Wilderness Lodge V. HRH

manhattan

DIS Veteran
I am trying to decide between the Wilderness Lodge or HRH. We love staying at Disney resorts, but are considering HRH because of their pet friendly policy. We will be spending most of our time poolside-so we will have our puppy with us most of the time. Besides this one benefit, why else would you recommend that we stay at HRH. We are a family of four, son is 9 and daughter is 7. How expensive is the "food court" at HRH? Is there anything else to do on property besides the pool? Thanks in advance.

I have never stayed at Wilderness, but I just got back from HRH about a month ago. We loved it! The pool there is really cool! They also had a shuffelboard game near the pool. Not sure about other recreation, but I don't think you would get bored. HRH is only a 5 minute walk to the parks which is so nice. No waiting for the bus!
As far as food goes, they don't have a food court at HRH, but I don't think there is one at Wilderness Lodge either. There is a restaurant called the Sunset Grill that you can get things to go. There is also a poolside restaurant/snack bar. I think the prices are the about the same at all resorts, kinda high.

Kim:wave: :wave: :wave:

I just got back from the HRH today. Pool is fantastic, great slide for the kids. CityWalk will keep you busy and the Front of the Line in the parks can't be beat. As far as the hotel, there is shuffelboard, pool table and a game room but that is about it for activities. I stayed at Wilderness 2 years ago. That was also a great pool with similar activities. If you don't want to deal with the buses the HRH is a great alternative and a great place to stay and explore.

I've stayed at both HRH and Wilderness Lodge. There simply is no comparison. Our room at Wildnerness Lodge was pool view with a queen bed and bunk beds. Verrrrrry small, carpet coming up all over the place and marks all over the wallpaper. Also very dark and gloomy. Bathroom was extremely small and there was no extra space anywhere. We paid $299 for this room and we've had better rooms at Motel 6. HRH cost $149 for a HUGE deluxe room ( room 4010 which was well over 500 square feet) with two queen beds and a full pull out couch, very clean and bright. Bathroom was very large and there was a nice big office area at the entrance of the room which my son claimed as his area for playing on the laptop and whatever. It compares much easier with the larger rooms at the Grand Floridian.

Also the location can't be beat at HRH since it is within short walking distance to everything and at WL you are very isolated. We also enjoyed the pool at HRH more.

WL is pretty but the rooms really stink (literally) and you are paying through the teeth for the grandeur of the lobby.

We would stay at HRH in a heartbeat but will never again stay at WL.

I'd defintly take HRH over Wilderness lodge for the exact same reasons as damo just stated. Plus I'd like to add you can rent a pool side cabana for a day which has a TV, phone, towels, chairs, and service at HRH. And at the HRH as far as recreation they have amazing pool with sweet underwater speakers, awesome slide for a hotel, basketball net in pool, cool fountain things that pop out of the ground that your kids will like to play in, life size chess board, shuffle board, and ping pong tables. And since you have a pet I thought I'd tell you they even have a dog and cat menu which was really neat.

Ditto with what IOArules has said. HRH has it all over WL. Much more to do with the kids or those 'young-at-heart'. Don't give it a second thought! HRH!:)

As stated on other posts--you will spend more for food at HRH because there is no food court.

We split our stay between HRH & WL in April. We enjoyed HRH better because 1--it seemed more like a deluxe hotel and 2 there weren't as many kids running around.

You can't beat front of the like access either!!

That being said: We still love the WL.

I think it all depends on what you are looking for from this vacation. We love just hanging at the lodge, curling up in the chairs and reading in the 4th floor lobby, and being close enough to walk the nature trail every morning.

If we were going to spend most of our time at USF/IOA I'd go to HRH hands down. We loved it there.

Thanks for the info. I am now thinking that I may split our time between the two resorts. I love WL, sitting by the fire, biking on the trail, breakfast at the Artist Point and I love watching the fireworks from the balcony. We are only planning one day at IOA and one day at MK, the rest of our time will be spent poolside. I almost feel like going to Orlando without staying at a Disney resort, doesn't feel like a real trip to "The World". The more DH and I discuss this, the more we think we will leave our puppy with family.

Hi!

What is this pet-friendly and dog and cat menu stuff you guys are talking about? Did I miss something about pets being permitted? Thanks!

The room service menus have dog and cat goodies to order for your pet. I don't know how many rooms are available for pets but my guess would be not a lot.

For Those Traveling With Pets: The Universal's Hard Rock Hotel welcomes pets up to 20 pounds (max. 2 pets per room). Upon check-in, pets receive a welcome gift, list of services, do not disturb sign and room service menu. The hotel also has kennels that may be rented (please see hotel staff for fee), special pet room service and pet housekeeping services. All pets must be leashed or kenneled while staying at the hotel. Pets are not allowed in restaurants or pool areas. Universal's Hard Rock Hotel requires a certificate of health dated no more than ten days prior to check-in for each pet. The hotel charges a $100 non-refundable pet deposit for each pet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter