wifi onboard Ovation of the Seas cruising Alaska

halfmonkey

DIS Veteran
We're currently looking into booking our very first Alaska cruise. We looked at DCL but we just can't afford their Alaska prices so we have to look at RCCL and this would also be our very first cruise with RCCL too.

In looking into the features of their ship, I came across something that mentioned how their wifi service is good and different because they employ 3 satellites that fly low orbit or something or other. Seeing that Alaska is still US and not international, I don't have to get an international plan or anything like that like how I did when we cruised to the Eastern Caribbean on Disney Fantasy. We basically paid $10 each day for each phone that wanted to access the network on the island. We would have our same calling, texting and data plans as we would while in the US. BTW, I'm with Verizon. I assume since Alaska is one of the 50 states, we don't need anything like this plan...or do we? I'm only asking because sometimes they have exclusions on Hawaii and Alaska for things because they're not close of the main part of the US.

So assuming, I don't need to subscribe to an "international" plan or anything like that, how is the wifi/cell service onboard the ship as it's sailing? Do you still get cell signal or does the ship not pick up any cell signal?

If their is no cell signal, does anybody know the prices for the wifi packages while onboard?

I was on a different RCL cruise ship that went to a few Alaskan ports and Victoria, Canada, in 2016. Depending on where your Alaskan cruise is going is is possible that you will be in Canadian coverage zones for cell service, and it is also possible that there will be sea days with no cellular signal at all.

If you want to guarantee that you have WiFi access on the ship sign up for one of the RCL internet packages. In my opinion there is no need to have more than one internet package per person - you can enter the code on multiple devices as long as you do not try and use both on WiFi at the same time. RCL runs specials for their internet packages - once you book you will start receiving those emails. All of their pricing is available on line so you can figure costs out even if you have not booked the trip. You can pre-purchase what you want via My Cruise Planner just like with shore excursions.

As for calling, when we were in Alaska in 2014 we had no issues with our Verizon coverage.

Hopefully you book the cruise and go. Do not forget warm clothing - the wind and cold the sea day you do the glaciers will make you thankful for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!