Which would you do? EMM @ MK, or extra park half-day?

We just got back from a short HS-only trip for Spring break and are going back for my daughter's birthday in June. We are bringing her best friend, who has never been to Disney other Hollywood Studios with us last week. Family and I went to Animal Kingdom last year, but best friend has never been. Which option would you choose? I'd be about $190 for EMM (husband would probably join us later in the day and not go to EMM) or $80 for an additional park day. If we go with AK, we could probably add in another character meal.

ETA: Daughter is turning 8 the week we go, and her best friend is 8! We all managed RD to close at HS plus tons of walking at DS the day before and resort exploring the day after without complaint, so pretty good stamina! Girls also road RnR and ToT, love all rides!

We arrive an hour before rope-drop, take an afternoon break, and return to the parks unless early closing. We drive.

Monday - Arrival day (no park)
Tuesday - Magic Kingdom (Early Morning Magic)
Wednesday - Pool/Disney Springs day
Thursday - Epcot (EMH at 8 am -- we'd be there!)
Friday - Departure day;'Ohana brunch

OR

Monday - Arrival day + half-day Animal Kingdom highlights (Safari, Pandora, EE, Lion King show, etc.)
Tuesday - Epcot (Evening EMH until 11)
Wednesday - Pool/Disney Springs day with character meal
Thursday - Magic Kingdom (PPO breakfast at BOG)
Friday - Departure day;'Ohana brunch

Thanks for any and all insight!

Last edited:
I would definitely choose the half day at AK as long as your drive wasn't super crazy. An afternoon and evening in AK would be our pick after arrival. Mk should be open pretty late in June so I would rope drop it , take your pool break then return. Just avoid scheduling MK on an emh day if possible.

Personally I’d take the extra Park day but I’d do AK for a full day on Wednesday and do the pool on arrival day. You’re not there too long so I wouldn’t take a full break day but that’s me.
Grandparents are meeting us Wednesday so unfortunately can't make it a park day! Thank you though!

Aren't all the FL resident tickets 3 days or more? We're doing half days on arrival and departure days because the FL 3-day ticket is the same as a regular 2-day (no FL option), and the 4th day was only $20 more. (If you're using military tickets or some other discount, your math might be different than mine.)

After reading your title my initial thought was to choose EMM. I'm a fan of this event and think it's money well spent because of how easy it is to do so much in a short amount of time. Then I read your schedule and it changed my mind. Since you only have the one chance to do Animal Kingdom, I think it's the better choice between the two, especially since your travel time is very reasonable.

Jacksonville. 2.5 - 3.5 hrs away. :)

Nice! I figured you were a resident with the spring break trip and then one in June. Did you purchase the FL 3 day Discovery ticket? Why are you paying $80 for an extra day? :confused3

Aren't all the FL resident tickets 3 days or more? We're doing half days on arrival and departure days because the FL 3-day ticket is the same as a regular 2-day (no FL option), and the 4th day was only $20 more. (If you're using military tickets or some other discount, your math might be different than mine.)

No, all FL resident tickets aren't three days or more. Those just happen to be cheaper...that's all. If I buy the norm ressie ticket, it's about $62 a day. Right now I'm paying $49 a day because I got the 4 day ticket. :cool1:

Nice! I figured you were a resident with the spring break trip and then one in June. Did you purchase the FL 3 day Discovery ticket? Why are you paying $80 for an extra day? :confused3

No, all FL resident tickets aren't three days or more. Those just happen to be cheaper...that's all. If I buy the norm ressie ticket, it's about $62 a day. Right now I'm paying $49 a day because I got the 4 day ticket. :cool1:
We have the 3 day ticket now, used 1 day last week :) Would be adding the 4th day! $20/ea for 4 tickets.

Trying to convince my husband AK on arrival day is a great idea lol!

LOL! I change our plans so much that anything I do my husband thinks was part of the original plan. I just added a whole day onto our vacation and he blinked an eye, but didn’t question it. I say plan it, build motivation around it, and everyone has to go along with it. Heck- they may even think it was their idea to begin with .. LOL

LOL! I change our plans so much that anything I do my husband thinks was part of the original plan. I just added a whole day onto our vacation and he blinked an eye, but didn’t question it. I say plan it, build motivation around it, and everyone has to go along with it. Heck- they may even think it was their idea to begin with .. LOL
Hahaha. I don't like to think of myself as manipulative BUT THIS, YES!

We may book Saratoga Springs 1-bedroom villa for Monday and Tuesday night instead of a half park day. We've never stayed at a deluxe and the price for the 1-bedroom villa is about the same as the cabin and we can enjoy the pool Monday and Wednesday! The girls LOVE swimming. We won't have a party of 6 until Wednesday, so then we'll switch over to the cabin. :)

ETA: One reason we've never stayed deluxe is because we have to have a kitchen due to my husband's health condition, so we have to do villa or cabin, and villa is typically out of our budget!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter