Will any projects permanently halt due to COVID-19?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
When I think about other major life event impacts on WDW, I immediately think of the repercussions of 9/11, which resulted in the halting of certain projects, such as the second phase buildings of Pop Century. I wonder if any major construction projects will permanently come to an end due to COVID-19 closure?

You can pretty much count on it.

Off the top of my head, Mary Poppins won't happen. Portions of the Epcot re-do will be cancelled/severely scaled back. At least with Epcot, they have to do something - they can't leave bare ground and construction walls around indefinitely. The Spaceship Earth 5.0 makeover will be scrapped for now.

Tron and Guardians will likely continue. Ratatouille will be completed, although the opening will be delayed a few months.

the Play Pavilion may be delayed, but probably cancelled for the time being.

Steve

It’s been discussed throughout several threads. All projects are being evaluated right now.

You can pretty much count on it.

Off the top of my head, Mary Poppins won't happen. Portions of the Epcot re-do will be cancelled/severely scaled back. At least with Epcot, they have to do something - they can't leave bare ground and construction walls around indefinitely. The Spaceship Earth 5.0 makeover will be scrapped for now.

Tron and Guardians will likely continue. Ratatouille will be completed, although the opening will be delayed a few months.

the Play Pavilion may be delayed, but probably cancelled for the time being.

Steve

Thank you-this was an informative post. What is the Mary Poppins attraction?

I thought I had read on the Dis a while back that one of the blogs had said (I know, not official) that Ratatouille, Tron, Guardians, and "Epcot spine" would be finished, and everything else was being "defunded." No details on what the "spine" construction would actually include. Again, just my recollection, and not official.

I still think that if we all survive long enough, eventually there will be something "Mary Poppins" in the UK. It may be several years down the road and altered from whatever the original plan was, but it is such an iconic Disney movie and such a perfect fit to expand the pavilion, I think the idea will stick around.

As others have said, depending on progress, appearance and guest impact, there is likely to be a lot that might have been planned that is changed or scaled back. But even stuff like the path to Grand Floridian will probably be completely scrapped and while they invested money in the new bridge, 95% of the guests wont miss it or know that it was in progress and then stopped.

I don't think there is much doubt that any project that has not moved forward in a significant fashion will be delayed or scrapped entirely.
The longer everything is closed, the more likely this is true.

As others have said, depending on progress, appearance and guest impact, there is likely to be a lot that might have been planned that is changed or scaled back. But even stuff like the path to Grand Floridian will probably be completely scrapped and while they invested money in the new bridge, 95% of the guests wont miss it or know that it was in progress and then stopped.
Last pictures showed the bridge being installed and the path was almost finished.

This right here. If it's already underway, it'll be finished, at some point. If it hasn't been started, I'd probably kiss it goodbye.
if its out in "public view", and by that i mean, somewhere that a guest can easily see it and its been started, it'll continue. However dont be shocked if something is started and not finished. I only say that because of the legacy years at pop. Yes it finally finished as AoA, but it sat half constructed for years.

if its out in "public view", and by that i mean, somewhere that a guest can easily see it and its been started, it'll continue. However dont be shocked if something is started and not finished. I only say that because of the legacy years at pop. Yes it finally finished as AoA, but it sat half constructed for years.

Yes very true. I agree - "started" as in public view.

I haven't kept up on it, but isn't there still another fixed bridge that needs to be installed closer to GF that hasn't even started yet?

I know I'm not the first to say it, but I think the Star Wars hotel is going to be the next POP Legendary Years.

I know I'm not the first to say it, but I think the Star Wars hotel is going to be the next POP Legendary Years.

Yeah it will get done but I could see a long delay since it isn't very far along and because people may not have the money for something like that right when things start back. So a delay of a few years I would say is very possible.

The Star Wars hotel is a lot further along than the Legendary Years build was. However, I agree that it's going to sit there for quite a while in it's unfinished state.

Legendary Years had the front check in building, enclosed and sided. Basic parking lot work and one, maybe two (3) building pods erected but not enclosed. Pads were poured for the rest of them but had not gone vertical.

that was in my mind when i responded to this as well. I would not be surprised by that at all.

I usually give disney a lot of crap for cutting projects, i wont this time though, i would totally understand it.

The Star Wars hotel is a lot further along than the Legendary Years build was. However, I agree that it's going to sit there for quite a while in it's unfinished state.

Legendary Years had the front check in building, enclosed and sided. Basic parking lot work and one, maybe two (3) building pods erected but not enclosed. Pads were poured for the rest of them but had not gone vertical.
we stayed on the back side of Pop one of the first times we went to disney, had no idea what it was. I have pictures somewhere of it, wish i could find them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!