Why do I want a crockpot?

MazdaUK

<font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><
Is it just so I can try all the recipes? Is it because I LOVE kitchen gadgets? Should I get one, or will it languish unused or take up too much room in my small kitchen? I don't have an icecream maker as I know you're supposed to leave them out all the time and I don't have counter space (I only have a small breadmaker and even that often has tins on top :guilty: )

So here's my challenge - convince me why I can't live without one, or tell me to get a life :rolleyes:

Do you work outside the home? Is someone yelling where's dinner as you walk in the door? Do you buy less expensive cuts of meat hoping they will tenderize in the oven? Do you need to keep things warm while others are cooking on the stove or in the oven? I am a gadget freak but the crock pot is the only one I use consistently. Find a good cookbook and look at the recipes or go to a site like www.recipeland.com and type in crockpot.

Good luck

Using a crockpot allows me to put a delicious meal on the table with minimal effort. It is faster than going through the drive thru window with much healthier results.

I can go to work knowing dinner is all planned and cooking. I can come home and not have to run anywhere else to pick up dinner or rush around the minute I get home cooking dinner.

I love my crockpot.

Does it take a lot of work before you go out in the morning? Or could DH get it started when he gets home from an early shift? Not sure I'd like leaving it on all day as I work in London and am out from 7.30 am

I use mine all the time for soups, stews, pork and sauerkraut, chili, homemade sloppy joes (not the canned kind), barbecued chicken and pulled pork, stuffed peppers and much much more.

Actually I have two. One is the less expensive more upright kind and one is a larger ceramic removable kind that is more round. We are even looking at one of the programable kind with the meat thermometers.

I say YES YES YES!!

I have a couple. But, I rarely cook a meal in them. I use them more for keeping party food warm then anything else. I'm gone for too many hours on work days. I leave by 7 am, and am often not home until 5:30-6pm. I find that is too long for most things to cook.

I've recently discovered the joy of an electric pressure cooker. I use that way more then the crockpot. I can cook a 3 pound pot roast (falling apart) in about 1 1/2 hours. That includes time to brown it, bring up the pressure, cook and release the pressure. Does a great job on soup, stew and sauces as well.

I used to commute 1.5 hrs to and from work. I used the crockpot all the time! It was on for an average of 12 hrs. For that length of time, I only recommend pot roasts or stews...or chicken on the bone with skin. Don't use boneless skinless breasts or you will be left with something dry and icky.

I now work only 20 min from home but still use the crock for stew and pot roast. I have the one with the digital timer that switches to "keep warm" after a set amount of cooking time.

Everyone that works needs a crockpot! :thumbsup2

DH and I just went and bought my Christmas present...... a DAB digital radio! So the crockpot will have to wait a little - but it is my birthday in February ;-)

My mum did buy one recently and I think she's not getting on that well, so I might borrow hers and see how I get on with it.

Thanks for all your views, its really helpful. I can see a really good use for one - doing the cooking for me while I scrap :lmao:

LOVE my crockpot. I make pasta sauce most frequent in mine - weekly and also use it for roasts, stews, and more. I also love using it for family get togethers or bring to work functions because it doesn't need to be watched like some other heating methods. There are tons of recipes that can be adapted for the slow cooker.

When I use mine I put it in the center of my stove and leave it go all day. This way god forbid something happened it is on a surface that isn't likely to burn/catch fire if I am not home :scared1: I think borrowing moms is a good idea to try it out too. :grouphug: hope she is feeling better!

She's fine thanks, she just hasn't mastered a crockpot. I've sent her the link to the crockpot thread so she may get the hang of it - but hopefully not til I've had a play!

Now until today I would have said a big YES to the crock pot ?!!!! Well today I put ribs in mine and off I went to work. Dreaming all day of fall apart ribs, with fries and corn YUM-O!!!!!! Well, WRONG!!!!! I came home to find that the crock pot is dead and it was stone cold. GREAT! And I have not had this one for all that long. It's my 2nd one. So now I am searching for a quick supper to make. UUGGHHH!!! :furious:

I love my crockpot and use it all the time. In fact I have one for my RV as well. I have a very small kitchen too but believe me I wouldn't give it up. It makes the best roasts, casseroles, chicken etc. BUT don't forget the crockpot liners that make clean up a breeze!

I love my crockpotS, pleural. I have my original round one in the house and now my DFIL bought me a small one perfect for heating dips and sauces for a party or large dinner. I have 2 in my RV. Last year I found one at Cabelas that runs off 12V. So while we're driving down the road, dinner is cooking at our feet. It came with an elastic bungee cord type of strap to hold down the lid from the jarring on the road. That thing is gold!!!By the time we arrive at our destination, dinner is done. :thumbsup2

DSis is giving me money for Christmas, so that may be the start of the Crockpot fund - or I might get lucky in the sales.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter