• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Window-Does it matter/MB?

TinkerbellRules

DIS Veteran
We talked with a rep this week who stated it didn't matter where you purchased. I remembered reading on here that the booking window really does matter during peak times. Is that right? The MB and lower dues make HH more appealing, but we absolutely loved VWL!

Also, we were told we needed to decide on purchasing during our stay for MB benefits? Has anyone heard of this? I mean, we had a whole day to think about it! We didn't even have enough time to think with all the activities during the day/night. Also, we tried contacting the rep Fri night, but played phone tag. Tried on Sat, but he must have been out. DH will be down there on business in one week.

thanks for the advice!

As you will see, the buy where you plan to stay is the most important thing people will tell you.
If you plan on wanting to stay at WDW the most, then be aware that there will be times when it will be very dificult if not impossible to get reservations as you will be competing with the WDW home resort owners who have a 4 month advantage over you.

we didnt have to decide before we left on the MB. We thought it over once we got home. A week later, we called the rep and then the new MB started with the $10/point buyback for VWL. A couple days later we said ok, and all the docs just came in the mail with the MB offer as well. We are planning on sending the docs back this week.

Its just such a shame that the DVC sales reps are so dishonest.

They must get a higher bonus for selling points at the poorly selling HH and VB resorts.

Come on Rich, our rep has always been honest. However,
that said..............
It is best to buy where you wish to spend your vacation.
ralphd

I think it does matter when your use year is. Is it a major issue, NO, but it can be important. If you have a use year too close after your usual visit time and need to cancel, you may not be able to bank all or part of your points. How much this issue is worth depends on the family, health issues and other uncertainties. I would generally recommend a use year at 6 months or less than your usual visit times. I think 2-4 months is ideal. Remember that as the family situation changes, travel habits may change also.

hi: if you are uncomfortable with your guide or think you may have been misled, call and ask for a different guide. and yes, i'll repeat the mantra "buy where you plan to stay".

Thanks for all the advice! I never thought about our use year. He said it would be in June. Is that negotiable? We usually take vacations in the summer (beach or cruise) and as well as spring break (VWL), for now anyway. They are predicting VWL selling out in December, so we feel pressure to decide soon. We really loved that resort.

I also just didn't believe we had to decide right then to take advantage of MB. I thought it was no pressure! We'll see.

Sounds like Jan through April might work best for you depending on when your spring break normally is. You may be able to get one of these but may not be able to use the MB program also since there will be less than 6 months left in the use year. Put the preasure on them and you may be able to use both.

June would work great for summer but not spring break. March or April are likely the best choices. As others will point out, it's not a big deal for most. For some who have a lot of potential changes with vacation, it can be important.

Ok, I'm still a little confused on this use year thing. Could you explain again why it is important? I'm trying to understand, really ;)

If you have a June use year and make reservations in May, at the end of your use year, and somethng comes up and you have to cancel the vacation, the points can not be banked. It is too late in your use year. You will only until May 31 to use those points.

Even if your usual vacation time is four months before your use year( or eight month after). You can be in a position where you need to cancel and be past your banking deadlines.

We bought in '92 with a Sept use year. We had no idea of the sifnificance of the use year. Luckily, our usual vacation is between October and January. We couldn't have picked a better use year.

And it was just blind luck

But again, its really not that big of a deal, certainly not a dealbreaker. The only time it will come into play is when canceling on short notice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter