Who Framed Roger Rabbit no longer licensed by Disney.

jparc1212@verizon.co

Earning My Ears
I was at Art of Disney in Disney Springs this morning and was going to order the Jessica Rabbit Print, "SURF'S UP" but was informed, Disney no longer has the licensing rights to anything connected to "WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT", so they are only able to sell what they have in stock., once it is gone, it's gone. The manager said he did not know if they would be able to obtain the rights again. The licensing contract ended, June 22, 2023.

I was at Art of Disney in Disney Springs this morning and was going to order the Jessica Rabbit Print, "SURF'S UP" but was informed, Disney no longer has the licensing rights to anything connected to "WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT", so they are only able to sell what they have in stock., once it is gone, it's gone. The manager said he did not know if they would be able to obtain the rights again. The licensing contract ended, June 22, 2023.

That doesn't make sense.
They purchased the film rights.
They kept merchandising rights

This is the only thing I could find and it looks like they retain the film ownership but lose everything else unless they renegotiate a deal with the original book author. Looks like a bunch of movies are coming up on the 35 year limit.

https://theplaylist.net/studios-ip-rights-terminator-beetlejuice-roger-rabbit-20191003/
That article brings up an interesting point: "And if folks like Hurd and Gary K. Wolf, the author behind the book that inspired ‘Roger Rabbit,’ win their battles, it could signal a complete overhaul over how studios choose which IP to license and how they go about adapting it for the big screen. If the rights aren’t perpetual, then is it in the company’s best interests to keep paying large sums of money for IP?"

In other words, could film companies become more hesitant to option books for movies if they won't have permanent rights to those movies and associated merchandise? Could this exacerbate the whole "Let's milk our existing IP for all it's worth instead of developing new ideas" trend? :sad1:

That article brings up an interesting point: "And if folks like Hurd and Gary K. Wolf, the author behind the book that inspired ‘Roger Rabbit,’ win their battles, it could signal a complete overhaul over how studios choose which IP to license and how they go about adapting it for the big screen. If the rights aren’t perpetual, then is it in the company’s best interests to keep paying large sums of money for IP?"

In other words, could film companies become more hesitant to option books for movies if they won't have permanent rights to those movies and associated merchandise? Could this exacerbate the whole "Let's milk our existing IP for all it's worth instead of developing new ideas" trend? :sad1:
That was my first thought!
Studios will be reluctant to buy any new IP, either they buy the whole thing outright (Marvel, SW) or they don't make it at all. And that means more variations of the same old. same old..which is pretty much what we have today, at least with some studios.

Last edited:

In other words, could film companies become more hesitant to option books for movies if they won't have permanent rights to those movies and associated merchandise?
I would think the film (or should we say movie these days since nobody uses actual film) companies weigh the licensing terms when they option books. Permanent rights would almost certainly cost more than limited term rights.

I would think the film (or should we say movie these days since nobody uses actual film)
Hey, are you calling Christopher Nolan a "nobody"?? 😁

He even worked with Kodak to make a new type of film (large-format B&W) for "Oppenheimer" so that both the color and B&W segments will look fantastic in IMAX.

Just had a horrible thought. Now I'm wondering if NBC would be one of these IPs in 5 years.:worried:

Last edited:
This makes more sense to why they pulled the Prop documentary/show off disney+ then! they could have just pulled the RR episode though

I wonder if this means marvel can claw back spider man from Sony after 35 years?
That is a great question. And speaking of...does it have any impact on the "forever" clause in Universal's use of Marvel in their parks?

That is a great question. And speaking of...does it have any impact on the "forever" clause in Universal's use of Marvel in their parks?
That I would doubt because Disney still owns the copyright. They’re just allowing someone else to use it. But maybe not.

Especially because it is under continuous use unlike one film. These studios still own the films they made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter