Which restaurants for food lovers that often cook fine dining at home?

MeridaMerida

Mouseketeer
Which restaurants would you suggest for food lovers that can cook fine dining at home? For instance, just this week, I made steamed lobster tails, filets, seared scallops and short ribs.. so "fancy" food makes it way to our dinner table pretty often at home. I am seeking out super unique experiences or menus that has delicious food we probably wouldn't cook at home or a really special atmosphere or some other draw!

Victoria and Albert's in the Grand Floridian. That's it.
Yep. I'd say that California Grill brunch is your next best bet. Good food, good service, very relaxing atmosphere and great view. Then there are probably a number of signature restaurants in the next category that have pretty good food and an interesting atmosphere--Flying Fish, Jiko, Narcoossee's, and potentially Topolino's Terrace, Monsieur Paul's and Tiffins (never been to those three). And then there is the next layer of signature restaurants that are essentially your neighborhood steakhouse - Yachtsman, Le Cellier, Brown Derby, etc.

Jaleo in Disney Springs is not easy to replicate at home since you are getting a bunch of different tapas. I also can't really do sushi at home because grocery stores around here tend not to have sushi-grade fish--Takumei Tei in Epcot, or Morimoto in Disney Springs might be good options as a result.

Unfortunately the experiences that are the most "unique" tend not to have the greatest food. Eating in a castle (Cinderella's Royal Table/Be Our Guest) is really a fun and unique atmosphere, but the food is meh. Same with the Luau at the Poly. I have my fingers crossed the new Space 220 restaurant will have good food plus a unique atmosphere, but who knows when that will open.

I personally love California Grill - that view over Magic Kingdom, Grand Flordian & the Poly can not be beat. I like to get a reservation around sunset - it's breathtaking.

And the food is great! Since you're a great home-chef, it may be on par with what you make. But I've never been disappointed by my food there.

Yachtsman, Flying Fish, Jiko, and most of all, Capa at the Four Seasons (on property, easy cab ride, absolutely phenomenal food, service, atmosphere, and prices are comparable to Disney Signature restaurants).

Which restaurants would you suggest for food lovers that can cook fine dining at home? For instance, just this week, I made steamed lobster tails, filets, seared scallops and short ribs.. so "fancy" food makes it way to our dinner table pretty often at home. I am seeking out super unique experiences or menus that has delicious food we probably wouldn't cook at home or a really special atmosphere or some other draw!
Self-Described food-snob here.

There's Victoria & Albert.....and everything else......

We're partial to (in no particular order):
- Swan & Dolphin Signatures are a cut-above Disney-run establishments.
a.) BlueZoo is the standout for their multiple whole grilled fish options. A hint of molecular gastronomy.
b.) Shula's is often considered the best steak at Disney. Oversized meat portions & a chocolate soufflé' that is superior.
https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.com/#
- Capa atop Four Season. Tapas & Small Plates.
https://www.fourseasons.com/orlando/dining/restaurants/capa/dinner/
- Jaleo in Disney Springs. Chef Anders is a celebrity chef serving foods from his native Spain, including a few molecular gastronomy options that are his claim-to-fame.

- Only for brunch - CA Grill. The most civilized meal I have repeatedly enjoyed at Disney (that is not Victoria & Albert). Live music & an incomparable view.

- Disney Signatures are fine. But few offer dishes that an outstanding home cook would not be able to replicate. Mostly, because the high-volume simply prevents the same amount of 'love' that smaller kitchens can serve. That said, there are no Disney Signatures I avoid, but we simply arrive with lower expectations.

-- Rooms that are Uniquely Disney, food is 'secondary':
a.) Cinderella's Castle
b.) Sci-Fi Dine-In & 50's Prime Time. These places are not about the food.
c.) Sanaa - at AKLodge. Curry & live animals.
d.) Coral Reef. You're in an aquarium. Food quality is the concern for many.

Also, look at this tool, where you can Dine with an Imagineer or on the Savannah in Animal Kingdom Park
(sort by Dining Experience / Uniquely Disney):
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/#/unique-themed-dining/

Last edited:
Self-Described food-snob here.

There's Victoria & Albert.....and everything else......

We're partial to (in no particular order):
- Swan & Dolphin Signatures are a cut-above Disney-run establishments.
a.) BlueZoo is the standout for their multiple whole grilled fish options. A hint of molecular gastronomy.
b.) Shula's is often considered the best steak at Disney. Oversized meat portions & a chocolate soufflé' that is superior.
https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.com/#
- Capa atop Four Season. Tapas & Small Plates.
https://www.fourseasons.com/orlando/dining/restaurants/capa/dinner/
- Jaleo in Disney Springs. Chef Anders is a celebrity chef serving foods from his native Spain, including a few molecular gastronomy options that are his claim-to-fame.

- Only for brunch - CA Grill. The most civilized meal I have repeatedly enjoyed at Disney (that is not Victoria & Albert). Live music & an incomparable view.

- Disney Signatures are fine. But few offer dishes that an outstanding home cook would not be able to replicate. Mostly, because the high-volume simply prevents the same amount of 'love' that smaller kitchens can serve. That said, there are no Disney Signatures I avoid, but we simply arrive with lower expectations.

-- Rooms that are Uniquely Disney, food is 'secondary':
a.) Cinderella's Castle
b.) Sci-Fi Dine-In & 50's Prime Time. These places are not about the food.
c.) Sanaa - at AKLodge. Curry & live animals.
d.) Coral Reef. You're in an aquarium. Food quality is the concern for many.

Also, look at this tool, where you can Dine with an Imagineer or on the Savannah in Animal Kingdom Park
(sort by Dining Experience / Uniquely Disney):
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/#/unique-themed-dining/
I haven't tried Capa, but it's on my list now. Menu looks outstanding.

Follow up--Capa or Shula's? Shula's seems more like a standard steakhouse, but also something that might be more appealing to the family because there's a bit more variety.

Last edited:
To be fair, steaks, lobster, scallops and especially short ribs are easy to make at home and often better than restaurants for the cost. For things that are more difficult to get at home I would consider Jaleo, Morimoto, Jiko, bluezoo, Takumi Tei, Monsieur Paul, and obviously V&A.

I haven't tried Capa, but it's on my list now. Menu looks outstanding.

Follow up--Capa or Shula's? Shula's seems more like a standard steakhouse, but also something that might be more appealing to the family because there's a bit more variety.
Shula’s is delicious but definitely falls into the classic steakhouse category.

Go to Morimoto and sit at the sushi bar. Tell the chef to give you whatever he wants and do a sushi omakassee. Did It once when I was there for work, unreal.

I've been wondering if others would say things I was thinking of writing. Most ppl call me a foodie, but I would never call myself that. My immediate fam calls me a food snob at times, but I would never call myself that, either. I love a cheap taco made with pride as much as a slice of artisan bologna made with pride, as much as a pristine piece of chutoro or whatever - as long as it's served with pride. I cook a LOT at home, and I like to do it. I tend to seek out bargains for value, and also things that I don't cook well at home, or things I don't LIKE to cook at home (usually fried things) when I go out to eat. I'd echo some of the sentiments here that there are only a few restaurants in Wallyworld worth splurging for. I tend to use the KISS method for selecting dining options because of the prices in WDW. I will say this tho - Swan/Dolphin restaurants aren't ultra crazy priced for the quality, and I think Kimonos for sushi is a bargain. WDW is one of the only places I'll happily order chicken strips anywhere too. They take their chicken strips, and also fried chicken seriously. I'm not saying that there aren't good restaurants throughout WDW. I'm just saying that most of those good restaurants might leave you thinking, "I could have had much better in my home town for a decent amount less," OR, "I could have made this at home better for much less."

Not yet mentioned is Bull & Bear at the Waldorf. Food and service is fantastic. They do a lot of tableside preparations that are fun and somewhat unique and the resort is beautiful. I'd also echo recommendations for Victoria & Albert's, Capa, bluezoo, Jiko, and brunch at California Grill (Sundays only). For Capa and Jiko, I definitely recommend allowing time to explore the resorts. Sunset from Capa's rooftop bar is glorious. And viewing animals on the savanna through night vision goggles is a pretty unique! The omakase at Takumi-Tei was outstanding and while I've not done it, I've heard the same of the omakase at Morimoto. I'm not sure that there's anything particularly unique about it but Wine Bar George is an excellent restaurant - obviously fantastic wine list but also delicious food and warm hospitality. It is not considered a signature but I think it delivers like one. They also do a great brunch on Sat and Sun if California Grill is booked. Hope you have a great trip. Would love to know where you ate and what you thought when you get back!

Which restaurants would you suggest for food lovers that can cook fine dining at home?...I am seeking out super unique experiences or menus that has delicious food we probably wouldn't cook at home or a really special atmosphere or some other draw!

V&A does a good job of setting the bar for haute cuisine at WDW, but I would actually steer you towards California Grill.

It's one thing to make food at home that would be expensive at a restaurant. It's next level to make food at an expensive restaurant that would be dirt cheap at home. Case in point ... (and I don't know if the menu still features it) but I ordered Chicken and Dumplings off the menu at CG once and it was stellar. Shockingly good and a great break from the usual DxDP strategy of Filet Mignon or Lobster Thermidore.

I wouldn't say we eat "fancy" at home but I did marry myself a chef so our cooking at our home is pretty dang good if I do say myself. That said on vacation I appreciate a. being served in a beautiful atmosphere b. eating things we cannot get at home and c. all the adult beverages I could never concoct myself.

So that said below meet these criteria for me at Disney (note we've never done V&A or Takumi Tei or I'm sure they would be on the list)
California Grill - Brunch is the big winner here but dinner is spectacular as well. Can't beat Magic Kingdom views and delicious, seasonal food

Jiko - They take approachable proteins but pair them with unique African spices that is like nothing I can get at home

Jaleo - We haven't done the DS one but this has been a favorite restaurant of ours at home for years. I'd pick appetizers over entrees any day of the week and their tapas are the perfect way to try so many things.

Morimoto - Our last meal there wasn't as good as previous ones but their amazing ribs and sushi is a thing of my dreams

Homecoming - We never fry food at home so to eat delicious hush puppies and fried chicken is a total indulgence. Plus moonshine drinks to boot

Sanaa/Sebastians - In the non-signature category we are big fans of both of these places. Their food isn't fancy but offer African/Indian and Caribbean spices that are hard to come by at home. Plus they both have the most delicious bread options (naan bread service and pull apart rolls respectively) I've ever had and no chance that is coming out of my kitchen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter