Fisheye Lenses

Deedee

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if there is a good photography shop in Orlando. We would like to buy a fisheye lens for the D50 but they are as much as the camera over here in the uk and was wondering if it is worth waiting and trying to get one when we visit in september

a good Fish eye lens is pricey no matter where you get it from these days.You might save a litle because theres no VAT here, but i wouldnt expect a significant savings.As an alternative, there is a "fish eye" adapter that you can add to your existing lens.Its not a true fish eye, but it gets the job done. Good luck!
Sherrie

I have looked at these on Ebay and I like the effect, I think it would make some cool looking shots at WDW and other places. Does anyone have one or used one? I like to have a little insight before buying one.

Thanks!

If you're talking about a fisheye adapter - ie, something that goes over your existing lens to give it a fisheye look - they are, by all indications, total junk and not worth their cheap cost.

You need a proper fisheye lens to do it right. You can get the Zenitar lens from Russia via eBay for relatively cheap ($125-150), it comes in Pentax, M42, and Nikon mounts and there are adapters to use the M42 one on a Canon. It is 100% manual; if you want a fancier one with an automatic aperature and/or autofocus you'll need another one and are probably looking at a few hundreds dollars.

You'll also have to remember that a lens that gives a full fisheye effect on a 35mm SLR will lose some of that on a DSLR due to the edges being cut off. If you want the full 180' fish on a DSLR you need an even wider lens - something like 10mm or so.

Cool pics. I love the Dumbo & Test Track shots. Fish eye gives a neat perspective.

Those are neat! I love the Lodge ones. Fish eye is fun. :)

Those photos are awesome! I would never have thought of taking fisheye pics at Disney World, but it really gives a cool perspective.

BIG FUN! I love the ones of Wilderness Lodge and Test Track.

whet my appetite by showing me your ultra wide angle or fisheye shots, please...it will make my wait less traumatic;)

I don't think I posted this one in the Seabreeze thread...

Seabreeze2007-30.jpg

With my Zenitar on my K1000 (good ol' film):

2007WDW-635.jpg

2007WDW-633.jpg

2007WDW-629.jpg

2007WDW-617.jpg

2007WDW-623.jpg

2007WDW-620.jpg

Give me about a month and I'll have some fisheye Disneyland photos for ya. :thumbsup2

since there aren't any threads i am guessing not( tokina 10-17) but wondering if there is any other possibility? i remember some contraption with filters in a little frame type thing but not sure the details of that or if it would apply for a cp.
Thanks

Nope. Any other questions? ;)

The problem is that it's so wide that the CP would cause pretty serious vignetting. Presumably you could hold a much larger CP over it but I'm not sure how it would affect the light rays coming in the side at a much steeper angle.

Usually the fisheyes have a drop-in filter in the rear - my Zenitar came with four of them (clear, and IIRC red, green, and blue)... but I don't think the Tokina has anything like that, since you are unlikely to need color filters on a digital SLR.

well thanks for ruining my day Groucho:lmao: ;) really that makes sense, maybe i'll try my 72mm and see what happens.
i really need to get out and shoot with that thing...hopefully this weekend since the rain is due to stop by then

Another thing to consider is that the effect of the CP will be different from one side of your image to the next because a fisheye covers so large of an area. I even notice the effect being different at 18mm, so something like 10mm might look a little strange. Then again, in creative ways it could make a very interesting shot.

Kevin

if it turns out bad, i'll just say it was my "creative interpretation" of the scene:rotfl2:

even if you had threads or held up a massive CP, the problem with any ultra-wide (and it would be especially noticeable on a fisheye) is the angle at which the light is entering the lens. on a 1.6x crop/reach/whatever sensor, you will start to see dark and light banding across the sky from about 15mm or so.

ok thanks btw oblio love the baby photo avatar( if that's the right word)! what a cutie

thanks, jan! yeah Kalen's expression was priceless. everyone now calls him Kalenfucious and asks him for words of wisdom. i reckon he's giving great advice but we just don't understand him...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter