 1? It would be a 1 bedroom.

Jambo would be more decorated compared to OKW and SSR. DVC with deluxe resorts spend more money on decorations than DVC-only resorts. We went to see AKV last Christmas on our check out day. It was beautiful. It's an African themed Christmas tree.

We stayed at AKV Jambo last December. The Christmas tree in the lobby was fabulous and it was just a wonderful all-round experience.

Nothing wrong with SSR in Dec either, we really like it there too but it's not as decorated if that's what you are looking for. Given the choice I'd say go for AKV Jambo (not Kidani).

We are staying at BCV in Dec. :goodvibes

We are getting off the cruise ship on 12/20 and I am thinking of staying three nights after that at a DVC resort just to stay around during the holidays since our house will be devoid of Christmas this year, the kids are out of school already, and the hubby has the vacation time to use. I've decided not to decorate since we are going to be gone so long this year prior to Christmas and our cruise is everybody's gift. We would not be doing any park days and the availability at this point is spotty.

The best decorated resorts are GF, WL, Jambo, BC and BWI. Based on your list, looks like Jambo is the one.

:earsboy: Bill

AKV would also be my choice, but I would advise that you immediately put an end to deciding and make a reservation becuase any of those you are finding open now could disappear quickly for that time of year even if 1BR.

I think jambo is also a good fit because you're not doing parks. That way you have access to jambo and kidani pools as well as the activities offered at the resorts. Also full of great dining choices.

Another vote for Jambo. AKL is like a mini-theme park. There are numerous activities for the kids during the day. The pool areas are great, if it's warm enough. The animal viewing will keep your kids occupied for hours. You have the Mara right there for quick service, in addition to Boma, Jiko and Sanaa (at Kidani). Jambo is the first bus stop for getting to DTD. Also, Jambo has the Simba's Kid's Club that you could use for the older boys if you and your spouse want to have a dinner at Jiko or Sanaa to yourselves (with the infant; Simba's is for 3-12 yo).

Choice #2 would definitely be OKW. Like Jambo, there is a sleeper chair in addition to the couch, and that seems to be a better fit for your group.

SSR and a Jambo Value rooms do not have the sleeper chair.

Well, we have been there 2 times in late Dec (20th to 25th or 26th)...2011 and 2013. In 2011 we stayed at OKW. Love the large space of the villas there and the busing was fantastic (we were in HH section). But it was lacking in Xmas feel. In 2013 we stayed at AKV-Kidani and WOW, was it a spectacular resort with tons to do just at the resort. I found the busing to be fantastic there too, though MIL would beg to differ (not sure what buses she got on that I didn't and where her issues were :confused3 but she loves OKW and it is more centrally located). Food places at AKL/V are the best and way better than OKW...but you can take a boat to DtD at OKW (about 20 minutes and can be chilly and stops early in the evening).

SIL stayed at SSR in 2011 when we were at OKW. We popped over a couple times and found the rooms to be more cramped than ours was at OKW. And the theme at SSR doesn't really wow us either...BUT, you can walk to DtD and might get a view of DtD which is quite lovely at night. Also, the CS place at SSR is pretty good and it takes TIW card. There are also tons of dining options at DtD.

So:
for Xmas decor go AKV
for dining go AKV or SSR
for busing to parks go OKW (near HH if possible)
for space in villa go OKW
for lots to do at resort go AKV...then SSR (with walking to DtD)
for point conserving go AKV-value or standard view or OKW
for fantastic views go AKV-savannah or SSR (DtD view request with MS)

EDIT TO ADD: just noticed you said no park days...so I would eliminate OKW and go for one of the other 2.

It is my understanding that DVC is extremely popular from right after Thanksgiving through to the end of the year right after Christmas...:surfweb:

Won't availability be difficult to get?:confused3

It is my understanding that DVC is extremely popular from right after Thanksgiving through to the end of the year right after Christmas...:surfweb:

Won't availability be difficult to get?:confused3

December is very busy for DVC but right before Xmas isn't so bad. We've gone twice at that time and while we booked at a home resort in the 11 month priority window, we did switch from OKW to AKV this past year (for 1 of our 3 villas) and we added on a night last minute both years we went. SSR, OKW and AKV are larger resorts and not the most desired locations so you can get those under the 7 month window frequently. Time is ticking though, but at 6 months out OP should be able to get one of those.

Availability is very limited. We are doing a split stay at VWL and BWV. I tried to add extra days and there is no availabiity. Try to book soon or you may be shut out. Hope you get what you want! Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks for all your suggestions...When checking availability I actually noticed that 12/20 was available at VWL and decided that we'd be real happy there since I had always heard that is the Christmas resort. I was only going to do one night but when I checked this AM I was able to add on 12/21 too so now we've got 3 days and two nights and will fly home Monday. So happy we have SW airlines and can change flights tons of times too. Can't wait......

Just wondering how long your cruise will be. We were really tired after the 4 day cruise. That first day off boat was pretty dead for us.:coffee:

Just wondering how long your cruise will be. We were really tired after the 4 day cruise. That first day off boat was pretty dead for us.:coffee:

It is our first 7 night. I'll expect we will be tired too but it pains me to leave Orlando Saturday morning - a weekend - plus we aren't doing park days just resort / DTD stuff. This cruise number 7 for my DH and I :)

Wen we did the 4 night Bahamas Cruise, Disney Dream, August, 2011, we did 3 nights pre cruise WLV, 4 nights on Dream, and 1 night post cruise at BCV..

"Wind down" at BCV was night...didn't do any parks, just enjoyed the beauty of the boardwalk and wonderful Stormalong Bay, my FAVORITE!:cool1: GREAT VACA!:thumbsup2

Enjoy planning!:goodvibes

Thanks for all your suggestions...When checking availability I actually noticed that 12/20 was available at VWL and decided that we'd be real happy there since I had always heard that is the Christmas resort. I was only going to do one night but when I checked this AM I was able to add on 12/21 too so now we've got 3 days and two nights and will fly home Monday. So happy we have SW airlines and can change flights tons of times too. Can't wait......

Yay!!! What a nice snag. That resort is beautiful at Christmastime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter