Will your kids wear masks?

Two sons ages 9 and 7 and yes they will wear them.

I mean, they don't like it and I don't like wearing one either. It is a nonnegotiable and we do it for the safety of others. We want this over ASAP so we will wear them.
I agree and personally have no problem wearing a mask. But the only place I go is the grocery store and I can tolerate it for an hour. My kids haven't been anywhere, so we haven't tried it with them yet. I just can't imagine them wearing it in a theme park all day.

My 5 year old loves it. The 3 and 6 year old will not keep one on. We got them in case we need them but don’t go anywhere.

Requirement for Disney is 3 and up.

We bought proper children's reusable face mask and our 6 and 3 year old wear them without issues. The designs help a little I think. Our 3 year old at least thinks he's cool with it on. Do they complain everyone now and then? Sure. But I remind them its that or back to the house.
would you mind sharing where you got yours?

I’m impressed your 4 year old wore it through an entire appointment! I have ordered masks for my kids, but haven’t received them yet. My 6 year old is excited because he thinks he’ll look like a ninja (lol). But I predict the novelty of that will wear off quickly! I just imagine them messing with it constantly and I can’t imagine dealing with it at Disney. I don’t disagree with a mask requirement, but as a parent I don’t want to have to worry about it during our vacation.

My 6yr old is also excited to look like a ninja! We'll see how he does when we actually HAVE to wear them.

My Daughter is disabled and has sensory issues, the two times I took her in the store she threw up from the mask. So now she just stays home, I finally called her Dr. and he is writing her a note, just not sure how this will work, I hope people are not rude to her she is so highly sensitive. We will not be taking any trips until the mask requirement s lifted. I could not be on a plane for 8 plus hours with a mask then walk around DW with one, no way.

Our DS10 wore it for the first time yesterday when we went to a local plants nursery. Masks are not mandatory where we live (SW Ontario) but the occasional place requires it, including this nursery. This is the first time we took DS out in public since the quarantine and we explained to him he had to wear a mask. It was a pretty hot day at 85 degrees and after spending roughly 1 hr there, I knew for sure that if masks are required at Disney we will not be going in the summer months. It was gross. I’m not opposed to putting one on where required, but I guess will choose not to vacation until this is no longer a requirement . DS was OK wearing It for a bit, but can’t see it all day in the heat. If I was an Orlando local, I would definitely put it on for a short visit though.
I imagine most kids will be the same, they will wear it but not necessarily all day.

My children (6, 4, 2.5) have been wearing them without issue, beyond that they occasionally slip off their faces if they're moving around quickly and we've tried a few different types. In our large metropolitan area, children are wearing them even walking in the park or out for a bike ride in the neighborhood when very socially distanced so I seriously hope people at a crowded spot like a theme park are willing to do the same.

We likely won't be doing Disney trips until things are more stable (and maybe not for a few years.. we're okay with that). But yes, I'll require them to wear them everywhere when we're back out in indoor public places. Our schools sound like they'll be asking children to wear them, come September, and I will 100% support that and send them off to preschool, PreK and 1st grade with them. Children with sensory disorders or other disabilities look like they'll be able to get a waiver exemption.

My son is 5 and yes. We golf together and while we don't have to wear them while golfing on the course, we do have to wear them in common areas (going to the restroom inside, or getting our carts etc) and he's aware of why we do it, and how we don't touch the front of it etc. So far so good. But he's got it on for no longer than 30 minutes and it was about 75 degrees every time we've golfed.

So if we went to Disney he would wear it, but we would need lots of breaks and probably only be in the parks for no more than 2 hours total at one time.

My Daughter is disabled and has sensory issues, the two times I took her in the store she threw up from the mask. So now she just stays home, I finally called her Dr. and he is writing her a note, just not sure how this will work, I hope people are not rude to her she is so highly sensitive. We will not be taking any trips until the mask requirement s lifted. I could not be on a plane for 8 plus hours with a mask then walk around DW with one, no way.
Will Disney be making exceptions for things like this though? They legally do not have to. Accommodations do not have to be given when they are overly burdensome on a business or when they could endanger someone else or public health. A note may not work for this, especially because a lot of people will try to forge them. I wouldn't count on Disney making exceptions to this. They have thousands of people with disabilities in the park every day and if eve half of those cant wear a mask, with the volume of people, Disney could have a huge public health issue. I'd definitely call to check on masks related to disabilities before going. Sounds like pausing on trips until things are back to normal as you said may be the best way to go

Will Disney be making exceptions for things like this though? They legally do not have to. Accommodations do not have to be given when they are overly burdensome on a business or when they could endanger someone else or public health. A note may not work for this, especially because a lot of people will try to forge them. I wouldn't count on Disney making exceptions to this. They have thousands of people with disabilities in the park every day and if eve half of those cant wear a mask, with the volume of people, Disney could have a huge public health issue. I'd definitely call to check on masks related to disabilities before going. Sounds like pausing on trips until things are back to normal as you said may be the best way to go
I should of been clearer there is no way we are going to Disneyworld till things get back to normal. I was just concerned how people will react locally at our stores if she does not where a mask. I was not asking for Disney to make any exceptions nor would I forge a note so need for me to call because we are not going.

My special needs 7 year old (functionality of about 3-4) surprised the heck out of me by wearing one for 6 hours during a medical evaluation last week. Only took it down for water and 1 quick snack. We have been practicing on an off for a few hours a week for WDW but she said it was fine. My eldest is 8 and has been doing fine with it as well...

My 15 year old not only wears a mask but is the one choosing to put it on. We are in an area of low incidence both in our state and in our county so they are not required for customers outside a few places of business that have them required for all stores nationwide.
I have been cautioned against covering my face by my medical provider due to my not getting 100% oxygen levels under normal circumstances and not needing to restrict so I have had to have a few heated discussions with 15 year old about why I am not going to be wearing a face covering and I just will not go into places of business that require them. I am also limiting my going out though I am going for drives now that I have a vehicle I can drive back.
12 year old has sensory issues and it has been a battle to even try any sort of a face covering in case when we did a quick day trip about an hour drive from our home if a bathroom was needed and the place required masks to be worn we could go in long enough to use them (I would just have to hope that I did not put my oxygen level so low I would need to use a treatment that is self administered or even worse need medical attention). It did not look like places were requiring masks but then the only business we stopped at was a gas station and DH was the only one who went in. We did get out at some open roadside areas but there was no one even close enough to see. (we might have spotted someone if we had brought along the binoculars but we didn't).

A trip to Disney is not even on the remote radar for my family even before this all hit due to lack of funding to make the trip. I would be happy if we could get some money in savings for emergencies and not need to use it as soon as we have 1-2K (2 roof replacements plus 1 siding replacement on one side of our house, a furnance repair, and multiple vehicle problems over the past 10 years makes it hard to get funds for a Disney Trip).

So I’ve had my kids wear their masks for a few quick trips into the store. They wore them without complaint, but it was under 15 minutes each time. I can’t imagine doing it all day in the Florida heat. I personally think Disney is doing the right thing by requiring them, but I can’t see it working for our family. The earliest we would be back is next spring break, so if they’re still required at that point I don’t know if we would go. But maybe by then we will all be so used to it, it would be easier! And this will probably work to Disney’s advantage as far as lowering attendance. The restrictions will keep some people away.

My almost 4 and 6 year old have worn them sparingly. My 4 year old doesn't understand and just rips it off. My 6 year old understands and wears it but he has worn it for like 15 minutes the most. I have no idea how they would do if they had to wear it on a flight for 3 hours or all day at a theme park. DH has said he wants to cancel if masks are required. We live in MA and are currently under an order where we must wear them if we leave our house and cannot social distance. We would even have to wear them to the beach. I am thinking maybe I will experiment a little and put them on the kids more while we play in our backyard and go for walks with the dog around our neighborhood just to feel them out. I am hopeful the mask requirement is loosened a little by our trip mid-November.

My children (6, 4, 2.5) have been wearing them without issue, beyond that they occasionally slip off their faces if they're moving around quickly and we've tried a few different types. In our large metropolitan area, children are wearing them even walking in the park or out for a bike ride in the neighborhood when very socially distanced so I seriously hope people at a crowded spot like a theme park are willing to do the same.

We likely won't be doing Disney trips until things are more stable (and maybe not for a few years.. we're okay with that). But yes, I'll require them to wear them everywhere when we're back out in indoor public places. Our schools sound like they'll be asking children to wear them, come September, and I will 100% support that and send them off to preschool, PreK and 1st grade with them. Children with sensory disorders or other disabilities look like they'll be able to get a waiver exemption.

The idea of children wearing masks away from their parent's supervision really bothers me. The can overheat quickly and not be aware of the signs. A couple of middle school aged children have died in China while in school doing physical education. Even the CDC says that a person should not wear a mask while doing physical activity. I think that this really needs to be evaluated with all of the pros and cons.

I think the question is with as many kids going to Disney and this obviously going to be a fight especially in the hot summer months, is how seriously will Disney be about enforcing this...

Our two older kids would wear the masks. Our youngest would most definitely not. He has some sensory issues and a mask is not something he could tolerate for more than a few minutes, especially in the heat.

When we eventually go again, it will have to be when the mask enforcement is lifted. No biggie, it just gives us more time to save to have a longer visit or to stay at a deluxe. :flower:

My 8 and 5 year old each had to wear a mask for about an hour at their annual well check at the doctor's office, and they did fairly well. I think it would definitely take more practice, but they could probably get by with wearing a mask for longer time periods. (I think July in FL would be pushing it, but our trip is scheduled for November at the moment.) My youngest just turned 2 and that is a completely different story. I see a few people on this thread mentioned having a 2 and a half year old that wore a mask. Any tips you'd care to share? I cannot get my 2 year old to wear a bow or headband in her hair for more than 5 mins, and I have limited success with hats, gloves, etc.

My kids will. 12-year-old is great at wearing his. No tugging, touching, etc. 10-year-old is less tolerant; I think we need to try different combinations, as his complaint is the elastics hurt his ears. He is also the one who doesn't like wearing clothes in general, so I think there are some mild sensory issues there. 4-year-old will wear hers, but I've not tested her with extended wearing. If we go anywhere requiring extended wearing, we will work to acclimate them all to the masks before we leave home. We might go on a vacation this summer (not WDW) requiring a plane ride, so it would be important for them all to be able to mask appropriately for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!