Why is the rum always gone? We might be responsible! UPDATE 7/13: My photos are back and other stuff

Looks like a great day. Loving the chocolate frog and head sized donut. Casey would be all over that

We got that huge pink donut when we were at Universal in 2015. I'm ashamed to admit I ate most of it :rolleyes1 Steve and Ricky each had a tiny piece and Chris had a slightly larger piece, and the rest was mine. Of course it was also my idea to get it!
Your flatbread sounds delicious! Nice that you and Devon had some time to yourselves, too :)

I did a "binge reading" of your dining review and found it breezy, enjoyable reading. Thanks! We've enjoyed the F&W festival in the past, though it's been awhile since we've been able to attend together. I especially took note of the comments regarding Sanaa since it's one of our favorite places to dine. We go for the full-bore bread service, toss in a salad or bowl of soup, add wine, and call it a meal. It never fails to be a rousing success! The wine pictured on Page 5--cause I'm just that nerdy sometimes--is the Southern Right Sauvignon Blanc. Like you, our go to white is a Sauv Blanc though we generally prefer those from Marlborough); however, S. African wines are usually excellent, as well. Rather than opt for a bottle at Sanaa, we'll usually share a glass (or four) of a S. Blanc and Pinotage (they carry Warwick which is quite excellent). Thanks for helping me relive our past meals there!

Universal Day Three-October 27, 2016 (Part One)

Our last day of vacation…booooo!

We once again started our day at USF. DH and the boys all grabbed breakfast at Beverly Hills Boulangerie, which is toward the entrance to the park in the Hollywood area. They got croissants and a breakfast sandwich and I think were happy with everything. We were able to grab an outside table which is always nice for people watching.

We had to hit Springfield again, of course:

For some reason I decided today—our last day—was the day to get my refillable souvenir popcorn bucket. No rhyme or reason to that decision, obviously, I just wanted popcorn. As you can see from the receipt, the popcorn was $5.99:

Their popcorn refills are $1.29. Compared to WDW, where the buckets cost $10.00 and the refills are $1.50, Universal definitely comes out the winner on this one. Here is a side-by-side shot comparing the popcorn buckets. Universal's is bigger, but WDW's is cuter!

While at Universal we also got a couple of the Coke Freestyle cups. For those who don’t know, the way these work is as follows: If you want to purchase one cup, it’s $12.99 plus tax. If you purchase two, they are $11.99 each, plus tax. If you want to purchase 3-6, they are $9.99 each, plus tax. All of the cups must be purchased at once to receive the discount. No matter how many cups you choose to purchase, the cup(s) entitles you to unlimited free refills at any Coke Freestyle station at either theme park for the day. If you already have a cup, you can add extra days for $5.99 per cup.

We bought three of the cups on our first day at Universal, and added extra days on two of them for our two subsequent park days (someone snagged Dylan’s on day one in Knockturn Alley when he put it down to cast a spell >:(). I have to say that we really loved having the Freestyle cups. There are stations located pretty conveniently, and it was really nice to be able to have unlimited drinks while in the parks (as opposed to refillable Disney mugs that you have to use at the resorts). I don’t know about you and your families, but my kids are always thirsty while we’re IN the parks, not back at the resort so much. Plus the Coke Freestyle machines are awesome and have a million options so everyone was able to have what they wanted and we just shared and it worked out fine. We definitely got our money’s worth.

Here’s a shot of one of the Freestyle cups next to the popcorn bucket to give you an idea as to the decent size of the cups:

Also, if you look back at the receipt from the popcorn, you’ll notice that Universal sells 20 oz. ciders for $7.99. And that was Strongbow on tap, which is one of the most expensive ciders if you’re buying it in a store. AND they gave discounts on refills for the more expensive souvenir cups! It’s probably a good thing that I didn’t realize this until our last day :P

Anyway. We spent some more time in Diagon Alley, where the boys did more spells and Dylan and Sean picked up souvenirs at the super cute Magical Menagerie (Dylan got a 3-headed Fluffy dog and Sean got an awesome Hedwig). Then we took our last ride on the Hogwarts Express (so cool) over to Hogsmeade and hit up the Three Broomsticks for a frozen butterbeer in a souvenir mug:

…and I popped into Honeydukes for my own candy souvenir:

We left the Wizarding World…

…and then rode anything we hadn’t already, including the Jurassic Park River Adventure (holy unexpected huge drop!) and Skull Island: Reign of Kong.

We walked around Islands of Adventure some more, then Nathan and I rode The Hulk one last time (awesome!) and we had officially had our fill of theme parks for this trip. But of course there was still more pool time and dinner to be had :-)

Coming up…I actually take pictures of our food for a change!

Looks like a great day. Loving the chocolate frog and head sized donut. Casey would be all over that

I figured the donut would be gross but the boys said it actually was really good! The chocolate frogs were adorable. They are expensive ($11.99 I think) but they are solid chocolate, and the packaging is just too dang cute :-)

We got that huge pink donut when we were at Universal in 2015. I'm ashamed to admit I ate most of it :rolleyes1 Steve and Ricky each had a tiny piece and Chris had a slightly larger piece, and the rest was mine. Of course it was also my idea to get it!
Your flatbread sounds delicious! Nice that you and Devon had some time to yourselves, too :)

The boys LOVED that donut! And yes, it was definitely nice to get a little kid-free time. As Marge Simpson herself says in the Itchy and Scratchy Land episode, "You know, part of spending time together as a family is spending time apart as individuals." ;)

I did a "binge reading" of your dining review and found it breezy, enjoyable reading. Thanks! We've enjoyed the F&W festival in the past, though it's been awhile since we've been able to attend together. I especially took note of the comments regarding Sanaa since it's one of our favorite places to dine. We go for the full-bore bread service, toss in a salad or bowl of soup, add wine, and call it a meal. It never fails to be a rousing success! The wine pictured on Page 5--cause I'm just that nerdy sometimes--is the Southern Right Sauvignon Blanc. Like you, our go to white is a Sauv Blanc though we generally prefer those from Marlborough); however, S. African wines are usually excellent, as well. Rather than opt for a bottle at Sanaa, we'll usually share a glass (or four) of a S. Blanc and Pinotage (they carry Warwick which is quite excellent). Thanks for helping me relive our past meals there!

Ah, thank you for the wine ID! I am very seriously contemplating just having the bread service and a bottle of wine for dinner when we go in September, though rounding it out with soup or salad sounds like a fabulous idea :)

Thanks for reading along!

Our last day of vacation…booooo!
Noooooo :sad: have SO been enjoying your report. Can't we stay just a few more days?!

someone snagged Dylan’s on day one in Knockturn Alley when he put it down to cast a spell >:(
Did the culprit set the Dark Mark in the sky as well because that is some true death eater behavior right there. :furious:

Also, if you look back at the receipt from the popcorn, you’ll notice that Universal sells 20 oz. ciders for $7.99. And that was Strongbow on tap, which is one of the most expensive ciders if you’re buying it in a store. AND they gave discounts on refills for the more expensive souvenir cups! It’s probably a good thing that I didn’t realize this until our last day :P
Funny, I did happen to notice the cider on the receipt but I had no idea they sold strongbow so cheaply! I had some from the bar in Diagon Alley near the fountain (Hopping Pot maybe? Can't remember right now) and have no recollection of the price. I'm sure it was the same! $8 is still a lot for beer or cider in "real world" prices but compared to Disney, Universal's prices are much more appealing.

But of course there was still more pool time and dinner to be had :-)

Woo hoo! Can't wait. :beach:

Universal Day Three-October 27, 2016 (Part Two)

As usual we hit the resort pool and hot tub…

…before heading to Universal City Walk for dinner at…Cowfish!

We had a great table out on the upstairs seating area and had a perfect view of City Walk and the gorgeous sunset:

The menu at Cowfish is very extensive—here’s a link in case anyone wants to check it out:
https://www.universalorlando.com/menus/citywalk/the-cowfish-dining-menu.pdf

We started off with the Spicy Poke Dip, which is spicy salmon, yellowtail and tuna poke, seaweed salad, and wonton chips. We also got a cocktail to share before we moved on to Strongbows with our dinner, which was the Hokkaido Nights -44 North Nectarine vodka, lemongrass syrup, fresh basil and mint, and cucumber. Our appetizer and drink were both delicious:

We saw lots of people getting sushi and it looked great, but we really were in the mood for burgers that night. Nathan got the Texas Longhorn, which had cheddar cheese, onion strings, jalapeno bacon, tangy BBQ sauce, lettuce, and tomato on a brioche bun:

Devon got the Hoisin Burger, which had hoisin cooked short ribs, candied smoked bacon, and pickled red onions on a bed of English cucumbers, on a brioche bun:

I got the C.B.C.L.T, which has cheddar cheese, Applewood bacon, white cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, and Cowfish sauce on a brioche bun. Of course I don’t have a picture of my burger for whatever reason, but it was delicious! We all had fries with our burgers, which were also very good.

Dylan and Sean both got one of the kids’ bento boxes, which are super cute! They include a choice of two sides (carrots, apples, oranges, edamame, or house seasoned fries) and come with rice krispie Swedish fish “sushi” for dessert. Sean got the grilled cheese, and Dylan god the Cowfish mini burgers with American cheese. They both got apple slices and fries for their sides:

We all really enjoyed our dinner—the food and service were very good, and the atmosphere in the evening at City Walk is just really fun. The prices were also quite reasonable. We would definitely come back to Cowfish!

We walked back to the resort after dinner and they were showing Rise of the Guardians at the pool, so back to the pool we went!

DH and the older boys ended up heading to the room when the movie was over, but Sean was still having a blast in the pool and eventually convinced me to join him. By then we pretty much had it to ourselves. This is him in the pool at about 9:30 p.m. Does this kid know how to vacation or what?

After that we hit the hot tub again and then it was time for bed and the looooong drive back to Wisconsin. :sad:

Coming up…a recap and some thoughts on our trip! :-)

Noooooo say it ain't so!

We love cowfish- the bad news for our waistlines and wallets is that we've now got one in Atlanta that we've been to a couple times. It's such a crowd pleaser since you can get either burgers or sushi.

Looking forward to your final thoughts. Thank you for sharing your vacation!

Noooooo say it ain't so!

We love cowfish- the bad news for our waistlines and wallets is that we've now got one in Atlanta that we've been to a couple times. It's such a crowd pleaser since you can get either burgers or sushi.

Looking forward to your final thoughts. Thank you for sharing your vacation!

Oooooh, lucky you! We really enjoyed Cowfish...I would totally go there all the time if we had one near us!

Sigh, can't believe this trip is (finally, LOL) at an end. Maybe I have subconsciously been putting off these last couple of posts to make it last as long as possible ;)

Following along...

Amber, you crack me up!!!! My husband and I love ordering fruity drinks poolside, while on vacation (well, we love ordering fruity drinks anywhere actually)...:love:

So excited to try the Naan bread in March. I actually just made reservations at Sanaa for this exact purpose.

Really enjoyed your report! You had me LOL several times! My oldest son's birthday is also October 23rd, but he's 37! Yikes, where does the time go! Your three sons are adorable, and you have a cutie of a hubby, if you don't mind my saying so! :blush: We have three little grandsons, ages 4 1/2, 4 & almost 3. Can't wait to take them to WDW together!

Following along...

Amber, you crack me up!!!! My husband and I love ordering fruity drinks poolside, while on vacation (well, we love ordering fruity drinks anywhere actually)...:love:

So excited to try the Naan bread in March. I actually just made reservations at Sanaa for this exact purpose.

Thanks for the nice comment and for reading along! :)

I hope Sanaa lives up to the hype for you. The bread service alone is worth a visit IMO! It's our arrival day dinner when Sean and I go in September...only 216 more days ;)

Really enjoyed your report! You had me LOL several times! My oldest son's birthday is also October 23rd, but he's 37! Yikes, where does the time go! Your three sons are adorable, and you have a cutie of a hubby, if you don't mind my saying so! :blush: We have three little grandsons, ages 4 1/2, 4 & almost 3. Can't wait to take them to WDW together!

So glad you enjoyed my report! I've really had fun writing it and reliving our trip. And thank you for the nice compliment--I am lucky to have all these cute guys to hang out with ;)

Sounds like you have some little cuties of your own. It will be so much fun to take them to WDW! :)

, including the Jurassic Park River Adventure (holy unexpected huge drop!) and Skull Island: Reign of Kong.
Oh c'mon, that Jurassic Park drop isn't that bad :D What did you think of Kong? I rode it for the first time last week when I was there for the TA training. I loved the huge animatronic at the end (sorry people reading this who haven't been) but the ride itself didn't thrill me. I miss the old Kong ride plus I think I'm just tired of all 3D stuff.......

Dylan and Sean both got one of the kids’ bento boxes, which are super cute
They are cute! And all those burgers look good. There's a Cowfish about 45 minutes from here by a friend of mine, and we go shopping in the plaza by it quite often. Never thought to eat there but I may try and talk her into it.

rice krispie Swedish fish “sushi” for dessert.
This is just adorable :goodvibes

Burgers and pool time sounds like a great last day to me!!!! I don't think I realized it before, but i had no idea you all had driven down there. How long is it???????

Oh c'mon, that Jurassic Park drop isn't that bad :D What did you think of Kong? I rode it for the first time last week when I was there for the TA training. I loved the huge animatronic at the end (sorry people reading this who haven't been) but the ride itself didn't thrill me. I miss the old Kong ride plus I think I'm just tired of all 3D stuff.......

They are cute! And all those burgers look good. There's a Cowfish about 45 minutes from here by a friend of mine, and we go shopping in the plaza by it quite often. Never thought to eat there but I may try and talk her into it.

This is just adorable :goodvibes

Eh, I thought Kong was OK. It's not really my kind of ride, though. I mean it was well done and the effects were good and everything, but Sean and I didn't really enjoy it...I don't like feeling like I'm going to fall into a crevasse ;)

We really liked Cowfish! Their menu is huge. I sort of wish we'd tried some of the sushi and rolls, but just were feeling burgers that night. It was a perfect early dinner family spot :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!