Which hotels meet our specific needs? (newbie-ish)

kdaniels16

Mouseketeer
It's been 5 years since we've been and are taking the littles only.... My sister is visiting from New Zealand with her 2 yr old and I'm bringing my 5 yr old - January after the race, dates are flexible, possibly could go beginning of December. Flying in, no car. That's the basics of our trip. Our needs in importance order are:
We have to have a separate sitting room for early bedtimes/naps.
Transportation to parks
Walking distance to off property eats
Magic hour

Currently looking at Doubletree with breakfast option
We spoiled our big kids and had free dining at POR 5 yrs ago- so this is a different kind of trip that I'm unfamiliar with and I know a lot has changed in the past 5 yrs. Any info and tips you can send my way will be appreciated.
Also, am I booking the hotel too early and could miss an opportunity to save?

Doubletree has a very generous cancellation policy so if you find something you like better it should not be difficult to change ( depending on the rate, it’s usually either two or four days prior to check in). It might be more important to have a booking you are OK with just so you can relax and plan.

The DoubleTree Suites is the only property that gives you a completely separate space without booking two rooms. You could probably book a suite at one of the other hotels, but they'd probably be more expensive that the "regular" suite at the DoubleTree Suites. (There are a lot of "suites" in those two sentences!)

From personal experience, I know that the DoubleTree Suites is a solid hotel. The staff is great. Any minor issue (TV remote with dead batteries, safe that won't open) gets fixed with one phone call. In the 100+ nights I've stayed there over the past several years, I've only had one major problem. The hotel was evacuated due to a cooking fire in one of the guest rooms. I ended up missing a dinner because we were outside for several hours. When the staff found out, they bent over backwards to offer assistance...even though the problem wasn't one they created.

I'm not sure that locking in breakfast is the way to go. Unless it's a short stay, you may want more options. As I recall, the breakfast buffet is the same each day.

One thing I really like about the DoubleTree Suites is that it's a relatively short walk to off-site dining.

As far as prices go, most Orlando-area non-Disney hotels don't discount significantly in advance. I agree with fla4fun's suggestion that you can book a cancelable reservation now and periodically check for discounts.

The Disney Springs Hotels operate a marketing website. On that site, they offer seasonal discounts. Typically, you can only see the current season and possibly the next one. Right now, they have a winter offer. When April rolls around, they will drop the Spring/Summer offer. So for December or January, you probably won't see discounts until mid-fall.

https://disneyspringshotels.com/

With regard to the other hotels, here are some general observations:

• Best Western Lake Buena Vista: Currently under construction. They are building a second tower. Rates will probably drop due to the construction.
  • B Resort and Spa: Generally receives good reviews.
  • Holiday Inn Disney Springs: My second favorite of the bunch (behind the DoubleTree Suites). Solid hotel but you'd need two rooms.
  • Wyndham Lake Buena Vista: Rooms are in the main tower. Decent reviews. Shares public areas with the "Garden" below.
  • Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista: Rooms are motel-style with exterior entry. Poor reviews.
  • Hilton Lake Buena Vista: Large property with multiple restaurants. Lackluster service. Often WAY overpriced.
  • Hilton Buena Vista Palace: Public areas were recently renovated (and look wonderful). Guest rooms are overdue for a renovation. This hotel is on my personal "do not return" list because the guest room I was assigned on my last stay was shockingly dirty. I checked out after one night.

I vote bonnet creek or Sheraton vistana. I love staying on property but does not sound like that would work for you unless you stay in a villa and forget the being able to walk to off property restaurants.

I vote bonnet creek or Sheraton vistana. I love staying on property but does not sound like that would work for you unless you stay in a villa and forget the being able to walk to off property restaurants.

Those properties do not meet 2 of the 4 criteria.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!