Will any projects permanently halt due to COVID-19?

Disney will finish that Star Wars hotel as soon as its financially reasonable for them. That was too widely announced and too high profile for them to scrap that completely. So - delayed - of course. But I'm not placing bets on how long. I think this is a project they will want to finish as soon as reasonable.

This was discussed on the earnings call with shareholders last week. They did mention that they are looking at the possibility of delaying some projects- but didn't name any specifically. I have read that many of the projects that are ongoing at the moment are already paid for, so things like the walking paths and the disaster that is EPCOT, I would expect to be completed. I selfishly hope they cancel the Spaceship Earth redo. I am just not ready to part ways with that nostalgia just yet.

I expect the projects that are part way finished will get completed. The GF to MK pathway, the EPCOT work that has started. Guardians of the Galaxy, Ratatouille, Tron, the updates in France, Space 220 and the entrance to EPCOT will get finished.
I could see the beautiful Event center in EPCOT and the update to SE be delayed.
I think the StarWars hotel will be completed with a short delay, as its too high of profile to delay.
I wouldn't be surprsed to see Reflections get delayed as they haven't done much there yet. If the Riviera takes off and sells well, then Reflections will become a priority.

I expect the projects that are part way finished will get completed. The GF to MK pathway, the EPCOT work that has started. Guardians of the Galaxy, Ratatouille, Tron, the updates in France, Space 220 and the entrance to EPCOT will get finished.
Gotta agree here, with some little delays, but I would think all of these are safe.

I could see the beautiful Event center in EPCOT and the update to SE be delayed.
I expect SSE update will be delayed, and quite possible dialed down. I am starting to question if the center of EPCOT design remains the same. I have heard from many insiders that the whole plan for that central area is being re-looked at(in other words cost cut some).

I think the StarWars hotel will be completed with a short delay, as its too high of profile to delay.
I wouldn't be surprsed to see Reflections get delayed as they haven't done much there yet. If the Riviera takes off and sells well, then Reflections will become a priority.
I have to agree here - to me Disney really needs the Star Wars hotel to go, as it will give them another staple to try and make SWL successful, and give them an interactive edge somewhat. That being said, the cost is going to be high, so it may not be that successful early, so a delay should be expected.
I am going to disagree on Reflections - I have heard many insiders say this will be greatly delayed and or potentially cut...but my gut says no. This is actually potentially a very good add as it could open things up for the camp ground as well for access to the parks and such - with new ranch and all. I think this gets done, it will be delayed, but I don't see it cut entirely.

I think the StarWars hotel will be completed with a short delay, as its too high of profile to delay
Here’s my dismal take....I don’t think many people outside of the Uber-fans have a clue that hotel is being built. Disney only cares about profitability; if you look at other examples (like the Pirate and Princess parties and the Starlit Hui), Disney will stop (or retool to monetize) anything that isn’t profitable enough. Also, many years of lodging discount tactics (like free dining) have shown us that Disney does not like to discount rooms, as it alters the perception of room value and makes it harder to sell at rack rate.

So, if they think they can’t open and continue to operate 365 days a year (or close) at full occupancy and at rack rate, it will be halted until they do. I’ve been saving my Disney Visa rewards for a stay there, but I fear now they will be expired before it opens. I hope you’re right and I’m wrong, though.

This was discussed on the earnings call with shareholders last week. They did mention that they are looking at the possibility of delaying some projects- but didn't name any specifically. I have read that many of the projects that are ongoing at the moment are already paid for, so things like the walking paths and the disaster that is EPCOT, I would expect to be completed. I selfishly hope they cancel the Spaceship Earth redo. I am just not ready to part ways with that nostalgia just yet.

Me too. Partly because of nostalgia. Partly because I what I think it may turn into. Seems like lots of folks in decision making positions everywhere these days look to push agendas instead of entertainment.

So how will projects be effected by celebrations later in the decade? America has a 250th birthday in 2026 and Mickey has a 100th birthday in 2028.

I agree with this list of completions and delays. Disney will NEED these items completed to draw in visitors to spend money and help bring back up their profits. You have to spend money to make money....as the saying goes.

The Star Wars hotel will be a big draw to its fan base. From what I have seen, a large portion of that fan base has expendable cash for such immersive experiences.

This was published by the Orlando Business Journal earlier this afternoon. I can't link the full article as it's locked (I'm a subscriber).

Some new theme park construction activity is underway at Walt Disney World's planned new Star Wars hotel in Orlando.
The theme park giant, owned and operated by Burbank, California-based The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS), has begun set build out for its Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser resort. A notice of commencement, which is a document signaling the start of work, was filed with Orange County on May 13 for the "fabrication and installation of sets" at Disney's Project H, the rumored codename for the Star Wars hotel.
The work is being handled by Argyle, New York-based Adirondack Scenic Inc., which builds highly themed, intricate sets. The company has done work for Disney and Universal theme parks in the past.
Executives with Disney and Adirondack were not available for comment.
However, the notice's description of set pieces being installed — and a look at some of Adirondack's work — suggests the iconic set pieces that Star Wars is known for are coming to reality. For example, the work may include bringing to life the futuristic-looking environments and props that guests expect to see when they begin their Star Wars hotel experience.

Last edited:
Epcot has to be finish. They can not leave it as is. Other projects not far along will be stop for a few years. Then look at again.
We don’t know what the future holds. With people losing jobs. Vacation will not be a priority this year and next.
in a few years Disney think it wise to complete different projects. At that time. And conditions.
When people return they wI’ll want new things

While I think it's highly unlikely the Star Wars hotel will be cancelled, I don't see how it can possibly work until COVID is fully under control. Not only is it designed to be a highly immersive and interactive experience that does not lend itself to social distancing, but based on what I have read, its designed to operate more or less like a cruise ship, with all guests checking in and checking out at the same time in two day chunks, which only makes things more fraught. It remains unclear how much time an average guest would be expected to remain "on board" to get the full experience or if it could more or less function as a regular resort for guests who just wanted the special access to the Star Wars part of DHS and the theming, but essentially went to the parks the same way they would if staying elsewhere, but if its more like the former, its likely to have an even harder time attracting guests if COVID is not under control.

Here's what I think.

1. Economically, the star wars hotel will be a top priority. They have a ton invested. They do not need a lot of people to have money for this pay out as it will only have about 70 rooms. So as long as 300 - 400 people per week have a couple.thousand dollars to spend, they will make a huge profit on that project.

2. Mary Poppins is probably gone. We dont even know what it is. Not worth the money now. Hopefully in a few years.

3. Moana and Play Pavillion are the biggest questions to me. Maybe by the EPCOT anniversary? I know they desperately want to make EPCOT more kid friendly.

4. Ratatouille and Space 220 are almost ready. These will be fine.

5. Tron is tested. They have made this ride before. They know how to do it, know people will like it, and it is highly anticipated. So less of a financial risk. I think this will be ready by the 50th. Maybe on the 50th.

6. Guardians of the Galaxy. I think it will come with delays. They've made a big deal about it and EPCOT could use more rides like this. They also have a ton of money sunk into this.

7. Barbeque in Toy Story. The area really needs more food and shade. Probably a delay, but I think we will get it. Part of the construction is finished and recent park images showed this being worked on.

8. New fireworks shows. Should be ready by the 50th.

9. EPCOT Spaceship Earth. Be ready for an added scene about the world coming together for the pandemic! This wasnt supposed to be ready for the 50th. It is closed now and I anticipate an unveiling for EPCOT's anniversary

10. Expansion to the skyline. Never announced, only a rumor. I expect this to be very delayed.

11. New EPCOT country. Definitely a no go for now.

In short, Disney will need to make that 50th anniversary year as profitable as possible. So new rides and restaurants will need to open so that people do not delay going to the park for a year to wait for these things.

I think there will be a delay in the Star Wars hotel, yes its only 70 rooms but at $7000 for a two day stay they are going to find it hard to get that many people every day of the year for the hotel. When you can stay at others for longer and less. I mean after 9/11 the numbers visiting dropped dramatically so its going to be worse after this pandemic as people's savings are going to have been wiped out by it.

I think there will be a delay in the Star Wars hotel, yes its only 70 rooms but at $7000 for a two day stay they are going to find it hard to get that many people every day of the year for the hotel. When you can stay at others for longer and less. I mean after 9/11 the numbers visiting dropped dramatically so its going to be worse after this pandemic as people's savings are going to have been wiped out by it.

One thing is though, that with the exception of Galaxy's Edge somehow being incorporated into the Star Wars hotel experience, I don't think the idea is to visit the parks while you are at the Star Wars hotel. I think Disney was already planning that most of its guests would likely only go to the Star Wars hotel or tack it on to their normal length WDW vacation.

I also wonder if they'll want to do a lot of restructuring to make any new attraction more pandemic-proof. It's possible that Covid-19 stays around indefinitely, and even if it grows much more manageable, this experience has highlighted how quickly and easily a global pandemic can spread. There could always be another one down the road. Given that Disney is one mass gathering that goes on pretty much all day every day, my thought is that they will start investing heavily in germ-proofing things moving forward.

I think EPCOT will get the festival center in some form. It seemed like it was going to be the first part of the new center of the park to be built anyway so it may already be paid for, and they may already have the materials. They need a festival center of some kind. If they scrap Play, they could always move the festival center back there. Barring that, I don’t think they’d finished tearing down Innoventions West when the parks closed. I wonder if a really extensive renovation of what’s left of that would be cheaper than building a whole new building....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter