which way to pay off cruise?

My question was related to non Disney insurance. Let's say you purchase 5k in gift cards then need to cancel after PIF. I wonder if you would be reimbursed for the gift cards.

Any amount refunded by DCL would go to the gift card. If you file a claim with insurance for the non-refundable balance, that would be cash.

I think you are asking: if you received a DCL refund back onto the gift card(s), could you then file a claim with insurance to get that value in cash. I believe the answer is no, but you should ask the third-party insurance directly to know for sure.

enjoy your cruise!

Any amount refunded by DCL would go to the gift card. If you file a claim with insurance for the non-refundable balance, that would be cash.

I think you are asking: if you received a DCL refund back onto the gift card(s), could you then file a claim with insurance to get that value in cash. I believe the answer is no, but you should ask the third-party insurance directly to know for sure.

enjoy your cruise!

My question was for anyone that needed to file a claim with a third party insurance for a cruise in which they used gift cards. Someone earlier mentioned buying 7k worth of gift cards and that would be terrible if a third party insurance didn't consider that as valid payment

that would be terrible if a third party insurance didn't consider that as valid payment
Yes, it is valid payment. Any amount not refunded by DCL could be submitted as a claim with the insurance and reimbursement would be in cash.

If one cancels and there is any refund back from DCL - it will be refunded back to the gift card(s). While I agree the funds are tied up in gift cards, it can be used again, so I don’t know why insurance would cover it as a “loss.”
That’s something to consider if paying by gift card. If you don’t want a reimbursement limited like that, I suggest paying by credit card or debit card. If there are unique circumstances in which someone needs cash, maybe DCL will work with that person, but it would be outside standard refund procedure.

Enjoy your cruise!

Meijer just posted the 5 off 50 rewards and Disney GC are not excluded so I will be buying some when I get my groceries today!!!! 10% off plus my 2% with Disney Visa at grocery stores.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll be heading to Meijer to get my Disney gift cards and paying for them with my Disney Visa card.

My question was related to non Disney insurance. Let's say you purchase 5k in gift cards then need to cancel after PIF. I wonder if you would be reimbursed for the gift cards.
My question was for anyone that needed to file a claim with a third party insurance for a cruise in which they used gift cards. Someone earlier mentioned buying 7k worth of gift cards and that would be terrible if a third party insurance didn't consider that as valid payment
We had travel insurance with Nationwide. When we needed reimbursed for a portion of our cruise (missed port excursion) they paid us back in cash even though we had paid entirely with gift cards. However before they would pay us we had to submit the receipts from when we purchased the gift cards at Giant Eagle. Not sure what they would have done if we hadn’t had them. So we needed our cruise portfolio/final bill and the receipt from the purchase of the gift cards. Hope that helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter