Who do I need to talk to about totally changing ROLES?

Soarin08

DIS Veteran
Ugh.... vent. I started the CP on Jan. 21st and really like it, but.... I didn't come to WDW to continue serving people food and cleaning tables (I'm in QSFB). I came here to do something different; in fact, I specifically told my interview person I did not want QSFB since I'd been doing it already for two years, but guess what I got stuck with? Yup, QSFB. One of my roommates and I (she's in Merchandise and worked in that for nearly two years as well back home) both want to transfer to totally different roles (preferably Attractions) if at all possible. Can this be done? Who do we need to talk to about this?

TIA.

Ugh.... vent. I started the CP on Jan. 21st and really like it, but.... I didn't come to WDW to continue serving people food and cleaning tables (I'm in QSFB). I came here to do something different; in fact, I specifically told my interview person I did not want QSFB since I'd been doing it already for two years, but guess what I got stuck with? Yup, QSFB. One of my roommates and I (she's in Merchandise and worked in that for nearly two years as well back home) both want to transfer to totally different roles (preferably Attractions) if at all possible. Can this be done? Who do we need to talk to about this?

TIA.

It's hard to switch roles. I had asked about it and it was impossible. You can talk to your manager and let them know, but changing your role while on the CP is usually frowned upon.

Unfortunately it can be really hard to change roles. You can try asking, but it usually doesn't happen.

Ok, then. But is changing locations easier?

It usually requires the approval of the managers of both areas. And Management tends to shy away from it because it incurrs extra labour costs (Training, etc.), as well as a whole slurry of Contract- and Union-related issues.

Try speaking with your Cast Services Manager (there should be a list of them somewhere on The Hub).

Why did you come all the way down if you knew you were going to do QSF&B? Didn't you have to sign / agree to your acceptance letter that would have told you that you would be in QSF&B? If you did then you didn't get stuck in it you agreed to it.

Ok, then. But is changing locations easier?

I did my college program last spring in full service F&B. I was really happy with my role, but EXTREMELY disappointed with my location as the restaurant had about 12 tables, catered to a much older crowd, and was not busy at all. I had really imagined I would be working at character dining. I gave it a couple weeks, and then went to my manager explaining why I was unhappy at that location. Eventually I arranged a meeting with my cast services manager and talked to her about it as well. It was a process with a LOT of meetings, but about a month into my program I was able to transfer to character dining for the remainder of my program, and I LOVED it! :cool1: It is rare to be moved; one of my roommates worked QSFB at EPCOT and was unhappy, but she was never moved out of QSFB, just to an ice cream shop instead which she liked better. I would say it is worth a try to set up some meetings, its not always good news but just keep trying. Good luck!

Hate to be a bearer of bad news here.... but there is no way they will change your role. I read the other post saying someone had managed to get their location switched, but I wouldn't count on that either.

I had a pretty bad experience at my CP with a horrible trainer/co-worker, and I tried everything. When I talked to one of the supervisors, he told me he would see what he could do, never got back in touch with me, and when I contacted him again about a week later he had no idea who I was. It really sucked because I have such a huge love for Disney, and due to one co-worker the whole experience was just shot. But try to stick it out, see if the situation improves. I quit and now regret it.

Was reading this thread with interest since my daughter is ready to come home. It's been one thing after another. She is at Disneyland and this is the second month in a row where she hasn't had enough hours to even cover rent, let alone groceries. Apparently the "30 hour min." doesn't apply to Disneyland. I cannot afford to cover her $300 - 400 a month ($200 for food, the other for rent shortage) each month. I am not paying for the "privilege" of her working for Disney!

She is in QSFB as well and she was nervous. I told her, "Oh don't worry! It's not like McD's - they will TRAIN you!" yeah - that didn't happen. She has been thrown into QS food places with no training at all and then verbally lashed when something goes wrong. She finally called a manager who never even returned her calls. The majority of the cast members she has worked with have been rude and unhelpful in training. So much for the Disney magic.

Her apartment is another issue. The bathroom was leaking their first week there. It is 8 weeks later and it has JUST been fixed. They sealed the bathroom for over 3 weeks with plastic and lovely labels that read" WARNING BIOHAZARD (!!!!!!) There was mold and they were told to use the half bath (which was fine) and share the shower until it was fixed. 4 girls - 1 shower is not acceptable when they are each paying $630 a month for rent! Every week they promised it would be fixed and of course, every week, it was not.

There is underage drinking and smoking going on, late night parties on the deck right outside her bedroom. And this week? The icing on the cake? Her roommate lost her paycheck. This roommate likes to get the mail but then "forgets" where she has placed the mail. Ironically, Disney had me overnight express a check, the first week of Jan., so she could have direct deposit, which has not happened yet!

I am completely disappointed in the management of the program at Disneyland and I've been told they will not be extended it after this semester. I've heard that the WDW program is run much better but who knows. It seems that any truth spoken is seen as negative rather than the facts. Parents and students should have both sides so they can make informed decisions.

Even if she had gotten Attractions like she wanted, I wouldn't be able to keep helping her financially so that she can work for Disney. I sure hope this is the exception, rather than the norm but I know a lot of kids have dropped out of the program already at Disneyland.

Was reading this thread with interest since my daughter is ready to come home. It's been one thing after another. She is at Disneyland and this is the second month in a row where she hasn't had enough hours to even cover rent, let alone groceries. Apparently the "30 hour min." doesn't apply to Disneyland. I cannot afford to cover her $300 - 400 a month ($200 for food, the other for rent shortage) each month. I am not paying for the "privilege" of her working for Disney!

She is in QSFB as well and she was nervous. I told her, "Oh don't worry! It's not like McD's - they will TRAIN you!" yeah - that didn't happen. She has been thrown into QS food places with no training at all and then verbally lashed when something goes wrong. She finally called a manager who never even returned her calls. The majority of the cast members she has worked with have been rude and unhelpful in training. So much for the Disney magic.

Her apartment is another issue. The bathroom was leaking their first week there. It is 8 weeks later and it has JUST been fixed. They sealed the bathroom for over 3 weeks with plastic and lovely labels that read" WARNING BIOHAZARD (!!!!!!) There was mold and they were told to use the half bath (which was fine) and share the shower until it was fixed. 4 girls - 1 shower is not acceptable when they are each paying $630 a month for rent! Every week they promised it would be fixed and of course, every week, it was not.

There is underage drinking and smoking going on, late night parties on the deck right outside her bedroom. And this week? The icing on the cake? Her roommate lost her paycheck. This roommate likes to get the mail but then "forgets" where she has placed the mail. Ironically, Disney had me overnight express a check, the first week of Jan., so she could have direct deposit, which has not happened yet!

I am completely disappointed in the management of the program at Disneyland and I've been told they will not be extended it after this semester. I've heard that the WDW program is run much better but who knows. It seems that any truth spoken is seen as negative rather than the facts. Parents and students should have both sides so they can make informed decisions.

Even if she had gotten Attractions like she wanted, I wouldn't be able to keep helping her financially so that she can work for Disney. I sure hope this is the exception, rather than the norm but I know a lot of kids have dropped out of the program already at Disneyland.

I hate to say it, but it's not just the Disneyland program. You will see this kind of situation happen during the WDW program as well. Not so much with the hours... I always had enough to cover rent and food. But as far the her fellow CMs and the apartment goes... I had similar issues at Disney World. Ultimately, I did come home before my program ended. At the time I felt totally frantic and just felt like I had to get out and go home... but now I do regret it. I'm still a huge Disney fan, and Disney World is still my favorite place in the world.

But as far as the hours go, and any specific problems she is having with her manager... she needs to talk to someone about that. I wish I had done that. I tried a couple managers, and when they were extremely unhelpful, I gave up and came home. If her manager doesn't respond, she should take it up with their manager. What does she have to lose? It may ruffle a few people's feathers, but she's considering come home anyways. And maybe it will get her in a better situation.

It's true, we don't have the 30 hour minimum for CPers here at DLR (in the case of QSF&B, their contract only states that CPers "will be scheduled based on business needs and availability of the College Program employee").

However, as a DLR CPer, she does have artificially inflated seniority. I would have her check the schedule books. If people who are below her in Seniority (anyone with a Seniority Date later than 16 April 2006 - there's a Seniority Book available near where the schedules are posted that list everyone's Seniority Date) are getting more hours than her, have her contact the Park Food & Beverage Union at the following address (it's only a little bit south of the CP Apartments)

Unite HERE Local 50
527 South Harbor Boulevard
Anaheim, California 92805
(714) 502-0220

As to the rest of it...yea. The DLR CP had a lot of problems from what I've heard with partying and whatnot.

And the way other CMs are treating her...that has something to do with the people they hire into F&B, but also a lot to do with the current situation vis-a-vis the DLR CP. You know it's bad when the company decides not to put CPers Schools on their nametags, for their (CPers) own protection.

I did my college program last spring in full service F&B. I was really happy with my role, but EXTREMELY disappointed with my location as the restaurant had about 12 tables, catered to a much older crowd, and was not busy at all. I had really imagined I would be working at character dining. I gave it a couple weeks, and then went to my manager explaining why I was unhappy at that location. Eventually I arranged a meeting with my cast services manager and talked to her about it as well. It was a process with a LOT of meetings, but about a month into my program I was able to transfer to character dining for the remainder of my program, and I LOVED it! :cool1: It is rare to be moved; one of my roommates worked QSFB at EPCOT and was unhappy, but she was never moved out of QSFB, just to an ice cream shop instead which she liked better. I would say it is worth a try to set up some meetings, its not always good news but just keep trying. Good luck!

Emily, which restaurant were you stationed at initially?

Emily, which restaurant were you stationed at initially?

I started at the Turf Club at Saratoga Springs. Everyone I worked with was really nice, and I cannot thank my manager enough for putting in my name for a transfer to 'Ohana. The restaurant was just too small, and I felt like I was not getting the most out of my work experience. I did get the chance to work the QSFB location at Saratoga a couple of days a week before my transfer, which I enjoyed a lot more because it kept me busy. However, I LOVED working at 'Ohana!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter