Why did you pick out the names you used for your children?

First daughter is named after a movie DH & I saw on our first date& I jokingly said “ when we get married, we’ll name our first daughter P”. Lo & behold; we did get married & we did give her that name! It also happened to go very well with our last name. Her middle name is my middle name, which is a family name.
Our second daughter’s name is a variation of both of our mothers’ names & our son’s name is one we liked & his middle name is my father’s first name.
One of my daughters definitely did not follow suit by using family names. She gave her second son a normal first name, but let her goofy husband choose his middle name. He chose the name “ Hawk”! 😳 I am not a fan of strange names, but I sure do love that baby boy!

All first born sons in our family tend to have their father's name as their middle name.

All first born daughters have either Maria/Marie to honur my great-great-great-grandmother.

I'm named after (my first name) where I was conceived :rolleyes1

Just had our first and picking names was quite the thing to do. We each made a list separately and then went through which we liked and didn't like. At the end, we had 3-4 contenders for the first name. Our rule was that the first name should be uniquely our son's whereas his middle name could be a namesake.

Strange but when I was 16 yrs old I was standing in the street talking to a girl I’d recently met who was the friend of a friend. It dawned on me right then and there that she had one of the most beautiful names I’d ever heard, and I always said that if I had a daughter, that would be her name. And it is! She also has my mother’s name as her middle name.

My favorite boy’s name was too similar to my daughter’s name, and they were twins. I didn’t want similar names for them, so that name was out. There was another name I liked but DH hated it. We wound up choosing a beautiful, classic name for him along with DH’s name as his middle name. (Though DS always uses the shorter form of his name.)

I wish I’d thought of giving them my maiden name as their middle names. It might’ve made things a little confusing, though, so it’s probably just as well we didn’t.

We were looking through a baby book and liked the name. It wasn’t popular back then but has since exploded.
That is true, not only at the time your DD was born but for literally decades prior. My great-grandmother had that name and my whole life, the only people I'd ever heard of with it were elderly. It must have had it's first round of popularity between 1890 and 1920. Then the mid-2000's hit and bang - it's been in the top 20 English-language names worldwide ever since.

They’re just names we like that fit the criteria of working with the last name and not being trendy, overly popular, or so obscure or difficult to spell/pronounce as to cause confusion. We actually have more names picked than children — 3 boys names and 3 girls names. We just move down the list as needed.

:laughing: That reminds me of a CB thread once where sisters-in-law were locked in a death-match over a daughter's name that one claimed the other "stole" from her. I certainly hope you stopped speaking to your cousin immediately and got the entire rest of your family embroiled in the drama. Apparently that's how these things are done. ;) BTW, Natalie Isabel is an absolutely lovely name. :flower3:
If it’s the same thread I’m thinking of it was the middle name Marie. Only the most popular middle name throughout all of human history! :lmao: (I say this as someone with the middle name Marie.)

That is true, not only at the time your DD was born but for literally decades prior. My great-grandmother had that name and my whole life, the only people I'd ever heard of with it were elderly. It must have had it's first round of popularity between 1890 and 1920. Then the mid-2000's hit and bang - it's been in the top 20 English-language names worldwide ever since.

She was born in 2000.

Funny story..

I had my usual obgyn appointment in the morning and everything was fine. Two weeks away was going to be her due date because the little stinker was breach and since I was high risk, flipping her wasn’t an option.

That afternoon had been chosen to get the last minute items for her room. It’s tradition to not finish the nursery until after the baby is born. We had a huge lunch and then went shopping. We were in The Bay using a gift card to buy a baby bath and the clerks name was Grace. We both thought it was a good sign.

We then went to Walmart to get bedding and diapers and that type of thing. I was walking up and down the aisles and ohhhh...that was a strange feeling. Probably her just stretching out or something. So, we continued. Ohhhh....this pain I had make me have to stop and focus on it.

HOLY **** I’M IN LABOUR IN WALMART.

Luckily my friend who was with us is a nurse and took over. We ditched the full cart and got in her car and went to the hospital. Pains were about 8 minutes a part and weren’t awful, just enough to notice them.

I got the hospital and was taken to a bed right away. They did an exam and I was at 3 cm and there was concern her foot would slip out:scared1:

So, I called my mom and told her to not go out for dinner and to come to the hospital to meet her first grandchild. About an hour later I had my surgery and my Gracie Macie (not her middle name lol) was born.

The moral of the story? It was NOT a good idea to eat a huge lunch before having unintentional surgery. Fries and anesthesia drugs do not mix. :crazy2:

Just names we heard and liked.
DS name was the name of an animal that represented a company.
DD name was from a character in a tv show. Turned out to be a really popular name. Always several in her class when she started school

Ours are just names we liked. DD 2 (Christine) name got on the list after we seeing Phantom of the Opera while I was pregnant.

DD has her grandmother's middle names. We didn't know it at the time, but her first name was in the top ten for like 10-20 years before and after her birth. So there are a lot of girls with her name. I just learned to use her middle name if I had to call out to her in a crowd.

DS has the name that his big sister (then 2) started calling him when I was pregnant. It was more unusual, but easy to spell and pronounce, and I still love it. His middle names are the grandfathers first names.

My favorite boy’s name was too similar to my daughter’s name, and they were twins. I didn’t want similar names for them, so that name was out. There was another name I liked but DH hated it. We wound up choosing a beautiful, classic name for him along with DH’s name as his middle name. (Though DS always uses the shorter form of his name.)
I wish I’d thought of giving them my maiden name as their middle names. It might’ve made things a little confusing, though, so it’s probably just as well we didn’t.
I didn’t want matchy names either but their name length HAD to match. Don’t ask me why because I couldn’t tell ya. 🤣 I was the same with older DD. Our first names had five letters so hers had to as well. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I also wanted to use my maiden name somehow since my sister and I are the last to have it but it’s equally as long as my married name and that would have been one heck of a mouthful.

If it’s the same thread I’m thinking of it was the middle name Marie. Only the most popular middle name throughout all of human history! :lmao: (I say this as someone with the middle name Marie.)
Yep, younger DD’s middle name is Marie after MIL. I’m pretty MIL’s was Marie because it was “a middle name.”

Eldest has a Welsh name, youngest has a Scotch/Gaelic
:scratchin Since DS’s name didn’t have any particular significance (just a random name we liked) I’ve never in all these years researched the origin of it. A quick google just now turns it up as being “uncertain” - French, Welsh and Gaelic are all possibilities. Interesting!

From the time we met, DH always said he wanted a boy named Tyler and I liked it so we knew from the start the first born boy with be Tyler (has DH's first name as his middle). He's our 2nd child.
For girls, I came up with some ideas. I really liked Jordan, Meghan, Morgan (all were nixed by DH - our last name starts with M so he didn't want that and our friends had just had a DD they named Morgan too). But my favorite was Natalie and DH loved it too. when I was in college, Charlie's Angel's came out and I loved Cameron Diaz's character Natalie and then I always loved Natalia too (was my character in the James Bond 007 games our family would always play lol but DH didn't like that version). She is our first born and also has my formal first name as her middle name (was supposed to have my great-grandmother's name Sophia as middle but last minute when she was born I changed it to mine). Then, a year later my DB used Sophia for his DD so it all worked out.

Our son is named Daniel. My best friend in high school was named Daniel. He passed away from a brain tumor the year after we graduated high school, and our son is named Daniel partly in tribute to him. My wife and I also just liked the named Daniel.

I wanted classic name that wasn't everywhere but not too uncommon either. I wanted her middle name after my Grandmother, Grace, so it had to flow well with that. My mother wanted me to use my middle name which is also her middle name but I nixed that very quickly- I don't like my middle name and actually dropped it when I got married and now use my maiden name as my middle name. She was fine since Grace was her mother. We chose Catherine Grace and I still think it is a beautiful name. I decided last minute on which way to spell her first name. I love cats so chose the C instead of the K. :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!