Which on property hotel?

smileeyore

Earning My Ears
I’m a Disney World “expert” but planning our first trip to Disneyland seems overwhelming! I think we want to stay on property but which hotel is right?

- Family of 4 with 2 young kids, possibly other adult family members joining us.
- At WDW we love a variety of resorts, both value and deluxe. Love theming of value, amenities of deluxe.
- Assuming that price is not a factor (have looked at pricing and at least a standard view room at any of the resorts is within budget)
- This is our first trip and probably won’t be back anytime in near future.

Is GCH worth the extra for location and ambiance? Would little boys prefer theme/pools at one of the others? We’d like to be close to parks but looks like they really all are. Why should we pick one or another?! So hard!

I’m a Disney World “expert” but planning our first trip to Disneyland seems overwhelming! I think we want to stay on property but which hotel is right?

- Family of 4 with 2 young kids, possibly other adult family members joining us.
- At WDW we love a variety of resorts, both value and deluxe. Love theming of value, amenities of deluxe.
- Assuming that price is not a factor (have looked at pricing and at least a standard view room at any of the resorts is within budget)

Is GCH worth the extra for location and ambiance? Would little boys prefer theme/pools at one of the others? We’d like to be close to parks but looks like they really all are. Why should we pick one or another?! So hard!
Will the other adult family members be having their own room?
Disney hotels for a standard room allow a max of 5 people.

I have found kids of all ages to enjoy either the DLH or GCH pools. One thing to be aware of the DLH slides are not open the same hours as the pool area. When we were stayed at DLH, the slides closed at 5pm each day.

The GCH does have a great location and everything. It is an easy trip back for a break in the day and especially at the end of a long day in the parks. If it's in the budget, staying here is always our first choice.

We have stayed at PPH and DLH.
Pools are great at DLH but my kids had fun in the smaller pool at PPH also.

We like the rooms at DLH better, theming.

We often arrive early evening the night before and love vieing the fireworks from the top of PPH. Sitting on the rooftop and having the music piped in.

Great view of DCA from PPH. Even if you don't have a Premier room each hall has big windows to look out and see the park. The north end window you can see DL out of also.

Walk is almost the same on the way out of the parks. One nice thing is that leaving the parks you can cut through GCH to get to PPH. GCH is so calm and quiet, getting out of DTD is nice and less fighting of crowds. Walk out is about the same distance as DLH because of the cut through. You can't cut through to get in b/c you have to go through security by DLH so it is longer but fresh feet and excitement make it a wash.

If price is not a factor and this is likely to be your only trip, then GCH is the answer. No question about it. If GCH is an option, and you stay anywhere else, you’ll end up wondering if you should have stayed at GCH.

We would have multiple rooms for sure. It’ll be 2-3 adults joining, and while we have squeezed in one suite while the littlest was a baby, that was a super short trip.

I’m going to look at the pricing again for DCH. Maybe we could do a split stay, we’ll be doing 5 nights likely. And we do splits often at WDW to get a taste of different resorts :).

Is there anywhere from GCH or DLH to view fireworks? Or could you visit PPH rooftop?

My order of preference in your situation would be GCH, DLH, then PPH.

I personally find PPH lacking in comparison to the other options. There are no grounds whatsoever. The pool is on one of the hotel floors and is ok but nothing like the other 2. Likewise, the amenities at PPH are lackluster with a very non-descript lobby. Rooms are nice but the whole feeling is that you're not really in an onsite hotel, probably because it didn't used to be a Disney hotel at all. I used to stay there when it was the Pan Pacific because it was close but a fraction of the price of DLH and you could still walk down and ride the monorail. Obviously that was long ago, but in terms of the hotel, very little was changed except to add some Disney theming and a character meal. One thing it has going for it is the great views of DCA from some of the rooms, and sometimes you can get a good deal on concierge plus view room (although the lounge has shorter hours than the other 2 hotels), but personally, I will pay more to stay at DLH or GCH. My own favorite is GCH, but it's a very close run-off with DLH and I love both for different reasons. If you love a huge multi-story lobby with gigantic open fireplace and comfy furniture plus a piano player bringing you Disney tunes live, GCH is your choice. You can eat and drink in the lobby and enjoy entertainment as well. There's a great gift shop and lounge right there, with a short walk to great dining, the pool, and the semi-private entrance to DCA. DLH has the wonderful Steakhouse 55 (fantastic breakfast choice), Trader Sam's/Tangaroa Terrace with live island music on the terrace, outdoor fireplace, and a nice pool with waterslides. I prefer the pool at GCH with the new outdoor dining patio, but DLH is good, too. Goofy's Kitchen has character meals and there's a nice bar area next to that, plus a cartoon room for the kids. There is a lot of very cool memorabilia and many areas to explore, but no central lobby for mingling or hanging out for very long. The hotel consists of 3 separate towers that are not connected so you have to walk outdoors from one to the other. Both GCH and DLH have lovely outdoor areas.

We would have multiple rooms for sure. It’ll be 2-3 adults joining, and while we have squeezed in one suite while the littlest was a baby, that was a super short trip.

I’m going to look at the pricing again for DCH. Maybe we could do a split stay, we’ll be doing 5 nights likely. And we do splits often at WDW to get a taste of different resorts :).

Is there anywhere from GCH or DLH to view fireworks? Or could you visit PPH rooftop?
We have only stayed at the DLH (twice). My son loved the pools/slides and light up headboards in the room. Both times we were in a standard room in the fantasy tower and could watch the fireworks from our room. Not the greatest viewing ever since it’s off to the side but fun since we weren’t even going to try to watch from the parks. I love the grounds at DLH and Trader Sam’s.

I’d love to try GCH someday, it’s just so $$$$.

I’ve stayed at all 3 and if cost wasn’t a factor I would stay at the GCH every visit. The location and ambiance are wonderful. The rates are just outrageous compared to what they used to be so I rarely stay there anymore unless I can get a good deal.

The DH is pretty good too, I’ve usually enjoyed my stays there with the exception of the walls being pretty thin and hearing lots of noise from neighbors, hallways, etc. I love the tropical feel of the grounds and being so close to afternoon tea and Trader Sam’s.

PP is nothing to write home about but we’re staying there for our next visit because it’s the cheapest of the 3 and we really wanted early entry.

If you like animal kingdom lodge, GCH is most similar to that. There are views of DCA and world of color from your room, and a world of color viewing deck.

We didn't like DLH at all. It feels stale and contemporary. We stayed in 2017 for our anniversary as a special occasion change and the room seemed in poor condition for the price we paid. The bed was terrible (sagging, lump in middle, etc).

We love both DLH and GC-we own DVC at the Grand now so obviously love it. However, I’d also stay at DLH in a second-we loved the retro Disney vibe there and the pools (and Trader Sam!) and found the rooms to be large and well themed. Yes, it’s farther than the Grand but all three hotels are closer to the parks than anything at WDW, I think, so you really can’t go wrong.

We actually had DVC rooms at VGC last year but ended up not making it. Unfortunately we don’t have enough points to try this year with a spring break trip. I’m thinking we would actually like all of these hotels :). Considering maybe 2 days at DLH and 3 days at GCH. We love Animal Kingdom Lodge and I think the pictures remind me a bit of Wilderness Lodge too. I’m thinking doing both may get us the best of both - some fun retro and proximity to Trader Sam’s, and the lovely atmosphere of the Grand. Thanks everyone!!

We just stayed at DLH. I enjoyed being by trader sams. We stopped in one evening. It’s just not worth it to me and we had a large discount. It was a long walk at the end of the night. Too long to go back for short breaks or to grab something.

PPH is out of the question.

So, I’d recommend GCH or staying off site. We’ll probably continuing to stay off site.

OP: Here are some threads with good information for you --
From the sticky threads at the top of the first page: * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- so many good threads with great info here
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread with very helpful information!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- a treasure trove of helpful threads!
From the above thread:
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/

OP: Here are some threads with good information for you --
From the sticky threads at the top of the first page: * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- so many good threads with great info here
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread with very helpful information!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- a treasure trove of helpful threads!
From the above thread:
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/
Thanks!! I read through a couple of these already :) I have a lot of research to do!

I'll just add that staying anywhere else makes me wish I was staying at the Grand. The convenience can't be beat and almost all of the rooms have a small balcony. I love the grounds at DLH, but have never felt that the price of the rooms were worth it.

We love staying at the GCH..... proximity can't be beat. DLH, though has the allure of the pool area....waterslides for the kids. Pool area is nice at GCH, but the kids love, love the waterslides at DLH.
As far as distance to the gates, it is really not that much further and there is the option of using the monorail to save steps.
The choice depends on your family and what you are looking for. Kind of hard to go wrong with either !

We have stayed at both GCH and DLH. I prefer the GCH and proximity has a lot to do with it. We walk so much there (25,000 + steps per day), that walking that little bit further to DLH felt like an eternity at the end of the day. GCH is easy to pop back to the room for something, a break, 5pm pin trading (a big deal for our DDs), a swim, dry off after GRR, drop off jackets, whatever. The atmosphere in the lobby is tremendous and “grand”, whereas for me, the DLH could have been just about any other high rise hotel. Somehow we failed to see the roaming characters that others post about at DLH. I love the architecture of the GCH, and we took the Art of the Craft tour one trip, which was lovely. I love the bell services and front desk staff at GCH, as they are always very helpful.

The new bar poolside at GCH is a treat, especially for us with older kids who can enjoy the pool while we have a drink/snack. We love going into DCA at 7am early entry, and using that entrance throughout the day.

As OP said, I felt the rooms at DLH were drab and needed a refresh. My kids were not wowed by the light up head boards. We did enjoy Trader Sam‘s for a drink in the afternoon on a pool break, but now the GCH has their new bar which we loved.

You have received some great advice from others here, so I will leave it at that. The last thing I would say is that I would think hard about doing a split stay, as it chews up a lot of time to pack and move 2 days into the trip, unless it is a non-park day. I have had to move rooms on our June trip, within the GCH, and it was still disruptive and took a lot more time that I wanted to spend on it. So I would just pick one for this trip, stay there, and then visit the other hotel to get the flavor. Then you have an excuse to come back (yes, I am a Disney enabler!)...

The last thing I would say is that I would think hard about doing a split stay, as it chews up a lot of time to pack and move 2 days into the trip, unless it is a non-park day. I have had to move rooms on our June trip, within the GCH, and it was still disruptive and took a lot more time that I wanted to spend on it. So I would just pick one for this trip, stay there, and then visit the other hotel to get the flavor. Then you have an excuse to come back (yes, I am a Disney enabler!)...

This is very true. It's not necessarily an easy switch, as you have to be out of one room fairly early and often can't check into the next until late. If you don't need to access your room or get to your belongings easily, then it's not as big a deal, but you'd still have to move your stuff and set it up in the new room etc.

One thought, if you really want to see both hotels, is to switch on your last night and stay concierge at the new hotel. You can check in early in the day (though your bags will likely still need to be held until the room is officially ready) and you have immediate access to the lounge, or at least we did, and the pool areas. That gives you food & drink, plus a place to hang out if needed. The next day, when you check out, you have breakfast and snacks and access to the lounge until noon. We made bagel and croissant sandwiches and took them with us for lunch along with some fruit and snacks. It might be kind of a fun way to end the trip. It's not cheap, though. I think DLH is an extra $200/night for concierge and GCH is something like $300, which is kind of ridiculous. They do include beer, wine, and some other alcoholic beverages, but anyway, by paying for it for one night you can actually get almost 2 days of concierge.

Add me to the GCH fan club. It's my absolute favorite- love the architecture and feel of the hotel, love the proximity to the parks, love just walking through and hanging out in the lobby (especially during the holidays but year round is great too). I like that pretty much all the rooms have a little balcony, even just to open the slider and get some fresh air.

All that said, I also love the DLH, just not quite as much as GCH. The historical photos and touches are very nice at the DLH and the pools and grounds are lovely, as mentioned. If you do go with the DLH I'd request Adventure or Fantasy tower. We had Frontier tower on our Oct stay at DLH and the walk felt eternal, even from the monorail.

Since you mentioned that you have young children, I will point out that almost all (if not all) of the rooms at GCH have showers, not tubs. The showers are very nice but may be sub optimal for bathing littles. At DLH almost all (if not all) rooms have tubs (with adorable fixtures, I might add ;) ).

PPH is... OK. If DLH and GCH are both within budget I wouldn't bother with PPH, honestly. The rooms are spacious and the Theme Park View ones have a great view of WoC and Pixar Pier all lit up at night. But the hotel doesn't really have the same magic (to me) as the other two and the walk seems sooo far. I used to do PPH more when you could cut through the GCH both to and from the parks but now that they removed that option going to the park I just don't find myself wanting to go with PPH much (though I did stay there this past June to get a SWGE reservation). PPH also has tubs in most, if not all, rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter