Why do you live where you do?

We moved here for a job, and have decided to stay to continue grad school. We have no extended family here, and we're renting, so we're open to moving away at some point but we really like it here.

Sixth generation Texan with seventh generation grown and married and eighth generation due a week from today. Have no and never have had any desire to live anywhere else. Own a home, and a sixty acre farm 2 hours away.

Texas born, Texas bred and when I die I'll be Texas dead!

My dad was stationed here and met my Mom in a nearby city. We traveled with military and my Dad retired here because my Mom had family.

I live here because the only place I would love move to is Oahu and I do t have mad money like that lol.

Sixth generation Texan with seventh generation grown and married and eighth generation due a week from today. Have no and never have had any desire to live anywhere else. Own a home, and a sixty acre farm 2 hours away.

Texas born, Texas bred and when I die I'll be Texas dead!
That's so incredible! As a nomad I can't even imagine what that is like, but it seems very cool, and very comforting.

That's so incredible! As a nomad I can't even imagine what that is like, but it seems very cool, and very comforting.

It is comforting in many ways, but I have also been told it was creepy too. Of course that is after I tell them that right next to my farm is the family cemetery of which I am the president of. It is where my wife and I will be buried. All five generations of Texans in the family are buried there. First burial was in 1838. My farm was part of 180 acres the Republic of Texas gave my 3rd Great Grandfather for his service to the Republic since they had no money, but plenty of land. He served at San Jacinto and for six months after in 1836. Roots run about as deep as they can given when this part of the world was settled.

My job has always dictated where we live; this is our 4th city/state to live in since we married. We have loved everyplace we've lived but TX is home and we'd love to land back there someday.

I absolutely love my city (Orlando) and feel a strong connection to the community here. I’ve moved to NY twice but always end up back here where I grew up. My closest relatives are here too, I have a great group of friends, and this is one of the Mecca’s for my chosen career... so I foresee being here for a while.

It is comforting in many ways, but I have also been told it was creepy too. Of course that is after I tell them that right next to my farm is the family cemetery of which I am the president of. It is where my wife and I will be buried. All five generations of Texans in the family are buried there. First burial was in 1838. My farm was part of 180 acres the Republic of Texas gave my 3rd Great Grandfather for his service to the Republic since they had no money, but plenty of land. He served at San Jacinto and for six months after in 1836. Roots run about as deep as they can given when this part of the world was settled.
I don’t think it’s creepy. I get it. DS is a 6th generation New Orleanian. You got me beat by 2 generations & I don’t have a cemetery on my property, but we do have a family tomb in one of the famous NOLA cemeteries so I know where I’ll go!

Way cool. So much interesting history! :)

I don’t think it’s creepy. I get it. DS is a 6th generation New Orleanian. You got me beat by 2 generations & I don’t have a cemetery on my property, but we do have a family tomb in one of the famous NOLA cemeteries so I know where I’ll go!

Speaking of plots; My Mom (89) has three plots she bought up in our small town cemetery. She keeps saying that if we all get cremated she can fit us all in!! :teeth:

Wish I had a deep and interesting story to tell, but the plain and simple answer is weather. DW and I grew up in the roughly Philly area. We simply had enough of snow, cold and nor'easters. We decided that before our kids got too old and planted firm roots there that we wanted to get out of the cold. So we took a leap of faith and just pulled the trigger. We could have chosen anywhere in the country, as we had no ties anywhere other than PA/NJ. We considered all kinds of places...Dallas, Houston, Tampa, Orlando, Phoenix, etc... Ultimately wound up in Atlanta due to the weather, job market, cost of living and DW wanted to stay on the east coast.

I may have stayed in the Atlanta area or the south after college if I could have found a job right then. Unfortunately I graduated into the worst of the recession and it took me a few years to get a job in my field, so I went home to MA to live with my parents. Now I'm settled here, most of my family is here, and MA just suits me best politically, so here I'll stay. I hate the winters, but I can deal with them.

We're in MA for several reasons.
Initially, it's where our families lived (and where we met), so we stayed local when the kids were young.
I had a job offer in another state, but couldn't take it for a few reasons.
The MA public schools are pretty amazing. I have one kid on an IEP, and they've done very right by him.
Health insurance coverage. MA was a leader when it came to making sure health insurance providers took care of the young, the old and the sick. My husband is a type 1 diabetic, I have a chronic thyroid issue and one of our kids is on medication for neuroatypical stuff. Once the groundwork was laid for required minimum coverage to be much better nationwide, I thought we could spread our wings a bit and move...but I cannot in good conscience move us anywhere that could put our ability to get health coverage in jeopardy just because some states prefer not to hold insurers accountable to care for the people who need it (unless they can foot the bill for out of pocket costs, which we can't on our best day). I've seen the bills that some states drafted when it looked like the requirements might be lifted, and it's gross.

So I'll stay here, pay the high cost of living, and at least know my kids are well educated without going to private school and my family's health is in good hands.

DHs job took up to Tennessee. We live near Memphis, I don't care for the high crime and lousy drivers. The cost of living where we are is high, but that's because it's one of the best school districts in the state. If we lived in Memphis we'd be paying private school for 4 kids as the public school system is terrible. I'd prefer to be back on the west coast. I miss the mountains. We have none here.

It's near work and near my kids (half hour.) Once the kids are out on their own, maybe I'll think about looking for a different better paying job away from snow and constant taxes.

MA

Roots, whole family on both sides from here going back generations
Family and long term friends
Jobs/Careers/Schools
Four seasons/Seasonal Recreation
History, Food, Culture and Sports
Oceans and beaches
Healthcare and hospitals
Progressive climate not only politically but legally, including animal laws
Relatively peaceful where most from all backgrounds get along
Will likely always be home

Dh’s job. Can’t wait to get out of here. Have another at least 10 years before dh retires. 🤮. Lol. In the meantime we go on vacations about 6 times a year.

I grew up near here. My parents still live in the same town where I grew up. My job is here. I like the weather and being close to a major city and all that it entails. We're only about 3.5 hrs from the ocean too.

A couple of weeks ago DH was talking about me retiring early (he's already retired) and us moving to FL for the weather and to be closer to DD. I flat our told him I can't move as long as my parents are living. My brother lives 8 hrs away. My parents are getting older and I need to be closer to take care them and things when needed. I don't want to put that on my niece.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!