Wifi Device Rental Question

Yanevernoinoz

Yanevernoinoz (Deb)
Hi Everyone,

We are going to Japan in 2019. We are flying into Osaka and flying out of Tokyo and we are traveling to other places besides these two main hubs so we need to be assured of internet access outside these areas.

I've had conflicting advice about internet access in Japan from 'there's heaps of free wifi everywhere you go' to 'Free wifi is not easily available in areas outside of the main part of Tokyo'.

We've also been advised to be careful who we get a wifi device from because some companies require the device to be returned to where they were picked up and this is not necessarily clear at the time you pick up the device especially if there is an issue understanding the language (we will only know basic things).

We are looking at getting the portable wifi device over the sim cards as I've not heard a bad thing about them and everyone I speak to highly recommends them. I have found a company where I can order the device online and pick up at Osaka airport. Then as we leave Tokyo, we can put the device into a pre-paid postage bag and drop off at a post office. This sounds so convenient but first I wanted to check if anyone else has heard of or used this company.

https://foxwifi.tokyo/lp/japan/port...-nhqUATEOs6NboEKer3wYVQEg6cliAxsaAhdaEALw_wcB

171 days to go :yay:

Thank you so much!

I was just in Japan, I used Japan Wireless.

https://www.japan-wireless.com/lp?u...lntvzqrc7B_AIujha4Bt6RrEEkMzuqwAaAo3EEALw_wcB

They are able to setup delivery to wherever you would like. I had flown into Narita and had it delivered to the Post office at the airport. It was simple to pickup. I just showed them my tracking number and they gave me my package. It had everything I needed in it to use the Pocket Wifi. The battery life of the Wifi lasted about 8-10 hrs, but there was a small portable battery included, so you could technically charge your phone too. Once I was done with it, I had packed it up in the pre-paid envelope and dropped it off at a mail slot. I used the same location at the airport and dropped it in the red box. Plus I watched a few videos on wifi and was able to find a code for 10% off I think. For two weeks, i paid around $100.

I would not rely on the Wifi around the areas of your travels. It's true there are a lot of places that offer free wifi and even on some buses too. The problem is that it seems to be spotty and at times slow. We even used some of our hotels' Free wifi and it was the same situation. The Pocket wifi was very reliable and quick enough for us to stream Netflix in the hotel with no problems.

FYI we went to Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto.

I was just in Japan, I used Japan Wireless.

https://www.japan-wireless.com/lp?u...lntvzqrc7B_AIujha4Bt6RrEEkMzuqwAaAo3EEALw_wcB

They are able to setup delivery to wherever you would like. I had flown into Narita and had it delivered to the Post office at the airport. It was simple to pickup. I just showed them my tracking number and they gave me my package. It had everything I needed in it to use the Pocket Wifi. The battery life of the Wifi lasted about 8-10 hrs, but there was a small portable battery included, so you could technically charge your phone too. Once I was done with it, I had packed it up in the pre-paid envelope and dropped it off at a mail slot. I used the same location at the airport and dropped it in the red box. Plus I watched a few videos on wifi and was able to find a code for 10% off I think. For two weeks, i paid around $100.

I would not rely on the Wifi around the areas of your travels. It's true there are a lot of places that offer free wifi and even on some buses too. The problem is that it seems to be spotty and at times slow. We even used some of our hotels' Free wifi and it was the same situation. The Pocket wifi was very reliable and quick enough for us to stream Netflix in the hotel with no problems.

FYI we went to Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto.

Thank you so much ionz13. Much appreciated. It's great to get feedback from someone who has been there and done that. ☺

I would not rely on Wifi being available. Even if it is available, you may be required to register and receive a code on a Japanese phone number or email which you can't do if you don't already have internet.

I've used Wi-Ho which I picked up and dropped off in HND. I've also rented from other companies from outside Japan. WiFi devices can overheat causing them to shut down if you just shove them into the bottom of your back. Battery is also an issue because one time, my 16750 mAh external battery, phone and WiFi device were all completely drained before Fantasmic so I ended up buying another battery at DisneySea.

SIM cards tend to be cheaper but may take some effort to set up and may not allow tethering if you don't have the right type. The time I bought a super cheap card, I had a problem loading the Tokyo Disneyland app due to slow data speeds and ended up using a third party English app to check wait times. You don't have to worry about dropping them off properly when you leave so I'll say that cancels out the inconvenience of setup.

Not quite the answer you were looking for but these are just things to keep in mind, whatever option you end up going with.

I would not rely on Wifi being available. Even if it is available, you may be required to register and receive a code on a Japanese phone number or email which you can't do if you don't already have internet.

I've used Wi-Ho which I picked up and dropped off in HND. I've also rented from other companies from outside Japan. WiFi devices can overheat causing them to shut down if you just shove them into the bottom of your back. Battery is also an issue because one time, my 16750 mAh external battery, phone and WiFi device were all completely drained before Fantasmic so I ended up buying another battery at DisneySea.

SIM cards tend to be cheaper but may take some effort to set up and may not allow tethering if you don't have the right type. The time I bought a super cheap card, I had a problem loading the Tokyo Disneyland app due to slow data speeds and ended up using a third party English app to check wait times. You don't have to worry about dropping them off properly when you leave so I'll say that cancels out the inconvenience of setup.

Not quite the answer you were looking for but these are just things to keep in mind, whatever option you end up going with.

Thank you for letting me know. It's good to get all the information when it comes to making decisions ☺

Thank you for letting me know. It's good to get all the information when it comes to making decisions ☺

Hi - if you're on FB the group Japan Travel Planning is invaluable! I've gotten so much information to help plan my trip. Enjoy Japan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter