Who has made the move to FL?

Lived in Miami my whole life, up until last year when my DH took a contracted job and we moved to Maryland. I use to hate the heat but I can honestly say the LACK of sun during this 6 month winter has driven me a bit bananas.

Yes, Florida has some backwater small towns. However, you will find those are few and far between. The developers are stretching out communities and the highways constantly being extended to reach places. Compared to our current residence, most parts of Florida will be newer, less expensive, and with access to a lot of activities. There is a reason the 'snowbirds' come down on the months that they do.

We are already planning our way back down to Florida in the next year. Permanently. These state taxes are killer. And any money we save from my husbands temporary higher salary is being thrown into Florida vacation plans. Also, I miss the food. Florida has some of the best food!

How much are property taxes in FL?!
I think it would be nice to have a small home or condo in FL but I wouldn’t want to live there full time. Is that an option?
It’s funny that you’re in CO and thinking of leaving bc for my retirement my ideal split would be FL and somewhere out west like Wyoming, Idaho, etc.

I love CO...love, love, love it!! And I'm from TX originally. CO summers are to die for. I can't even begin to describe how wonderful the summers here are. In an ideal world, where money was no object, I'd spend part of the year in FL and part in CO. But money is an issue an we can only afford one residence, at this point, and I think warmer temps are better for my dd, who is ill. The cold is really hard on her joints. Once dh & I are in a position to split our year, I'd love to buy a small place here in CO to spend the summers at. Wyoming and Idaho are probably cheaper than CO but living close to Denver provides a lot of opportunities.

I think it would be nice to have a small home or condo in FL but I wouldn’t want to live there full time. Is that an option?
It’s funny that you’re in CO and thinking of leaving bc for my retirement my ideal split would be FL and somewhere out west like Wyoming, Idaho, etc.

Property taxes vary greatly by county. For example, our county just passed a referendum that adds 1% on our property tax to help give extra funding to the schools. We've been passing that since the recession started and because of it have some great well funded schools, but our property taxes are higher than other areas.

If you look at zillow or other places that list houses for sale, usually if you scroll down far enough it will give you estimates of what the taxes are in that area.

What does anyone think of Pensacola? We visited there and I didn't care for it. We do like really like Navarre, but I just don't like the 98 is the main street to use and the traffic build up. Does anyone have thoughts on Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Niceville?

What does anyone think of Pensacola? We visited there and I didn't care for it. We do like really like Navarre, but I just don't like the 98 is the main street to use and the traffic build up. Does anyone have thoughts on Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Niceville?

Paging @tink1970

I think she maybe lives somewhere close to these areas :)

Paging @tink1970

I think she maybe lives somewhere close to these areas :)

Sorry, just got back from Edinburgh this afternoon!

I've lived in P'cola for almost 17 years now.

I'll be honest, when I was a working full time single mom in the military and after I didn't enjoy it but now that I'm staying at home I've found that this is a wonderful community. There are definitely nice areas and not so nice areas but I've found that it's been a great place to raise my child, volunteer and try to figure out who I am (as a not working person). The beaches are gorgeous, the traffic negligible (well unless you're headed to the beach on a beautiful sunny afternoon!) and there are lots of quirky, historical places that sort of sneak up on you if you look (the corner near where I get my hair done has a plaque commemorating Teddy Roosevelt staying near the spot prior to sailing to the Spanish American War, President Jackson spent time here (hence the name of one of our most expensive restaurants and my street name, the plaque on Palafox [our tiny downtown main street] recognizing sit ins from the 60s).

Like most large towns/small cities, there is definitely "old Pensacola" society and as a newcomer I'm not invited to hang with them :) That said, if you're a parade fan, we seem to have one through downtown almost every month (Mardi Gras, Christmas, MLK, Veterans Day...). There is an active running and triathalon community (oh! and golf, sailing and fishing of course!), lots of philanthropy (largest IMPACT 100 in the world, very busy Habitat for Humanity), more tolerance than expected for LGBTQ issues, and a strong community of faith. Economically, we struggle but Quint Studer and some other people of vision have brought more businesses here over the past decade and although the BP Oil Spill and Ivan had an effect, we are slowly bouncing back.

Wow...lot of words but basically when DH and I discuss retiring it's hard for us to leave our little house by the bay and pull up the roots that have grown here. Like most small cities, it has problems but I have met some wonderful people and been part of amazing organizations so can't see myself leaving anytime soon.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Sorry, just got back from Edinburgh this afternoon!

I've lived in P'cola for almost 17 years now.

I'll be honest, when I was a working full time single mom in the military and after I didn't enjoy it but now that I'm staying at home I've found that this is a wonderful community. There are definitely nice areas and not so nice areas but I've found that it's been a great place to raise my child, volunteer and try to figure out who I am (as a not working person). The beaches are gorgeous, the traffic negligible (well unless you're headed to the beach on a beautiful sunny afternoon!) and there are lots of quirky, historical places that sort of sneak up on you if you look (the corner near where I get my hair done has a plaque commemorating Teddy Roosevelt staying near the spot prior to sailing to the Spanish American War, President Jackson spent time here (hence the name of one of our most expensive restaurants and my street name, the plaque on Palafox [our tiny downtown main street] recognizing sit ins from the 60s).

Like most large towns/small cities, there is definitely "old Pensacola" society and as a newcomer I'm not invited to hang with them :) That said, if you're a parade fan, we seem to have one through downtown almost every month (Mardi Gras, Christmas, MLK, Veterans Day...). There is an active running and triathalon community (oh! and golf, sailing and fishing of course!), lots of philanthropy (largest IMPACT 100 in the world, very busy Habitat for Humanity), more tolerance than expected for LGBTQ issues, and a strong community of faith. Economically, we struggle but Quint Studer and some other people of vision have brought more businesses here over the past decade and although the BP Oil Spill and Ivan had an effect, we are slowly bouncing back.

Wow...lot of words but basically when DH and I discuss retiring it's hard for us to leave our little house by the bay and pull up the roots that have grown here. Like most small cities, it has problems but I have met some wonderful people and been part of amazing organizations so can't see myself leaving anytime soon.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Wow thanks! DH and I really want to check out more places, he mentioned Destin area. Our interests are about good opportunities for kids for the most part, and things to do. I am looking for a large town with things to do, stores, airport, college not too far, etc. Warm weather is another factor!

Wow thanks! DH and I really want to check out more places, he mentioned Destin area. Our interests are about good opportunities for kids for the most part, and things to do. I am looking for a large town with things to do, stores, airport, college not too far, etc. Warm weather is another factor!

My brother lives in an area north of Pensacola. It's been a good place for them to raise my nephew. There is a college in the area, too and shopping, etc.- University if West Florida

My nephew has been in private school and will graduate this year. My sis in law works in Pensacola schools. She's worked in some of the lower performing city schools and they chose private school for our nephew.

Last edited:
Taxes, yikes!!!! We live in southwestern Pa. where taxes are CRAZY!!! We are more bothered by the gas tax(people who visit us all suffer from gas price shock) than property and school, although they are kind of high too. We live with it as we love our area. I'm not sure what my parents pay in Florida but I do believe they pay less although maybe its a different rate for people in retirement communities, not sure. I do know that gas prices are a lot better.

Wow thanks! DH and I really want to check out more places, he mentioned Destin area. Our interests are about good opportunities for kids for the most part, and things to do. I am looking for a large town with things to do, stores, airport, college not too far, etc. Warm weather is another factor

Destin is a very nice area-they still have gorgeous beaches, have good shopping and Okaloosa County schools are definitely better than Escambia County's. The traffic is worse, especially Mar-Oct. Trade offs :)

My nephew has been in private school and will graduate this year. My sis in law works in Pensacola schools. She's worked in some of the lower performing city schools and they chose private school for our nephew.

I volunteer in several of the schools here-elementary, middle and high school. My DD attended private school through middle school and now attends a public high school with the IB program. Escambia schools aren't the best but there is definitely a commitment to improvement and she has done well in the IB program. That said if she had wanted to attend private school I would have been fine with that. It really depends on the student for sure!

Someday do plan to move back but the pay for my husband's job is so much less than the area of NEPA where we live now that it probably won't be back till closer to retirement but I plan to look within 1-1.5 hours of Orlando most likely. I can't wait because I have developed a chronic pain condition that really gices me a rough time with cold weather.

G

Ugh, I live in NEPA too! The weather is just killing me right now. DH and I joke about moving south all the time. My family has always had homes in the Daytona Beach area. I have been watching property values there for the past 7 or so years and they have climbed a nice amount since the market dropped out (if you already own) if you are buying then that stinks. Daytona itself is trying to recover. It got better when we traveled there from 2011-2015. We haven't been back to the area since then. So I can't compare. Port Orange seemed like the "nicer" area. I really don't know what the industry is there except for tourism and the colleges.

Taxes, yikes!!!! We live in southwestern Pa. where taxes are CRAZY!!! We are more bothered by the gas tax(people who visit us all suffer from gas price shock) than property and school, although they are kind of high too. .

oh the PA gas tax :rolleyes1 Don't you know they are using it to fix the roads, hardy har har. When I was in college I worked in NY and would try to fill up before I went north of the border from PA on weekends because gas was so much more in NY, now its a bargin.

I am enjoying the thread. We are probably 10 years from being able to consider a move south, but this is a great discussion of things to look for no matter where you move. I would really just like to be able to use the outside of my home more then 3-4 months a year.

Destin is a very nice area-they still have gorgeous beaches, have good shopping and Okaloosa County schools are definitely better than Escambia County's. The traffic is worse, especially Mar-Oct. Trade offs :)

I volunteer in several of the schools here-elementary, middle and high school. My DD attended private school through middle school and now attends a public high school with the IB program. Escambia schools aren't the best but there is definitely a commitment to improvement and she has done well in the IB program. That said if she had wanted to attend private school I would have been fine with that. It really depends on the student for sure!

What sort of companies are in the Pensacola area? My dh is in IT. Really has to be in an area with strong job growth and in the business sector.

Also, what is the IB program? You may have mentioned it earlier in the thread and I missed it.

What sort of companies are in the Pensacola area? My dh is in IT. Really has to be in an area with strong job growth and in the business sector.

Also, what is the IB program? You may have mentioned it earlier in the thread and I missed it.

Wow, I'm not 100% sure...I know there are 3 hospitals plus a VA clinic and Naval Hospital and a very large NFCU (navy federal credit union) call center (it's like huge, btw...) and of course the military. This article is a little out of date (don't think it mentions NFCU) but gives some insight: https://www.citytowninfo.com/places/florida/pensacola/work

IB is short for the International Baccalaueate program and here is a link-https://blog.prepscholar.com/what-is-ib-international-baccalaureate-program

The author wrote it up in 2015 and didn't mention a couple of other major parts of the program-CAS (community service project of 100 hours minimum) and EE (extended essay-a very long research paper). If a child completes the IB program they are qualified (assuming they have the minimum sat/act/gpa scores) for the more extensive Florida Bright Futures Scholarship (this can be attained without participating in IB, however).

It's a quite rigorous program which is good for a certain type of student. I've spent years trying to talk DD out of it TBH. It's quite stressful and I don't think that all students (including my DD) get the "full" experience of high school since it's so encompassing. That said, DD is doing fairly well in the program and is determined to see it through. At her school (Pensacola High School) it's a "school within a school" so it's in an economically depressed area and there are hundreds of "traditional students" in the high school as well. It's very diverse (she has friends who are first generation from Syria, Senegal, India and other places) and most of the best and brightest (not all definitely but a large percentage) from Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties attend this program. Interestingly, the program can cost students thousands of dollars to attend in other countries (and maybe in the US?) but is free here.

If you have any questions about Pensacola or the Panhandle, please ask. I'm clearly no expert but will answer anything to the best of my abiity. Who knows, maybe you'll decide to come visit :)

Ugh, I live in NEPA too! The weather is just killing me right now. DH and I joke about moving south all the time. My family has always had homes in the Daytona Beach area. I have been watching property values there for the past 7 or so years and they have climbed a nice amount since the market dropped out (if you already own) if you are buying then that stinks. Daytona itself is trying to recover. It got better when we traveled there from 2011-2015. We haven't been back to the area since then. So I can't compare. Port Orange seemed like the "nicer" area. I really don't know what the industry is there except for tourism and the colleges.

oh the PA gas tax :rolleyes1 Don't you know they are using it to fix the roads, hardy har har. When I was in college I worked in NY and would try to fill up before I went north of the border from PA on weekends because gas was so much more in NY, now its a bargin.

I am enjoying the thread. We are probably 10 years from being able to consider a move south, but this is a great discussion of things to look for no matter where you move. I would really just like to be able to use the outside of my home more then 3-4 months a year.
You said a mouthful in that last sentence. We had snow on Easter. If I could manage, I would move today!

Wow, I'm not 100% sure...I know there are 3 hospitals plus a VA clinic and Naval Hospital and a very large NFCU (navy federal credit union) call center (it's like huge, btw...) and of course the military. This article is a little out of date (don't think it mentions NFCU) but gives some insight: https://www.citytowninfo.com/places/florida/pensacola/work

IB is short for the International Baccalaueate program and here is a link-https://blog.prepscholar.com/what-is-ib-international-baccalaureate-program

The author wrote it up in 2015 and didn't mention a couple of other major parts of the program-CAS (community service project of 100 hours minimum) and EE (extended essay-a very long research paper). If a child completes the IB program they are qualified (assuming they have the minimum sat/act/gpa scores) for the more extensive Florida Bright Futures Scholarship (this can be attained without participating in IB, however).

It's a quite rigorous program which is good for a certain type of student. I've spent years trying to talk DD out of it TBH. It's quite stressful and I don't think that all students (including my DD) get the "full" experience of high school since it's so encompassing. That said, DD is doing fairly well in the program and is determined to see it through. At her school (Pensacola High School) it's a "school within a school" so it's in an economically depressed area and there are hundreds of "traditional students" in the high school as well. It's very diverse (she has friends who are first generation from Syria, Senegal, India and other places) and most of the best and brightest (not all definitely but a large percentage) from Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties attend this program. Interestingly, the program can cost students thousands of dollars to attend in other countries (and maybe in the US?) but is free here.

If you have any questions about Pensacola or the Panhandle, please ask. I'm clearly no expert but will answer anything to the best of my abiity. Who knows, maybe you'll decide to come visit :)

Thanks Tink! Gonna look more into Pensacola :)

I have heard of the IB program now that you spelled it out. Seems like such a great opportunity for the right kids. It would not be good for either of my dd's but I could maybe see one of my son's finding that a good fit.

We'll be in FL next week visiting a few places but we won't make it up to the Panhandle. That will need to be a separate trip all on it's own. I haven't been there since I was a teen :)

I moved to Florida from the mid west. I LOVE it here in Florida. I would not ever consider moving back. I think the prices for the cost of living all equal out. I am 2 hours away from Disney and the beach. I do not mind the summers here. It was just as hot and humid where I moved from. It just is a longer season here. I do not miss the cold, ice or snow. Do your home work before you make the move. Florida has some very pretty hilly areas. I prefer the water/beach. Good luck with your decision.
Tracy

We’ve been talking about moving from Michigan to Florida. Today, we have an inch of snow and it’s still snowing, it’s 29 degrees. We just turned 62 and 60, and retiring soon(I’m in healthcare and my partner is in retail) and hate the winters here because they’re so long. We don’t have any kids, I don’t have any family, my partners family is here. Here in Michigan we have some of the highest car insurance. Here we pay more to heat our homes then using AC, so it’s probably about the same, you’re either paying for one or the other. I would love to work at Disney, this would be my dream retirement job. We own a home, which we could sell and would probably rent an apartment. We’re about ready to sell the house, pack things up and move us and our dogs and cats to Florida. Not sure where we’d move in Florida though. I have a friend who lives in Punta Gorda in the winter.

Planning to move to the SW Orlando area in 3-4 years when I retire. Currently have a lake house for sale and will use the proceeds to buy a house in FL. Use it for vacations for now, put it on a rental program when we are not there.

Tired of snow and cold, and work is frustrating. Looking forward to a new chapter.

We’ve been talking about moving from Michigan to Florida. Today, we have an inch of snow and it’s still snowing, it’s 29 degrees. We just turned 62 and 60, and retiring soon(I’m in healthcare and my partner is in retail) and hate the winters here because they’re so long. We don’t have any kids, I don’t have any family, my partners family is here. Here in Michigan we have some of the highest car insurance. Here we pay more to heat our homes then using AC, so it’s probably about the same, you’re either paying for one or the other. I would love to work at Disney, this would be my dream retirement job. We own a home, which we could sell and would probably rent an apartment. We’re about ready to sell the house, pack things up and move us and our dogs and cats to Florida. Not sure where we’d move in Florida though. I have a friend who lives in Punta Gorda in the winter.
A now retired coworker of mine swore she would never sell her CT home. The next month after I spoke with her, she and her husband went to visit friends in Punta Gorda, came home, sold their house, and went right back. They live in a retirement community that is very active. She is so happy they made the move and raves about Punta Gorda.

My husband's employer may have an opening in Florida in the next couple years. I have been stalking realtor.com and have fallen in love with the Weeki Wachee area. If anyone lives by there I'd love to hear about what you like/dislike about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts