Will we need passports to cross the border?

MelindaKiah

<font color=teal>DIS Veteran<br><font color=magent
We will be crossing at the Ogdensburg border...there will be 6 of us..me, hubby and 4 kids. We've never needed passports before, but it's been about 4 years since we even crossed the border. Do we now need passports?

Thanks!!:D

We went over at the end of Sept and didn't need them although I carried them with us. It depends on the person at the border!:rolleyes: You're best to carry them with you!

If you have them, you're safer to take them because it will make things easier at the border. We live near Niagara Falls and cross on a regular basis and have never had a problem just using drivers licenses and birth certificates. From what I understand, Canada and the US have some kind of treaty which means we don't need passports as proof of citizenship - a birth certificate (and photo id for you & your husband) should be fine.

It's a little pricey to buy passports if you're travelling to a destination where they're not really necessary. We actually travelled to St. Lucia, West Indies last year and because it's a British Commonwealth as we are, we did not need passports for that trip either. Saved us $170.

We don't actually have them. It would be quite pricey, as there are 6 of us and it's going to be tight money-wise to begin with.

So, as long as we have driver's licences and birth certificates, we won't be turned away, is that correct??

I'd hate to drive from Nova Scotia to Ontario and then get turned away at the border!LOL But, then again, if I can save that money, that would be great too!!:D

You can take the kids to Access Nova Scotia and have photo ID's made, just bring in their birth certificates and health cards and yours as well, better to be safe then sorry. They look just like the drivers license, Kelsey actually thinks she has a license to DRIVE! I think they are $15, but I'm not sure about that. Hope this helps!

Jennifer

Just noticed that you won your trip to Universal - Congratulations! We won our St. Lucia trip... it's so nice to take a vacation especially when somebody else is paying the bill! To get the kids a photo id is a great idea... just a bit of extra insurance that you won't have any trouble.

Kelsey'smom:

That is a GREAT idea! Now to just find access Nova Scotia!!LOL We aren't from here, just posted here with the military.

Thanks for letting me know about these cards!!:D

beglluvr,

You won a trip to St. Lucia? That's awesome!!!

Yeah, I got really lucky. Was playing an online instant win game, trying to win tickets to the Hulk movie!LOL It was for 4 people and we have 6 in our family, but that's okay!LOL Instead of airfare, we asked for an extra room cuz we're going to drive and visit family along the way. We are SOOOOOO excited!!

Melinda
:D

Hi Melinda,
It is where you go for your drivers license, it use to be called the Department of Motor Vechiles and they have them in most cities, I'm not sure where you are posted but if you check the phone book or maybe online I'm sure you'll find it. Good Luck!
Jennifer

You should have no problem. We have crossed at least 2 dozen times post 9/11 with only ever b.c. and drivers licenses.

Crossed the boarder last week, and while many seemed to have the passport, I had no problem using my birth certificate and drivers license. :)

Hi Guys! I'm a transplanted Nova Scotian, now living in Ottawa. Melinda, I lived in Greenwood for 6 years before coming here in '97.

Small world!!!:D

I'd give anything to be outta here and back in Ontario!!:(

It's pretty and all, but I miss my family and am finding the area rather....um, I guess slow would be one word for it!LOL

You're right, things do certainly move at a slower pace, not much of a "sense of urgency".
You know what I miss? The hot rolls from the Farmer's Market and Sam's Pizza ( is Sam's still there?). It also took a bit of getting used too that cashier's didn't know you by name or at least know your story ( i.e, "how's the baby" etc) You're lucky if the cashier greets you or looks you in the eye up here. We were not happy to come to Ottawa, although it was #3 on DH's posting preferences. We had asked for Halifax. We love it here now, I tell everybody it is the "Land of Milk and Honey!". Our children were both born in the fall, and had we stayed there, would not have started school until 2 yrs after they started junior kindergarten here.(I would have been in the funny farm by then).Sometimes we think about a posting back to G'Wood, and think, wow, with houses so cheap, maybe we'll buy two! Seriously, though, we owned our home there, but it took 3 yrs after we came here before we could buy. We paid more than twice as much for this townhouse as our 3 bdrm split entry (on 3/4 acres) cost us there. I certainly wouldn't have had the opportunity for the career I have, either, so we are very happy to be here now. The nice thing was that almost everybody in our area moved to Ottawa when we did, so all our neighbors were in the same situation, getting to know people, making new friends,etc, and although we moved across town 2.5 yrs ago, nobody's been posted out yet, and we've made some lifelong friends. Bet you didn't expect this long winded response!

Well, there is no Farmer's Market and no Sam's pizza here now. It's just way too slow for me. To be honest, I really hate it here. No jobs, my kids are bored out of their tree...besides hubby being home all the time now, it just plain stinks. We hope to get another posting as soon as humanly possible, but it will probably be a few years anyways.

I know housing is cheap here, but the cost of living is way too high for us. Milk prices and food in general is outta this world!! Or maybe I'm just being nitpicky cuz I don't like it. But, with milk being $6 a bag (and we have 4 kids!), that is over the top.

And, I WANT A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing available here and it makes it hard with the 6 of us on one income. But, you make due. Such is military life!LOL

Good to meet ya!!

Melinda

In regards to the passports we did get them because we were going to the U.S. right after 9-11. I don't think we would have had any trouble crossing the border, but I'll tell you they were very convenient for the airport.

ps Love your name, ::yes::I have never met anyone with the same name as myself! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter