Will Disney Ever Release Song Of The South on DVD and Blue-Ray?

retlt72

Earning My Ears
I wonder if anyone has heard anything about Disney releasing Song Of The South on Blu-ray and or DVD. There are always rumors that the release is comming soon but it never happens. Wondering what the latest is last I heard it is this year!

Hi Guys, i have taken the below information from wikipedia... maybe a sensored version could be made

Despite rumors of an imminent DVD release, Disney CEO Robert Iger stated on March 10, 2006 at a Disney Shareholder Meeting that it had been decided that the company would not re-release it for the time being.[20] At the annual shareholders meeting in March 2007, Iger announced that the company was reconsidering the decision, and have decided to look into the possibility of releasing the film.[21] In May 2007, it was again reported that the Disney company has chosen not to release the film.[22] However, rumors to the contrary continued to surface.[23] In March 2010, Disney CEO Robert Iger reiterated that there are no current plans to release the movie on DVD, calling the film 'antiquated' and 'fairly offensive'.[24] Most recently, however, on November 15, 2010, Disney creative director Dave Bossert stated in an interview, “I can say there’s been a lot of internal discussion about 'Song of the South'. And at some point we’re going to do something about it. I don’t know when, but we will. We know we want people to see 'Song of the South' because we realize it’s a big piece of company history, and we want to do it the right way.”[25]

Last month at the Disney Shareholder meeting someone asked about it. Godfather Iger said he and all the other Disney executives hate this film. He said it's a sad chapter in the Company's history that is best forgotten. He said it would't be appropriate to use the Company's resources to bring the film into the public light.

In other words, it's a Sicilian message. It means "Song of the South" sleeps with the fishes.

:angel:

bobsig.JPG

To coincide with the 150th anniversary of the Civil War it would be the perfect time to release it!

A shame that "political correctness" will never allow Disney to release it. A real shame because in spite of what Iger thinks, it's one of the better movies Disney ever made.

Son of the South is such a wonderful movie. I am so amazed that they would keep this movie in the vault and never release it. We might as well stop showing most movies from that peroid also. You would find very few movies from that peroid that are "political correct".

How come no one ever complains that Gone With The Wind is not politically correct? Enough nonsense, I think there is alot to be learned about attitudes years ago from Song Of The South. Let's get it out there!

They need to take a cue from Warner Brothers (HA!). When WB released the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, they eventually got to a VERY uncomfortable period of history. The discs with most of these cartoons had a prominent African American celebrity issue a disclaimer that these cartoons were made in a different time, do not represent the current views of the company, and are shown for the historical perspective.

Disclaimer the heck out of the thing, and release it.

I find it ridiculous that one of the main rides at MK is based on a movie that most of the riders have likely never seen.

I totally agree with you, Disney can surely market Song of the South with offending anyone, it's a movie that should be shown. We can't ignore they way movies portayed certain peoples and events but ideas and attitudes change with the times

It's simple. Make it an exculsive through the Disney Movie Club. I agree with the disclaimer portion, but for heaven sake do not try to edit the thing. They did that with Peco Bill's smoking and the Martin and McCoy's feudin. It is what it is, so stop trying to spin the past to make it palatable for the present's taste.

Song Of The south should be released, it's to bad that a company thinks it has to be politically correct, like choosing sides or something. just release the movie and let people make up their own minds if they want to watch it or not. I did happen to come across a dvd version at a very low price at: songofthesouth.weebly.com If people are still looking for a DVD version, it's worth taking a look at. So Disney is leaving us to fend for ourselves, it's a shame such a classic is being treated as an unwanted guest at dinner.

Song of the South should have been released as a Walt Disney Treasures release, when they were still producing those sets. Now that they aren't, yes, they should release it as a blu-ray/DVD. I doubt we will ever see it released though. Half the time, they act like it does not exist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter