Why do you live where you do?

I live in Texas because my Dad dragged us here from Southern California for a job when I was a kid.

My husband and I moved to the DFW area to escape the podunk town we lived in and because my dad and 3 siblings were here.

My dad and 3 siblings have since moved away, and we are still here because we had 4 kids and didn’t want to uproot them. My youngest is now a sophomore in high school, and I would love to get out of Texas when he graduates, but that would take a lot of convincing on my husband’s part. I think I’m just doomed to be here forever. 🙄

Last edited:
I live in Texas because my Dad dragged us here from Southern California for a job when I was a kid.

My husband and I moved to the DFW area to escape the podunk town we lived in and because my dad and 3 siblings were here.

My dad and 3 siblings have since moved away, and we are still here because we had 4 kids and didn’t want to uproot them. My youngest is now a sophomore in high school, and I would love to get out of Texas when he graduates, but that would a lot of take convincing on my husband’s part. I think I’m just doomed to be her forever. 🙄
I loved my time spent in Dallas and the people I know that live there love the place. Austin TX as well. I've never heard anyone not like living there.

It's complicated. Family is a big factor, my extended family is very close. My grandma is getting older and I can't bear the thought of moving away and not being here if she needs something. She has ALWAYS been there for me, she raised me for a good part of my childhood (the best part of it!).

Pennsylvania is beautiful, I can't really picture living anywhere else. I've lived in the same small town all my life.

Also, legally I'm bound here unless my ex-husband would sign off on a termination of his rights. I can't legally move out of my county, let alone my state.

Work. And, actually, I can only live here as long as I work at the same organization (or find a position at a similar one here) as my "right of abode" is tied directly to my job (I think that I have a month to leave the country if my contract ends and I don't have another one set).

Family, mostly, and a really low cost of living. Plus DH wanted a small town environment for raising the kids, and our town is perfect for that - everything within walking distance of our house and no major roads or crime to worry about when the kids are out and about with friends. I'd like to eventually move either back towards the city or out of Michigan entirely for better weather, but that'll depend on how much our parents need us by the time the youngest is grown.

I loved my time spent in Dallas and the people I know that live there love the place. Austin TX as well. I've never heard anyone not like living there.

It’s too hot for too long here. Miserably hot. I want to live somewhere cooler. I have fantasies of moving to Alaska approx. 5-6 months out of the year. 🤣

I moved here for my job 31 years ago.

I'm planning to retire at the end of 2020 and will likely move full time to the vacation home I own and currently rent out. Then maybe after a few years we'll explore the possibility of snow birding in Florida during the winter months.

I was born in the metro area and love living here. I always joke there's 4 seasons they just don't always happen when they are 'supposed to' or you get the weeks where all make their appearances lol. I don't have an intention to move elsewhere either. I love visiting other places but I love living where I do.
We joke our 4 seasons are football, crawfish, Mardi Gras & summer!

Last edited:
I suspect I would live in NYC even if I wasn't born and raised here. I believe "Frank, Baby" (Sinatra), and Alicia when they sing and Billy Joel's words even though one is from Jersey and another LI;).

I've lived and visited other places in the world and although I enjoyed my times I always knew where I felt most comfortable.
Still I want the best of many worlds so my retirement is built around maintaining an apartment here and a house in Panama. Oh and if Barcelona was closer and currency conversion better, I'd drop Panama in a hearbeat. It's my 2nd favorite city in the world. All my closest family members still live in and around NYC and for those that couldn't take the heat and left...well they know where to find us, LOL.

Close to the ocean (I have to live at sea level, as it makes me feel better) and I agree with most of the political leanings in the region, fantastic public schools, family nearby but not too close ;)

Born and raised and Massachusetts. We stayed and raised our kids here. Now the kids and grandkids are still here so we are too. I would love to move south a bit but won't because of the grandkids. Also, I love the seasons especially Fall. The leaves turning and the cooler weather is so nice. The snow is not so nice but a part of living here.

Born and raised outside of Chicago. Hated the winters my entire life. Once my folks passed we moved out to sunny Colorado to be near our kids. Winters are nothing here (don't live in the mountains) and sunny days!

Because DH wants to. Before we got married almost 10 years ago, we had discussed moving about 3 hours away to a place he lived for a few years right after college. They have good schools, a lot for us all to do, and it's further away from the big city we live too close to. Well, right after we got married he told me he felt he should stay where we are now because his parents were getting older and he should be around just in case. Mind you, both his sisters, their families, and all of his aunts, uncles, and cousins live in this same town. Once I brought that up, he told me the land we live on means a lot to him, it's where his mom grew up. Then another time we discussed it and the reason was DD needing to get through school. She's going to college soon, and we've told her we'd like her to attend a college 4-5 hours from home max, so there's another 4 years stuck here. Yeah, I hate where I live right now.

Born and raised and Massachusetts. We stayed and raised our kids here. Now the kids and grandkids are still here so we are too. I would love to move south a bit but won't because of the grandkids. Also, I love the seasons especially Fall. The leaves turning and the cooler weather is so nice. The snow is not so nice but a part of living here.
You could always get another place in south and spend time there.

Moved for a job - accepted here because the schools were good and the weather was great, of all the places we've lived this is my favorite. Don't look forward to moving somewhere else for the next job offer, but its part of the career so I'll figure it out I suppose.

We live in this state because I'm licensed here and I don't want to go through the pain of getting licensed in another state. One day, Lord willing, I'll retire and we'll move someplace warm.

As for the place in this state where we live, we moved here about 25 years ago and just really came to love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter