Which on property hotel?

If you do a split stay, will bell services move your bags between hotels? We do split stays on a lot of trips at WDW so packing/no room access doesn’t bother me. (My last adult only trip we had 4 rooms in 4 days...late DVC booking problem o_O That was a little much lol) BUT bell services is amazing and moves your bags between hotels so we’ve never been inconvenienced as far as dragging bags around.

If you do a split stay, will bell services move your bags between hotels? We do split stays on a lot of trips at WDW so packing/no room access doesn’t bother me. (My last adult only trip we had 4 rooms in 4 days...late DVC booking problem o_O That was a little much lol) BUT bell services is amazing and moves your bags between hotels so we’ve never been inconvenienced as far as dragging bags around.
I don’t know the answer to that but I will point out a difference from WDW that may not be obvious if you haven’t been to DLR. At WDW, we almost never go back to our room in the day because it just soaks up too much time away from the parks. At DLR, we almost always go back to the room for a break, drop something off, pick something up, etc. So lack of access to any room all day mid trip is much more of a disruption at DLR than at WDW, depending on the way you tour. For our family, it is a disruption that is not worth it, but you may feel differently! You are much tougher than I am to move to 4 rooms in 4 days!!!

I'd definitely would do GCH if price is not a factor.

The convenience of being on property and able to leave Disney California Adventures and go straight to the hotel was awesome! Especially during the summer months and if you're on the rapids ride, go straight back for a change of clothes or power nap to get you through the rest of the day made it so much easier logistically.

We would have our kids nap in the room for 1-2 hours and one adult would stay in the room, while the other could go into downtown disney and shop at the huge disney store and small boutiques.

If you go during the holidays, then it's really dressed up nicely with Santa and the tree along with carolers at certain times in the lobby. There's also the gingerbread house and some extra goodies / snacks to purchase right by Hearthstone lounge.

Disneyland hotel was nice, just a bit more of a walk when leaving the park. You can cross over through GCH to get to Paradise Pier Hotel, but not the other way around. Both hotels are nice as well, Disneyland has a better swimming pool area for the family out of the three.

You can't go wrong with any of the three on site properties, and compared to WDW, it would be like going from Magic Kingdom and walking to the Contemporary at worst.

Aloha,

Have enjoyed DLH and GCH. My preteen children loved DLH for its superior Disney theming and pools. As older teenagers, they prefer the location of the GCH. My wife enjoys her social media relaxation time chilling in the GCH lobby with her wine.
Another aspect to consider are the security screening sites. It is much easier accessing DL, DCA and Downtown Disney from GCH than DLH.
Whichever hotel you select basically is dependent upon your family's priorities. Park access vs. Disney bubble.

Good luck

I’ve had the absolute pleasure of staying at DLH and GCH many times. I’ve only stayed at PPH once. And I think that’s a one and done for me. While I do think it’s a great slightly more budget friendly option that still gives you some perks, like EMH, there’s just nothing special about it. No beautiful grounds. Just a hotel with a Disney named slapped on it. Plus, you leave the oh so perfect bubble when you walk across the street!

It’s so hard for me to pick between DLH and GCH. They are both wonderful for different reasons. I prefer the theming at DLH, especially when I take the kids (yes, I go to Disney without the kids too!) Much more “Disney”. The grounds are just magical, in my opinion. The light up headboards make for a guaranteed smile. The rooms are larger than at GCH. I love walking through the lobby and seeing Goofy bee bop around. I like Goofy’s Kitchen much more than the Storytellers at GCH. But that walk through downtown Disney gets real old real fast. Also, I did not care for Club Level at DLH due to staying in a completely different tower than the lounge.

GCH doesn’t feel very Disney to me. It’s beautiful though. It’s great for adult trips. And I highly recommend Club Level here. It’s the same floor, very easy quick access. The lobby is simply....grand. And location, location, location. That’s the biggest selling point for me. Although leaving Disneyland still feels like a jaunt getting back to the room. You walk dang near halfway through downtown Disney and then could have a decent walk to your room once you get into the hotel. A standard view room can be...not very pleasant. I have looked out at a gravel roof top littered with cigarette butts. It pained me to have spent nearly $600/night for a room with that kind a view.

You can’t go wrong between the two, really! I don’t recommend a split stay like others do. I do not like the idea of packing up and moving around like that. Pick a hotel and enjoy the heck out of it!

I don't usually stay on property at Disneyland because i don't think there are enough benefits for the amount they charge. Of the 3, I think your kids would like the Disneyland hotel best. Great pool and the castle headboard that plays music is pretty cool.

Yes. See this thread for details.

GCH for sure, but I sure do miss that headboard and giant room at DLH.
Wasn’t worth the hike through DD, though.

Just go back from first stay at GCH. We all thought it was much better than DLH. DLH was overpriced in my opinion. I didn't think the DLH room was all that great aside from the headboard. GCH had better rooms, better service, better location, plus the DCA entrance was awesome. Obviously the price reflects the amenities but I'm in definitely in the GCH or off-site boat. The other two DLR hotels are on the wrong side of the cost /benefit chart for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter