Whispering Canyon...solo?

YawningDodo

DIS Veteran
Howdy howdy howdy

As I near the two-months-out mark for my upcoming solo trip, I have begun to look at restaurants that are not currently on my ADR schedule but could make the list of last minute options if I find I have time to sneak another table service meal in. I'm trying to decide whether WC will be on that list. The antics sound fun and the menu appeals to me, but I'm concerned that as a solo diner it might be less fun/more awkward to play off of the server than if I had someone with me. Has anyone done this solo? Or have any thoughts on it from experience otherwise? I heard that they dimmed down the antics a while ago, but that they'd (mostly) brought it back again.

Last edited:
I went there solo for lunch when I was staying at Wilderness Lodge. The waiter definitely made an attempt to make conversation with me, but it wasn't like at 50s Prime Time where the wait staff are playing roles and will chastise you for elbows on the table or not eating your vegatables (or at least that's what they did the last time I was there).

There was a table near me with two kids and their parents. I needed ketchup, which I got, but when the time came for me to delivery the ketchup to another table I asked if the kids could help, which they did. The kids got a kick out of it.

The day I was there, the ketchup thing was the only "antic" going on. This was summer 2018.

My turkey sandwich was OK but the one I got at Gaston's in the Magic Kingdom was similar and better.

I was able to walk in for lunch. No ADR required. I did not try for any other meal.

If you are planning to take Disney transportation from Magic Kingdom to get there - everybody assumes they should take the boat, but the bus runs more frequently and is a faster ride.

I have never been solo (usually a party of 8) but the 2 times I have eaten there I have noticed a couple of solo people and they seemed to be having a good time. Don't ever drop a place because your alone. You could be missing a great time. The only time I have ever seen a situation that could be embarrassing was Hoop De Doo Revue and this was a dozen years ago. There were 2 people dining alone and the actor tried to get them to eat together and told them that when they as he put it :Got Hitched: they had to come back, they both laughed I would have died.

I went there solo for lunch when I was staying at Wilderness Lodge. The waiter definitely made an attempt to make conversation with me, but it wasn't like at 50s Prime Time where the wait staff are playing roles and will chastise you for elbows on the table or not eating your vegatables (or at least that's what they did the last time I was there).

There was a table near me with two kids and their parents. I needed ketchup, which I got, but when the time came for me to delivery the ketchup to another table I asked if the kids could help, which they did. The kids got a kick out of it.

The day I was there, the ketchup thing was the only "antic" going on. This was summer 2018.

My turkey sandwich was OK but the one I got at Gaston's in the Magic Kingdom was similar and better.

I was able to walk in for lunch. No ADR required. I did not try for any other meal.

If you are planning to take Disney transportation from Magic Kingdom to get there - everybody assumes they should take the boat, but the bus runs more frequently and is a faster ride.
Good point about the boat--I'm not sure where I'll be coming from if I go out to WL for this; I may do it for breakfast before a late start at MK one day, which could mean taking the Skyliner to DHS from AoA and then just a bus to WL--or a bus to MK and then to WL from there. I enjoyed the boat when we took it from MK to get to HDDR, but it did take longer than I'd expected. I'm hoping there's more to it now than there was in 2018--wasn't that when they were officially toning it down for volume?

I have never been solo (usually a party of 8) but the 2 times I have eaten there I have noticed a couple of solo people and they seemed to be having a good time. Don't ever drop a place because your alone. You could be missing a great time. The only time I have ever seen a situation that could be embarrassing was Hoop De Doo Revue and this was a dozen years ago. There were 2 people dining alone and the actor tried to get them to eat together and told them that when they as he put it :Got Hitched: they had to come back, they both laughed I would have died.
Oof, yeah, I would not be into that. Didn't see anything that embarrassing when we did HDDR in 2015...and it's actually on my list of distant maybes (I don't want to commit the money ahead of time and don't expect to get a HDDR reservation on short notice, but I might check just in case). Glad to hear solos seem to have a good time at WC!

I went there solo! I was in the area for business and my husband was meeting me for a long weekend after at the Wilderness lodge. His flight was delayed by a huge storm.

I was hungry and did not want to go out in the storm. I had an absolutely blast. My server occasionally sat with me. When my husband called to give me an update she held up my phone and had everyone yell hello.

It was awesome! Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter