Why do recipes call for UNsalted butter?

It's A Happy Day

<font color=darkorchid>I am on a troll<br><font co
I am about to embark on my cookie extravaganza - 7 dozen for this weekends cookie swap!!! I have always used regular salted butter in my cookies and they taste fine but I am curious as to why recipes always seem to call for UNsalted butter??? :confused3 Does the salt affect how the cookie comes out or is it a taste thing. If a recipe calls for a pinch of salt I usually don't add that in either so maybe I'm balancing that by using the salted butter???? Just curious....

It is because you want to control the amount of salt. If you use salted butter cut back on the amount of added salt. It is easier just to use unsalted butter though.

I always use unsalted butter to control how much salt is in a recipe. Some recipes call for more, some for less. I apply this reasoning to flour as well, I always use all-purpose flour. Because some recipes call for more baking soda than others, the ratios in self-rising flour can not be used.

I just made about 40 dozen last weekend, all with unsalted butter.

I HATE unsalted butter - I don't know why, I can smell it as soon as anyone puts it in front of me. YUK! (Maybe its because we had to lodge with MIL while we did our house up and she had that ALL the time! ;-) ) I don't add a lot of salt to things anyway, but I always use salted butter even if the recipe says unsalted UNLESS its for something like a creamy dessert where the salt might make it split. But biscuits, cakes etc. all get salted

I only buy the unsalted butter since hearing the cooks on tv (tvfood network and PBS shows like Lidia Bastianich) recommend it. They've said that it is of better quality and fresher.

I found the reasoning on the tvfood network website:

URL: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_culinary_qa/article/0,1971,FOOD_9796_1702128,00.html

Unsalted butter vs. salted

January 27, 2003

Q: What's the deal with salted and unsalted butter?

A: Butter comes two ways: salted and unsalted. Salt is added to butter for flavor and as a preservative so it will have a longer shelf life. Salt, however, can sometimes overpower the sweet flavor of the butter and can also mask odors. Additionally, the amount of salt added to salted butter varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so it's hard to know how much extra salt you're adding to a recipe. Using unsalted butter allows the chef to control the amount of salt in a recipe.

If you have no choice but to use salted butter in a recipe, the rule of thumb is to omit about 1/4 teaspoon salt per 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter.

Unsalted butter has a short shelf life because it contains no preservatives. If you buy unsalted butter and do not use it right away, it is best to freeze it. If properly wrapped so it won't pick up any odors, butter can be frozen for around six months. Just remember to defrost the butter overnight in the refrigerator before using it.

-Food Network Kitchens

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter