Will any projects permanently halt due to COVID-19?

Thinking it depends on how much stuff was al ready paid for and in storage for spaceship earth. If the majority of new thing are al ready ready to go they may just go and do it.

When things are in storage to long. Bad thing happens to it.

That Star Wars wars hotel is toast.

The entire concept won't allow for social distancing. It will be on hold at least until a vaccine is in play.

This would make the walking path/bridge from GF to MK even more important to finish. I hope it is completed.

This was one of the big worries I first had. I love that path and have missed it being closed. I'm now worried it will never be finished and stay closed off for no reason. Walking the loop would have been nice but before the social distancing aspects of avoiding the monorail/ferry boats came up, I doubt many people would have walked that far.

Actually I disagree. It’s a small boutique hotel. It’s better suited than many. Also you can’t wait until a vaccine comes because that may never come.
I would expect to see projects that are far along, get completed. I would not be surprised to see projects that have barely started, be delayed ( thinking the new DVC resort).
I think the Star Wars hotel is an entirely separate issue. I'm sure Disney has done their homework to see how much interest there is in this resort. But, at its expected high cost, if the economy doesn't improve quickly, I could see them delay this until the economy improves. Nobody knows how close it is to being completed. If its very close, I would expect them to finish it .

I would expect to see projects that are far along, get completed. I would not be surprised to see projects that have barely started, be delayed ( thinking the new DVC resort).
I think the Star Wars hotel is an entirely separate issue. I'm sure Disney has done their homework to see how much interest there is in this resort. But, at its expected high cost, if the economy doesn't improve quickly, I could see them delay this until the economy improves. Nobody knows how close it is to being completed. If its very close, I would expect them to finish it .
Well we have aerial images of it. The structure is done. The vast majority is interior and we can’t see that of course, exterior would be paint and landscaping which is rather simple in the grand scheme of things. Like you said though the economy is a big question mark.

I wonder if the walking path from the GF got greenlit partly because of the monorail reliability issues? (and the potential service hiccup if they replaced the trains.)

Whoever pitched that is probably looking smart in light of social distancing. I can see walking being really attractive over getting in a train or small boat.

This was one of the big worries I first had. I love that path and have missed it being closed. I'm now worried it will never be finished and stay closed off for no reason. Walking the loop would have been nice but before the social distancing aspects of avoiding the monorail/ferry boats came up, I doubt many people would have walked that far.
Since the swing bridge is in place where the majority of the cost was, I am betting it will be finished. The remaining bridge is relatively low cost.

The thing about Star Wars hotel, is the build out cost for the interior. It is a lot higher than a normal hotel.

My thoughts, the path will be put on hold, eventually finished, but maybe delayed a year or two. Longer the delay, less likely it will be finished.

Star Wars Hotel, while it is a small boutique hotel, it is supposed to be highly immersive, hence the finishing's on the inside will be quite costly. I think it will be left alone for a long period of time (2 years or more), until they know the full impact of COVID on WDW. They are losing tons of money right now, no reason to put a ton of money into finishing this hotel, which will be quite costly to guests only to find out that people do truly change how they are traveling and then you can't book it up to recover your costs. If in a year, they see bookings back to normal and people are paying for extras, like tour guides, etc and Disney Cruise Line gets back to normal at the rates they were charging before, then it makes a case to continue star wars hotel. But I think it is 50/50 at best to ever being completed. Disney doesn't care about the building being done, they have shown that in the past. They will let it sit as a shell for 10 years and either make it something new or tear it down.

I agree the Star Wars hotel is toast. 9/11 stopped the other half of Pop Century being finished and this is an expensive hotel costing thousands for two night only. People will not spend that sort of money when they can spend less and get more time in others.

I agree the Star Wars hotel is toast. 9/11 stopped the other half of Pop Century being finished and this is an expensive hotel costing thousands for two night only. People will not spend that sort of money when they can spend less and get more time in others.

https://ziggyknowsdisney.com/star-wars-hotel-construction-updates/
Paused for sure but cancelled I don't think so. It's VERY far along. HVAC is already up. Pop Legendary Years wasn't even half as far along. It was a shell basically.

Yea I don't see it being cancelled. The people that were willing to pay it it before will all likely be willing to pay for it in the future. It was never an affordable resort to begin with. I jsut don't see the concept of being stuck inside with a group of people being that appealing at the start plus all the additional staff it would require. I imainge it will be dealyed a couple years but not ancelled.

You can pretty much count on it.

Off the top of my head, Mary Poppins won't happen. Portions of the Epcot re-do will be cancelled/severely scaled back. At least with Epcot, they have to do something - they can't leave bare ground and construction walls around indefinitely. The Spaceship Earth 5.0 makeover will be scrapped for now.

Tron and Guardians will likely continue. Ratatouille will be completed, although the opening will be delayed a few months.

the Play Pavilion may be delayed, but probably cancelled for the time being.

Steve
The fact that Mary Poppins has taken this long to get her own attraction is insane and now it sounds like it might be cancelled which as we all have seen means "will never happen" is criminal. Makes me so sad.

The fact that Mary Poppins has taken this long to get her own attraction is insane and now it sounds like it might be cancelled which as we all have seen means "will never happen" is criminal. Makes me so sad.

I still believe in Mary Poppins! It may be delayed for years, it may be a different attraction than whatever they originally planned, but I truly believe that a Cherry Tree Lane expansion to the UK pavilion is too perfect to just disappear forever.

I still believe in Mary Poppins! It may be delayed for years, it may be a different attraction than whatever they originally planned, but I truly believe that a Cherry Tree Lane expansion to the UK pavilion is too perfect to just disappear forever.
I hope you are right.

I am hesitant to believe any cancellation rumor however I do enjoy a few speculations!

The Star Wars Hotel will be built, all 50th anniversary plans will be completed and I also believe all EPCOT projects will be completed as planned, just maybe delayed but they'll be built!

One thing I learned from watching Disney+ shows is management takes note of past mistakes (even though it does not appear to the common eye) and attempts to never repeat them. I think if they go with EPCOT opening later in the reopening phases, it means they are using that time to construct while having no visitors in the park. Earlier closing at the other parks could also help with getting projects finished on time or slightly delayed. I have full confidence that Disney's future will be bright!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter